Things you will most likely need in your first few weeks
Important documents and identification
- Photo ID (this could be a valid passport, national identity card, Military ID or EU photo driving licence). You will require photo ID to collect your campus card on day one - If you do not have photo ID, please email email@example.com
- Passport will be required for ID and if you would like to work alongside studying, please ensure you bring your passport and/or birth certificate with you. These documents are needed to conduct 'right to work' checks for all students (UK and international).
- Official paperwork or letters you have received from the University regarding your offer or enrolment information
- Bank details, cards, account numbers you may need to hand
- National Insurance Number
- NHS card
- Details of your student finance arrangements (if applicable)
Don’t forget that the most important thing to bring is something that will make Reading feel like home - it could be photos of friends and family, posters, or your favourite bedding.
Don't worry if you forget anything, you can use the campus shops and Reading town centre will cater for everything you may need.
There are plenty of shops in Reading where you can buy these items cheaply. Buying some of your items in Reading after you’ve arrived, such as kitchen equipment, can save you having to pack and unpack heavy items, especially if you’re travelling from abroad. Read the latest information for International students.
Remember it is also easy to purchase online and arrange for your packages to be delivered to your accommodation. There are several amazon lockers on site and click and collect points on and near white knights campus, find out more. Particularly useful if you have to self-isolate.
Here is an extensive list of items you might want to bring or buy when you get to Reading - essential items as suggested by Studential.
There are some additional items we recommend you pack in light of the Coronavirus pandemic. This includes:
- Face coverings
- Over counter medication, such as paracetamol
- Arrival cleaning products
- Hand soap and hand sanitiser
If you’re living in University accommodation you are able to reserve a bedding or kitchen pack in advance and collect upon arrival. More information on this can be found in your halls e-induction and arrival booking.
Read the latest information on our response to COVID-19.