The interview may involve a number of candidates and will be conducted remotely via Microsoft Teams.
Prior to interview
- Present a lesson idea. Please be prepared to do a brief, informal presentation to the subject leader on a lesson topic that you are particularly interested in and that is appropriate for secondary pupils in Year 7 (11 years old).
The presentation should:
- Be no more than 5 minutes long.
- Not use PowerPoint or other presentation formats (including a whiteboard).
- You may wish to show an object with you as a prop or resource, but this is not required.
- Give an outline of what the Year 7 lesson would contain.
- Include your thoughts on the learning opportunities (in the broadest sense) for the pupils and on any aspects that you anticipate the pupils will find particularly engaging, difficult, or challenging.
The remote interview process
Your interview will start with an introduction by Martin Sutton (the subject leader for PGCE RE).
You will then be given 5 minutes to talk through your lesson presentation with the subject leader, following the advice given above.
You will then be asked a series of formal questions, which will explore your motivations for becoming a teacher, your passion for teaching Religious Education, and look to draw upon your subject knowledge and specialisms. There will also be an opportunity for you to ask questions. This should take approximately 15-20 minutes.
Immediately after the formal interview, an email will be sent to you containing a short written task intended to assess your English fluency and your thoughts on an aspect of RE. This should take approximately 20-30 minutes. The written task can be handwritten or completed electronically.
If you choose to complete the written task electronically, you can return your written task to Martin electronically.
Please feel free to contact Martin should you have any questions.
If your/our network does not behave, please do not panic! We will email you using the addresses given in your application and we will make a contingency plan.