Dr Michael Daller
- +44 (0) 118 378 7260
Teaching: Research Methods at M-level and PhD-level.
Vocabulary knowledge and assessment (M-level).
Currently supervises 5 PhD students.
Convenor of the Vocabulary Special Interest Group (SIG) of the British Association for Applied Linguists (2013 - present). http://www.baal.org.uk/sig_vocab.html
Areas of Interest
My main areas of interest are Bilingualism, Language Testing, Vocabulary and the prediction of study success of international students. I am currently involved in two projects at Flinders University/ Australia, where we develop language tests that can be used to predict the study success of international trainees at a Nursing School in Australia. This is linked to a project that I am carrying out with Yixin Wang on the prediction of study success of Chinese student at universities in the UK. Together with Zehra Ongun I am carrying out a project on the development of bilingual children in the UK and the relation of their vocabulary sizes in both languages and their general cognitive abilities.
Research groups / Centres
Member of the Centre for Literacy and Multilingualism at the University of Reading.
Member of the Languages and Linguistics Research Division.
- Daller, M. and Treffers-Daller, J. (2020) Turkish heritage speakers in Germany: vocabulary knowledge in German and Turkish. In: Studies in Turkish as a Heritage Language. John Benjamins, Amsterdam/Philadelphia. (In Press)
- Daller, M. (2019) The persistence of L1 patterns in SLA: incidental learning and the boundary crossing constraint. Vigo International Journal of Applied Linguistics, 16. pp. 81-106. ISSN 1697-0381 doi: https://doi.org/10.35869/vial.v0i16.94
- Daller, M. (2019) Predicting international students' clinical and academic grades using two language tests (IELTS and C-test): a correlational research study. Nurse Education Today, 72. pp. 6-11. ISSN 0260-6917 doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2018.10.007
- Zhang, J. and Daller, M. (2018) Lexical richness of Chinese candidates in the graded oral English examinations. Applied Linguistics Review. ISSN 1868-6311 doi: https://doi.org/10.1515/appliedrev-2018-004 (In Press)
- Daller, M. and Ongun, Z. (2018) The threshold hypothesis revisited: bilingual lexical knowledge and non-verbal IQ development. International Journal of Bilingualism, 22 (6). pp. 675-694. ISSN 1756-6878 doi: https://doi.org/10.1177/1367006917690835
- Daller, M. and Wang, Y. (2017) Predicting study success of international students. Applied Linguistics Review, 8 (4). pp. 355-374. ISSN 1868-6311 doi: https://doi.org/10.1515/applirev-2016-2013
- Treffers-Daller, J., Daller, M., Furman, R. and Rothman, J. (2016) Ultimate attainment in the use of lexical collocations among heritage speakers of Turkish in Germany and Turkish-German returnees. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition, 19 (3). pp. 504-519. ISSN 1469-1841 doi: https://doi.org/10.1017/S1366728915000139
Please see also my latest publications on Researchgate: