English Language and Applied Linguistics
50 Years of Excellence in Linguistics and Language Studies
The University of Reading was among the first universities in the UK to offer programmes in Linguistics, Applied Linguistics and English Language Teaching. Over the past 50 years, the University has been home to many of the world's most distinguished scholars in language studies, and has produced graduates whose work has come to define the field.
"Every day it is more important for professionals in the modern world to understand how language is used in different contexts, such as education, migration, politics, digital media and health. We are exploring theories of language in the contemporary world and applying this knowledge to the solution of real-world problems at work, at play, in relationships, in the media, in education, in health, in politics."
"We explore the growth of English as an international language, and are at the forefront of current developments in English language teaching and learning."
Studying english language and applied linguistics at reading
English Language and Applied Linguistics blog
- Studying English language in the age of “Post-truth”
- How I shaped my dissertation around my interest in counter-terrorism
- Halloween: The Meaning Behind the Word
- My Welcome Week Experience
- Where to go for help and advice at University
A World of Englishes
- Sumer is icumen in, and the wind is passing ...
- 100 years of the English Pronouncing Dictionary
- You say "lee-doh", I say "lye-doh" ...
- The future of those tricky "th" sounds
- International Talk Like A Pirate Day: musings on the pirate accent
Teachers of English Language
Our department runs a range of exciting outreach schemes for students and teachers. If you would like to receive details of these events please email email@example.com
The School of Literature and Languages
The Department of English Language and Applied Linguistics is part of the School of Literature and Languages.