The Student Welfare team is here to help you with any personal difficulties you may experience during your time at the University.
The team is made up of professional welfare staff who are able to advise you on a wide range of personal and welfare issues that may impact your studies and day-to-day life, including:
- Settling in and adjusting to University life
- Crisis support
- Difficulties with flat/housemates
- Family or relationship issues
- Harassment and bullying
- Drug or alcohol issues
- If you are victim of violence (crime/sexual/domestic)
- Struggling to manage carer responsibilities
- Concerns about a friend
- If you don’t know where to go for help
Contact the team
Due to the management of your safety and particular needs in relation to COVID 19 we will be looking to meet with you as necessary through booked appointments.
Arranging to speak to a Duty Welfare Officer– As the first place you can email the team at email@example.com and ask to speak to one of the team.
A member of the team will contact you to understand your situation and consider the help and support you might need.
This could be giving you advice and information, sign posting you to specialist support or advice services, or simply talking things through with you, looking at what practical assistance is needed and helping you to come up with a plan of action. Appointments to meet with you can also be arranged.
If you require longer term support we will look to connect you with your designate School Welfare Officer.
You can also call 0118 378 4777 - Monday – Friday between 10:00 and 16:00 to speak a member of the team and arrange an appointment if needed.
In an emergency
The Student Welfare team works alongside Academic Tutors and other University support services to provide wellbeing support for students in need. However, the team is not an emergency service and is only accessible Monday – Friday, 10am – 4pm.
If you are struggling to cope or need urgent help outside of these hours, we advise that you contact one of the following services:
- Your Doctor/GP Surgery - you can request an emergency appointment
- NHS non-emergency advice – call 111 (available 24/7)
- Emergency Services (Police, Ambulance, Fire Service) – 999 (only call this in an emergency).
- University Security - 0118 378 7799 (non-emergency)/ 0118 378 6300 (emergency).
- The Samaritans - 116 123 (available 24/7)
- Berkshire NHS mental health crisis number - 0300 365 0300 (available 24/7)