The University has now launched YuJa, our learning capture platform. Learning Capture allows your lecturer to record a teaching session such as a lecture or seminar. More than 170 teaching rooms are now Learning Capture-ready. Your lecturer may record your session, depending on the content, and share this and other recordings via YuJa. These recordings can help you to revisit content and check over any difficult areas at your own pace.
How will Learning Capture help me?
Your lecturer may choose to record some of your teaching sessions. They will notify you before a recording is started. Please speak to your lecturer if you have any questions or concerns and to find out if Learning Capture is available on your course.
If your session is recorded, it will be available for you to watch on Blackboard. Help on accessing your recordings, including where you will commonly find them and what they will look like, can be found on our YuJa Help Page for Students.
These recordings are designed to be supplementary material and not to replace attending lectures.
Top tips for using Learning Capture:
- Re-watch the bits you found challenging or which need further clarification - You don’t need to watch the entire recording. You might find it helpful to write the time in the margin of your session notes so you can easily come back to that point in the recording. You can also save time by using YuJa’s search tool to find a particular word in the recording.
- Use as a regular part of your study by revisiting key content soon after the lecture. Don’t be tempted to ‘binge watch’ recordings at revision time.
- Attend lectures. Recordings are not a replacement for in-person classes. Research shows that students who attend lectures as well as reviewing parts of the recordings, get better grades. Attendance at live classes has social benefits and helps you feel part of a wider learning community.
- Pause the recording to look up additional resources – try not to only rely on the content in the lecture.
- Add to your notes - Use the recordings to add detail to your notes, but don't forget to summarise and paraphrase in your own words.
- Getting the most out of session recordings is available on Study Advice’s Classroom Capture Libguide.
- Guidance on getting started with YuJa, see Technology Enhanced Learning’s (TEL) YuJa Support for Students.
- Tips for getting the most out of your recordings, we recommend the Nordmann et al short slide-deck, Learning Capture: Practical recommendations for students and lecturers
- Further advice on Learning Capture and your responsibilities as a student when using videos in our student policy - coming soon.
If you have any technical questions or need support, please use the IT Self Service Portal.
Please ensure third party cookies are enabled on your browser for YuJa. You can find guidance for this on our Resolving Issues with Cookies guide.
Learning Capture privacy notice - also displayed outside the entrance of rooms with Learning Capture equipment installed.