2020 Gingerbread competition
Our annual gingerbread competition of the year is brought to you by Global Buddies & Chill & Chat.
Gingerbread house decorating began in Germany around 1800, becoming more popular after the publishing of the fairy tale story Hansel and Gretel. As the years went by, it became a tradition in many countries to build and decorate a gingerbread house during the Christmas period as festive fun. Some countries host national gingerbread competitions, too, as well as conventions! We cannot compete on that level, but we listened to your feedback from last year’s event on how to improve.
This year, our gingerbread competition comes with a twist. For those in self-catered or private accommodation, you will be baking your own gingerbread house (kit will be provided). For those in catered accommodation, you will be given a premade kit. From the day you pick up your gingerbread house kit from us, you can start your amazing creation, or wait for our virtual live event on the 10th December where we will make our gingerbread house and answer any questions you may have. You can make it at the same time as us. Once you have completed your fabulous creation, you will need to submit a photo or video of it with your team name. The deadline to submit a photo will be Wednesday 16th December and winners will be announced at our next live event on Friday 18th December. There will be grand prizes for the winners, and a prize for the best effort. You can enter the competition as an individual or as a team of up to 6 people.
Students with families can take part as well. This will be judged separately and there will be a prize too.
Staff can also take part in the festive, gingerbread fun. Staff will be judged separately as well and there will be a prize too.
You can make your gingerbread house as fabulous as you like with your own twist or cultural elements. Every year we have amazing designs, from traditional gingerbread houses, to campus buildings, mini villages, historical scenes, cultural elements, and great monuments. We can’t wait to see what you come up with this year!
How does it work?
- Sign up as an individual, team up to 6, or family
- You will receive an email with information on how to arrange gingerbread kit collection
- Once you have collected your kit, create something fabulous immediately or take your time or join us at the live session on the 10th December
- Once you finish your fabulous creation take photo/ video to submit to enter the competition by 16th December. To enter, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- You will be invited to join us live at the winner announcement event on the 18th December
- Prize collection (if you win)