STUDENTS: You must let us know if you test positive for COVID-19. Please Fill in this form and we’ll contact you as soon as possible.
There are two main types of testing for COVID-19 being used in the UK:
- Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) tests: Used by the NHS to test people with COVID-19 symptoms. If you do not have symptoms and need to take a test for international travel, you can also book a PCR test privately through a pharmacy.
- Lateral Flow Tests (LFT): Also known as ‘rapid’, tests, LFTs are for testing those who do not have symptoms.
If you do not have symptoms of COVID-19, we are offering free LFT tests on campus. Twice weekly testing is also available to everyone living in England and you can find out more on the government website.
The main symptoms of coronavirus are:
- a high temperature – this means you feel hot to touch on your chest or back (you do not need to measure your temperature);
- a new, continuous cough – this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours (if you usually have a cough, it may be worse than usual);
- a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste – this means you've noticed you cannot smell or taste anything, or things smell or taste different to normal.
Most people with coronavirus have at least one of these symptoms. For further information please visit the NHS website.
Further research has shown that there are several less-common, ‘early symptoms’ of COVID-19. PHE have advised that these may include loss of appetite; diarrhoea; nausea/vomiting; extreme tiredness; headaches; joint pain; muscle ache; runny nose; sore throat; sneezing; altered consciousness; seizures.
You do not need to self-isolate or get a PCR test if you experience these without any of the main three COVID-19 symptoms. However, given the prevalence of the virus, it is important to pay particular attention if you experience these ‘early symptoms’. Whilst in normal circumstances they may not be a cause for concern, we must all be mindful of the current increased risks that COVID-19 presents.
If you feel unwell with any of the ‘early symptoms’, we recommend that you:
- monitor the symptoms closely, limit contact with others by staying at home as much as possible, and pay extra attention to cleaning any shared areas after use; and
- book a Lateral Flow Test at the University SportsPark if you are currently living on or close to campus.
Remember that you should self-isolate and get a PCR test, if you develop any of the main symptoms - even mildly.
If you do have any questions please contact our COVID-19 Support & Behaviour Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.