University of Reading cookie policy

We use cookies on to improve your experience, monitor site performance and tailor content to you.

Read our cookie policy to find out how to manage your cookie settings.

Service Level Agreement

Policies and Procedures

I want to obtain property related advice. Can I instruct estate agents and property consultants directly?

You should contact Property Services in the first instance for all property related advice. Unless expressly agreed otherwise, staff are not permitted to seek external property services or advice directly. This includes international property related advice.

The University's framework consultants accept instructions from Property Services or other agreed contacts and to be assured the University will pay for property related advice or services this needs to be obtained via the Property Services Department.

In deciding whether a matter can be dealt with by the in-house property team or requires external advice, we will discuss the nature of the matter with you fully and, if external advice is appropriate, agree the scope of the services to be procured.

Who will pay for property services and advice?

Where external services are required, we will discuss with you prior to any instruction being made whether the advice will be paid for by the School or Function, or whether it will be funded by Property Services.

If the advice is linked to a specific project, by mutual agreement external advice will normally be charged to that project code and full details must be provided to us in order that a purchase order can be raised and the advice procured.

The objective is to provide professional, competitive and effective service in representing the University's interests in all property matters.

Property Services

  • New letting, freehold and leasehold transaction negotiations and ongoing contract management Rent reviews, lease renewals, asset enhancement initiatives
  • Support and liaison with Academic Departments and Directorate on all property matters
  • Business Rate and Council Tax appeals, negotiation, recovery and management
  • Tenant liaison and non-University / external organisations and relationship management
  • Termination of leases, evictions and possession orders (including relocation of travellers).
  • Ensuring compliance with statutory obligations relating to property ownership
  • Protection of the University's title and legal interests in the ownership of land
  • Advising on land law; landlord and tenant law on University property holdings
  • Building Insurance valuations and administration
  • Utility and repair cost recovery from third parties
  • Rent collection and financial control regarding all let properties
  • Valuation of interests in property for purchase, sale, investment and mortgaging
  • Maintenance of property database and tenancy records
  • Staff housing policy implementation, administration and review
  • Management of external organisations, customers, local authorities, consultants and contractors.
  • Licences to occupy, use or alter buildings
  • Negotiation and administration of Telecommunications (base station) leases and licences
  • Negotiation and administration of farm business tenancies, grazing fishing and sporting rights
  • Dealing with enquiries from general public, media, and community groups on all property related matters
  • Wayleaves and Easements

Property Investment and Development

  • Investment viability and discounted cash flow (DCF) appraisals to accurately ascertain true investment performance returns
  • Appraisal and RICS red-book valuation and planning analysis of development opportunities
  • Budgeting and management of finances
  • Source opportunities and undertake market searches for properties to be acquired
  • Comprehensive asset management service

Building Surveying

  • Help and advice on day to day maintenance, including investigations and feasibility studies
  • Health and Safety issues relating to leased properties
  • Building condition surveys
  • Inspections and diagnosis of building defects
  • Help and advice on day to day maintenance, including investigations, feasibility studies and undertaking maintenance
  • Development, refurbishment and maintenance project management
  • Planning and Building Control advice
  • Dilapidations negotiations
Things to do now


Property Property_Services