Professor Jane Setter
- +44 (0) 118 378 6089
Professor of Phonetics
School Director of Academic Tutoring; School TEF Lead
Departmental Examinations Officer
Member of Senate
Jane teaches the following modules:
- LSMDPH: Pedagogic Phonetics and Phonology (Distance)
- LSMFLS: Foundations of Language Study - English Phonology content
- LS2ANS: Analysing Speech
- LS2EP: English Phonology
- LS3EIW/LSMEW: English in the World
- LS1SG: Sounds, Grammar and Meaning - Phonetics content
Jane currently supervises 5 PhD students.
A National Teaching Fellow and Senior Fellow of the UK Higher Education Academy (now Advance HE), Jane is reviews editor of the Journal of the International Phonetic Association, on the editorial board of the Journal of Second Language Pronunciation, and on the advisory panel of Babel: The Language Magazine. As of August 2019, she takes up membership of the Council of the International Phonetic Association (IPA). She is a regular contributor to the University College London Summer Course in English Phonetics; she has taught on the IPA Certificate Strand of this course, and has acted as an examiner for the IPA Certificate of Proficiency in the Phonetics of English.
Jane is School Director of Academic Tutoring and Departmental Examinations Officer. Her outreach activities include visiting schools to give talks to students, and organising and teaching on our INSET course for teachers of A level English Language. She has also run refresher courses in Grammar and Phonetics for Speech and Language Therapists with colleagues in the School of Psychology and Clinical Language Sciences.
Areas of Interest
Jane is probably best known as co-editor of the eighteenth edition of the Cambridge English Pronouncing Dictionary (CUP, 2011). Her main research interests are English phonetics and phonology, English pronunciation and intelligibility (including in World and learner Englishes), phonology in atypical speech populations (specifically Williams syndrome), and phonetics and phonology in Hong Kong English; her particular interest is in prosodic aspects of speech such as rhythm and intonation. She has held UK and international research grants and published widely, and is a popular keynote speaker, both at home and abroad.
Jane also works on aspects of teaching and learning in Higher Education, both in phonetics/phonology and in other aspects of quality assurance and quality enhancement, including working with students as partners in the curriculum and on aspects of student employability. She acts as external examiner and on periodic review panels for universities in the UK and internationally and collaborates with colleagues world-wide on aspects of teaching and learning.
Research groups / Centres
Associate Member of Centre for Literacy and Multilingualism (CeLM)
- Setter, J. (2018) Future challenges of the impact agenda. In: McIntyre, D. and Price, H. (eds.) Applying Linguistics: Language and the impact agenda. Routledge, London, pp. 179-184. ISBN 9781138237513
- Stojanovik, V., Zimmerer, V., Setter, J., Hudson, K., Poyraz-Bilgin, I. and Saddy, D. (2018) Artificial grammar learning in Williams syndrome and in typical development: the role of rules, familiarity and prosodic cues. Applied Psycholinguistics, 39 (2). pp. 327-353. ISSN 1469-1817 doi: https://doi.org/10.1017/S0142716417000212
- Becker, L., Collier, J. and Setter, J. (2018) Students as change partners in the School of Literature and Languages at the University of Reading. The Journal of Educational Innovation, Partnership and Change, 4 (1). ISSN 2055-4990 doi: https://doi.org/10.21100/jeipc.v4i1.712
- Puga, K., Fuchs, R., Hudson, T., Setter, J. and Mok, P. (2018) The perception-production link in intonation: evidence from German learners of English. In: Speech Prosody 2018, 18 - 20 June 2018, Poznan, Poland, pp. 685-689. doi: https://doi.org/10.21437/SpeechProsody.2018-139
- Setter, J. (2017) Research-led teaching in phonetics: an exercise in research literacy. In: Phonetics Teaching and Learning Conference, 9-11 August 2017, University College London, pp. 94-98.
- Setter, J. and Sebina, B. (2017) English lexical stress, prominence and rhythm. In: Kang, O., Thomsson, R. I. and Murphy, J. M. (eds.) The Routledge Handbook of Contemporary English Pronunciation. Routledge, Abingdon, UK, pp. 137-153.
- Binasfour, H., Setter, J. and Aslan, E. (2017) Enhancing L2 learners’ perception and production of the Arabic emphatic sounds. In: Phonetics Teaching and Learning Conference, 9-11 August 2017, London.
