Advice for students self-isolating (in ‘quarantine’) after arriving from overseas
While you are self-isolating, you will be able to use the kitchen and shared bathrooms (if applicable) in your flat, but please be mindful of social distancing and spend as much time in your room as you can. The other people you live with do not need to self-isolate.
For the full period, you must stay at home and not visit campus or elsewhere. The day you arrive in the UK is considered ‘Day 0’, so the first day of the period starts from your first full day in the UK.
Planning for travel to the UK from overseas
Please take your time to understand what you need to do, as there can be significant potential penalties for not providing correct information or failing to quarantine.
Carefully read the government guidance on travel to the UK from overseas, as the steps you need to take will vary depending on a number of factors.
Traffic light system for arrivals to the UK (updated 19 July 2021)
|Passenger location form||Required||Required||Required|
|Pre-departure test at destination||Required||Required||Required|
|Hotel quarantine||x||x||10 days|
|Test to release||N/A||On day 5||x|
On or before day 2 after entering UK
|On or before day 2 after entering UK||On or before day 2 after entering UK|
|Further PCR testing||x||Day 8||Day 8|
If you are unsure or have any questions about travelling to the UK, please contact the International Student Advisory Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please note that you must not use Lateral Flow Test facilities during your 10 days of self-isolation (quarantine) when you arrive in the UK.
Tell us you need to quarantine on arrival
If you are arriving in the UK from another country, you may need to quarantine in your student accommodation for a period under the UK Government COVID-19 regulations. While you are quarantining, you will not be able to complete the in-person enrolment stage and therefore you will not be able to access your University IT account or other services, including online Welcome Talks and teaching. If your quarantine period includes September 19 or any later dates it is essential that you tell us you are/will be quarantining so that we can complete your enrolment process on your behalf. To tell us you are/will be quarantining, log in to your RISIS portal after you have completed your online enrolment stage and follow the links.
Quarantine Support Package 2021/22
With government rules in England easing, we expect you to join us on campus from the start of the autumn term. After the restrictions of the past months, being on campus will allow you to engage with your learning in person and to be part of our vibrant, active community.
However, we understand COVID-19 is still causing disruption and there may be situations that prevent students from being able to come to campus at the start of the academic year. We have provided information about the specific circumstances in which you may be able to request to study ‘at a distance’ temporarily, and the implications this may have on visas.
We also understand the significant disruption that the coronavirus pandemic has caused, particularly to international travel.
To help our international students with some of the additional costs that they may face in traveling to Reading to study, we have put in place the University of Reading Quarantine Support Package 2021/22.
This support is offered to full-time students resident outside the UK and Republic of Ireland who are travelling to Reading for the 2021/22 academic year, whether as new or returning students. It is based on the UK Government’s current travel guidance and, specifically, the requirements in relation to quarantine and mandatory COVID-19 testing.
The package consists of two separate sources of financial assistance for eligible students:
QUARANTINE HOTEL COSTS
- If you are travelling from, or via, a country or territory on the UK Government’s red list, you are currently required to undertake 10 full days of ‘managed quarantine’ in hotel accommodation on immediate arrival in the UK.
- The cost of managed quarantine is £1,750. This includes COVID-19 tests.
- The University of Reading will reimburse the £1,750 cost for eligible students, applying the refund as a credit against your tuition fees for the academic year 2021/22.
- We are unable to pay towards the cost of hotel quarantine for spouses, parents/guardians or dependents.
TRAVEL COVID-19 TESTS
- If you are travelling from, or via, a country or territory on the UK Government's green or amber list, you are currently required to go through a process of COVID-19 testing: one test for green list arrivals and 2 for amber list arrivals (with a voluntary third test, if you participate in the Test to Release scheme).
- These tests are arranged through private providers and the cost varies. The University of Reading will contribute to the cost of up to three COVID-19 tests undertaken upon arrival in the UK up to a limit of £70 per test (£210 in total), applying the refund as a credit against your tuition fees for the academic year 2021/22.
- We are unable to pay towards the cost of any mandatory COVID-19 tests taken in your home country before departure to the UK.
- Please read the full terms and conditions, including details of the claims process. Please ensure you keep copies of receipts – these will be required to make a claim.