So, if you are feeling homesick or just want to try something new, these friendly groups are a great way for you to meet people, get involved and feel part of a community.
There are clubs and societies covering all sorts of interests including:
- Academic and career – learn more about your subject or get ahead with your future career outside of the classroom.
- Arts and dance – indulge your creative side with a range of societies covering art, music, dance and drama.
- Campaigns and causes – show your support for the issues that mean most to you. Campaign for the increased visibility of the LGBT+ community or help promote the use of Fairtrade products on campus.
- Culture and faith – meet people from your country, practice and discuss your beliefs or learn more about other cultures. A great place for International students to find support.
- Hobbies and interests – whether you want to continue your hobbies or pick up something new, there's loads of opportunities on offer, from Anime to Wildlife conservation.
- JCR - Joining your Halls JCR is a fantastic way to get to know the people you're living with and form lifelong friendships.
- Political – get together, campaign and debate the issues that matter to you.
- Sports and leisure – whatever your ability you'll find plenty of ways to keep fit and have fun with over 50 sports teams and societies.
- Volunteering - The University helps support a number of charities, causes and local organisations. Join any of our volunteering societies to give back to those in need.
Media - RUSU has three media outlets based in the Stephen Lawrence Student Media Centre:
- Spark - the on-campus newspaper of the University of Reading. It is run by students, for students and features campus news, sports, entertainment and lifestyle.
- Junction11 - the University's student radio station, serves the student community of Reading - whether it's waking you up in the morning, entertaining you in the afternoon, or getting you ready for a great night out! Junction11 also provides its listeners with on campus news and important event updates.
- RU:ON TV - creates short films of on-campus news, campus events, sports, and even has a weather show. From filming interviews, live music, game shows and much more