The Student Welfare team is here to help you with any personal difficulties you may experience during your time at the University.
The team is made up of professional welfare staff who are able to advise and support you on a wide range of personal and well-being issues that may impact your studies and day-to-day life. These could include:
- Settling in and adjusting to University life
- Crisis support
- Difficulties with flat/housemates
- Family or relationship issues
- Harassment and bullying
- Drug or alcohol issues
- If you are victim of violence (crime/sexual/domestic)
- Struggling to manage carer responsibilities
- Concerns about a friend
- If you don’t know where to go for help
Contact the team
There are 2 ways you can access help from the Student Welfare team:
- Appointment – you can email the team at firstname.lastname@example.org and ask to arrange an appointment with one of the Welfare Officers. This can be in person or by a Video or telephone call.
- Drop- In– The team offers a drop-in service in the Carrington building, where you can come along and speak to someone in person. Times are:
Monday – Thursday – 13:00 -16:00
Friday – 10:00 -16:00
At the drop–in or at your first appointment, a member of the team will speak to you to understand your situation and consider the help and support you might need.
This could be giving you advice and information, sign posting you to specialist support or advice services, or simply talking things through with you, looking at what practical assistance is needed and helping you to come up with a plan of action.
If you’re not based at the Whiteknights campus and it’s not convenient to drop in, you can call 0118 378 4777 Monday – Friday between 10:00 and 16:00 to speak a member of the team and arrange an appointment if needed.
In an emergency
The Student Welfare team works alongside Academic Tutors and other University support services to provide wellbeing support for students in need. However, the team is not an emergency service and is only accessible Monday – Friday, 10:00 – 16:00.
If you are struggling to cope or need urgent help outside of these hours, we advise that you contact one of the following services:
- Your Doctor/GP Surgery - you can request an emergency appointment
- NHS non-emergency advice – call 111 (available 24/7)
- Emergency Services (Police, Ambulance, Fire Service) – 999 (only call this in an emergency).
- University Security - 0118 378 7799 (non-emergency)/ 0118 378 6300 (emergency).
- The Samaritans - 116 123 (available 24/7)
- Berkshire NHS mental health crisis number - 0300 365 9999 (available 24/7)