Making a complaint
If you experience any issues whilst in hall, our 24/7 Halls Hotline is your first point of call. You can contact them 24 hours a day on 0800 029 1984, or you can get in touch via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. All tickets are logged and you will receive a reference number for your call.
How to complain
If you have previously contacted us about an issue or concern and are dissatisfied with how we have helped you with this, then we need you to tell us about it through the complaints procedure, which starts at a Stage 0 complaint.
To register a complaint, you should email the Halls Hotline via email@example.com. A complaint will only be accepted within one month of the relevant matter occurring.
What do I need to do?
- Be specific about the problem
- Describe the problem succinctly
- Provide supporting documentary evidence where available and appropriate
- State the outcome requested – be clear and realistic
You may request to meet the accommodation staff in person to discuss your issue or concern.
A complaint will usually result in one or more of the following outcomes:
- A solution to the issue or concern
- An explanation where the desired outcome cannot be achieved
- An apology, where appropriate
- UPP or the University may deem that it is not appropriate to consider the issue or concern as a Stage 0 complaint, and will direct the student to submit a formal Stage 1 complaint within five working days.
Where it is reasonable to do so, or at the request of the student, we will issue a written outcome of this stage of the procedures within five working days.
I’m not happy with this outcome, what can I do now?
If you are dissatisfied with the Stage 0 outcome and wish to pursue a formal complaint, or if we have deemed it inappropriate to consider the issue informally, you should submit a formal complaint by submitting a Stage 1 complaint form within five working days after receiving the Stage 0 outcome.
Customer Care Charter
UPP are the leading UK provider of on campus student accommodation and are working in partnership with the University of Reading to deliver the highest standards of service to our customers. We aim to create a safe and secure environment where students can quickly feel at home.
Our commitment to you
We aim to provide you with the highest possible level of service and professionalism. This charter sets out the standards you can expect from our staff. If you feel we have failed to meet any of these standards, please tell us. We are continually looking at ways to improve our service and we welcome your views on how we can achieve this. There are food and feedback sessions, run by the home at halls team. You can also send feedback via the home at halls app or you can email us with your ideas at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our staff will:
- ensure your health and safety if of upmost importance
- be responsible looking after our customers by always doing our job to the best of our ability
- be prompt, polite and helpful
- provide an inclusive service to all residents
- be respectful, treat you with fairness and be responsive to your individual needs
- be trained to give you advice and assistance, and be able to escalate your queries to the most appropriate department
- respect your confidentiality and privacy at all times
- wear name badges to identify ourselves and show identification when we visit your accommodation
- keep our promises and deliver
In answering telephone calls, we will:
- answer your call promptly
- listen and respond to the needs of our customers
- ensure there is someone available to answer your call or take messages in office hours, and 24 hours a day on the Halls Hotline on 0800 029 1984
- be courteous and professional
In responding to written correspondence, we will:
- acknowledge your correspondence in writing within two working days
- respond to your correspondence within 10 working days of receipt
- reply in a clear and concise manner, with use of technical terms kept to a minimum
In dealing with any complaints we will:
- make available on request of our Complaints procedure
- carry out a full and fair investigation
- reply within 10 working days where possible; if the complexity of your complaint requires a more in depth and timely investigation, we will let you know