- Puga, K., Fuchs, R., Setter, J. and Mok, P. (2017) The perception of English intonation patterns by German L2 speakers of English. In: Interspeech 2017, 20-24 Aug 2017, Stockholm, Sweden, pp. 3241-3245. doi: https://doi.org/10.21437/Interspeech.2017-1279
- Stojanovik, V., Setter, J. and Lacroix, A. (2016) Le développement de la prosodie dans le syndrome de Williams et le syndrome de Down chez des enfants de langue anglaise. Bulletin de psychologie, 69 (2). pp. 137-145. ISSN 0007-4403 doi: https://doi.org/10.3917/bupsy.542.0137 (No. 542)
- Mat Nayan, N. and Setter, J. (2016) Malay English intonation: the cooperative rise. English World-Wide, 37 (3). pp. 293-322. ISSN 0172-8865 doi: https://doi.org/10.1075/eww.37.3.03mat
- Setter, J., Mok, P., Low, E. L., Zuo, D. and Ao, R. (2014) Word juncture characteristics in world Englishes: a research report. World Englishes, 33 (2). pp. 278-291. ISSN 1467-971X doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/weng.12085
- Martínez-Castilla, P., Stojanovik, V., Setter, J. and Sotillo, M. (2012) Prosodic abilities in Spanish and English children with Williams syndrome: a cross-linguistic study. Applied Psycholinguistics, 33 (1). pp. 1-22. ISSN 1469-1817 doi: https://doi.org/10.1017/S0142716411000385
- Stojanovik, V. and Setter, J. (2011) Prosody in two genetic disorders: Williams and Down's syndrome. In: Stojanovik, V. and Setter, J. (eds.) Speech Prosody in Atypical Populations: Assessment and Remediation. J&R Press, pp. 25-43. ISBN 9781907826009
- Stojanovik, V. and Setter, J., eds. (2011) Speech prosody in atypical populations: assessment and remediation. J & R Press. ISBN 9781907826009
- Setter, J. E., Stojanovik, V. and Martínez-Castilla, P. (2010) Evaluating the intonation of non-native speakers of English using a computerised test battery. International Journal of Applied Linguistics, 20 (3). pp. 368-385. ISSN 1473-4192 doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1473-4192.2010.00253.x
- Setter, J. E., Wong, C. S. P. and Chan, B. H. S. (2010) Hong Kong English. Dialects of English. Edinburgh University Press, UK. ISBN 9780748635962
- Setter, J. E. (2010) The future of English. [Video]
- Setter, J. (2009) L2 prosody research: rhythm and intonation. In: Čubrović, B. and Paunović, T. (eds.) Ta(l)king English phonetics across frontiers. Cambridge Scholars Publishing, Newcastle, pp. 91-102. ISBN 9781443813037
- Stojanovik, V. and Setter, J. E. (2009) Conditions in which prosodic impairments occur. International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 11 (4). pp. 293-297. ISSN 1754-9515 doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/17549500902943647
- Stojanovik, V. and Setter, J. (2009) Conditions in which prosodic impairments occur. International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 11 (4). pp. 293-297. ISSN 1754-9515 doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/17549500902943647 (Scientific forum: Prosody in speech-language pathology)
- Stojanovik, V. and Setter, J. (2008) Atypical prosody in children with Williams syndrome. In: XI International Congress for the Study of Child Language, Edinburgh, UK.
- Setter, J. (2008) Consonant clusters in Hong Kong English. World Englishes, 27 (3-4). pp. 502-515. ISSN 1467-971X doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-971X.2008.00581.x
- Stojanovik, V., Setter, J. and Martinez-Castilla, P. (2008) Prosodic abilities in English and Spanish children with Williams syndrome: a cross-linguistic study. In: 12th Symposium of the International Clinical Phoneticis and Linguistics Association, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Setter, J., Stojanovik, V. and Martinez-Castilla, P. (2008) Using PEPS-C as a tool to evaluate the intonation of learners of English. In: British Association of Academic Phoneticians Colloquium, Sheffield, UK.
- Setter, J., Stojanovik, V., van Ewijk, L. and Moreland, M. (2007) Affective prosody in children with Williams syndrome. Clinical Linguistics & Phonetics, 21 (9). pp. 659-672. ISSN 0269-9206 doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/02699200701539056
- Stojanovik, V., Setter, J. and van Ewijk, L. (2007) Intonation abilities of children with Williams syndrome: a preliminary investigation. Journal of Speech Language and Hearing Research, 50 (6). pp. 1606-1617. ISSN 1092-4388 doi: https://doi.org/10.1044/1092-4388(2007/108)
- Setter, J. E., Stojanovik, V., Van Ewijk, L. and Moreland, M. L. (2007) Pitch range and vowel duration in the speech of children with Williams syndrome. In: 16th International Congress of Phonetic Sciences, 6-10 August 2007, Germany, pp. 1977-1980.
- Setter, J. (2006) Speech rhythm in world Englishes: the case of Hong Kong. TESOL Quarterly, 40 (4). pp. 763-782. ISSN 1545-7249
- Roach, P., Hartman, J. and Setter, J. (2006) Daniel Jones' English pronouncing dictionary. 17th edition. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, pp622. ISBN 9780521680875
- Setter, J. and Jenkins, J. (2005) State-of-the-art review article. Language Teaching, 38 (1). pp. 1-17. ISSN 1475-3049 doi: https://doi.org/10.1017/S026144480500251X
- Setter, J. (2005) Communicative patterns of intonation in L2 English teaching and learning. In: Dziubalska-Kolaczyk, K. and Przedlacka, J. (eds.) English pronunciation models: a changing scene. 2nd edition. Linguistic Insights (21). Peter Lang, Bern, pp. 367-389. ISBN 9783039116829
- Setter, J. (2005) Listening to other Englishes: British listeners on Singapore speakers. In: Deterding, D., Brown, A. and Low, E.L. (eds.) English in Singapore: phonetic research on a corpus. McGraw Hill Education (Asia), Singapore, pp. 163-172. ISBN 9780071247276
- Setter, J. and Deterding, D. (2003) Extra final consonants in the English of Hong Kong and Singapore. In: Solé, M.J., Recasens, D. and Romero, J. (eds.) Proceedings of the 15th international congress of phonetic sciences. Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, pp. 1875-1878. ISBN 9781876346492
- Setter, J. (2003) A comparison of speech rhythm in British and Hong Kong English. In: Solé, M.J., Recasens, D. and Romero, J. (eds.) Proceedings of the 15th international congress of phonetic sciences. Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, pp. 467-470. ISBN 9781876346492
BA (Hons) Language Studies & English (Leeds); MA Linguistics & English Language Teaching (Leeds); PhD (Reading).