Professor Cindy Becker
- +44 (0) 118 378 7002
Areas of Interest
Research groups / Centres
I am the Director of Teaching and Learning for the School of Literature and Languages and I also teach in the Department of English Literature.
I am a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and have been awarded a University of Reading Teaching Fellowship.
I am an enthusiastic member of several University Communities of Practice: Placement Tutors, University Teaching Fellows, Technology Enhanced Learning, and Student Engagement Champions.
I have been a member of Senate and have sat on university steering committees and working parties; I am also a member of the Management Committee for the School of Literature and Languages and chair the School Board for Teaching and Learning.
I am convenor of Packaging Literature and Shakespeare on Film.
For a complete list of my teaching, please see Lucinda Becker Teaching and Convening
Recent publications include:
- Seven Steps to a Successful Career.
- Writing Successful Reports and Dissertations
- 14 Days to Exam Success
- Teaching in Higher Education
For a complete list of my publications, please see Lucinda Becker Further Publications
Awards and Fellowships:
- 2017: RUSU Outstanding Contribution to Teaching and Learning Award nominee
- 2017: University nominee for Higher Education Academy National Teaching Fellowship
- 2016: Collaborative Award for Outstanding Contribution to Teaching and Learning, University of Reading
- 2015: University nominee for Higher Education Academy National Teaching Fellowship
- 2013: Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- 2013: THE Teaching Innovator of the Year award university nominee
- 2010-2015: RUSU Outstanding Contribution to Teaching and Learning award nominee on three occasions
- 2009: Reading University Teaching Fellowship
- 2009: Centre for Career Management Skills Fellowship
- 2007: Individual award for Outstanding Contribution to Teaching and Learning Award, University of Reading
- 2007: Centre for Career Management Skills Fellowship
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- Member of The International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching & Learning.
- Member of the Society for Education and Training.
- Member of the Society for Research into Higher Education.
Recent external conference papers and workshops:
2019 JISC CAN Annual Conference, paper: 'The Evolving Landscape of Staff-Student Partnership'
2018 JISC CAN Annual Conference, paper: 'Why, and how, I let my students take control'
2017 Higher Education Academy Annual Conference, paper: 'The pedagogical benefits of preparing our students for the professional world'
2017 JISC Change Agents Network Annual conference, Exeter, paper: 'How, and why, I let my students take control'.
2017 TSEP (Student Engagement Partnership) conference, London, workshop: 'Student engagement in curriculum design'.
2016 RAISE (Researching, Advancing and Inspiring Student Engagement) conference in Loughborough, paper: 'Engaging students in assessment criteria and learning outcomes'.
2016 UKAT (United Kingdom Advising and Tutoring) conference, Southampton, paper: 'The strategic and relational differences between a personal tutor and placement mentoring'.