English Language and Applied Linguistics
14th In the uk for linguistics
We are delighted to announce that Linguistics at the University of Reading has been ranked as 14th in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2017. Showing that Linguistics is moving from strength to strength.
Rodney Jones, Head of the Department of English Language and Applied Linguistics, commented that: 'This ranking reflects the exciting and cutting edge work students and staff at Reading are doing'.
We would like to thank our staff and students for helping us to be placed highly.
50 Years of Excellence in Linguistics and Language Studies
The University of Reading was among the first universities in the UK to offer programmes in Linguistics, Applied Linguistics and English Language Teaching. Over the past 50 years, the university has been home to many of the world's most distinguished scholars in language studies, and has produced graduates whose work has come to define the field.
Studying english language and applied linguistics at reading
The latest news from our blogs
English Language and Applied Linguistics blog
- Studying English language in the age of “Post-truth”
- How I shaped my dissertation around my interest in counter-terrorism
- Halloween: The Meaning Behind the Word
- My Welcome Week Experience
- Where to go for help and advice at University
A World of Englishes
- 100 years of the English Pronouncing Dictionary
- You say "lee-doh", I say "lye-doh" ...
- The future of those tricky "th" sounds
- International Talk Like A Pirate Day: musings on the pirate accent
- English: no longer an official EU language?
Teachers of English Language
Our department runs a range of exciting outreach schemes for students and teachers. If you would like to receive details of these events please email email@example.com