Skip to main content

Becoming a secondary teacher – University of Reading

Show access keys
  • Equipping you to thrive in the workplace

    "... a carefully thought out course of professional studies." Osted inspection report, 2016


    Become an outstanding educational practitioner

Becoming a secondary teacher

Train at the Institute of Education, University of Reading, and have a direct and positive impact on the lives of young people.

As a secondary teacher you have the opportunity to share your passion for your favourite subject. You will inspire, enthuse and motivate future generations and help them to understand the wider world.

At the Institute of Education, we will help you to harness all these qualities. You will develop your teaching skills and curriculum knowledge, and gain the confidence and management skills you need to teach in a secondary environment.

You will benefit from the Institute's supportive community, and incredible resources and facilities. We also have excellent partner arrangements that will give you the chance to apply your skills to real settings, as well as the opportunity to connect with future employers.

Already have a degree?

If you have already completed an undergraduate degree, a PGCE (Postgraduate Certificate in Education) will give you teaching experience and QTS (Qualified Teacher Status).

We offer 17 university-based PGCE courses with QTS as an outcome, each with their own specialism.

Our university-based courses give you a PGCE and QTS, whereas with the school-based training you are able to complete with either one qualification or both.

The school-based route can also be salaried or nonsalaried.

Need to increase your subject knowledge in preparation for a PGCE?

If you have already secured a place for secondary teacher training, and would like to teach a different subject to that of your undergraduate degree, you may need to complete a SKE (Subject Knowledge Enhancement).

Already teaching but need QTS (Qualified Teacher Status)?

If you have relevant experience and are already teaching, you may need to obtain QTS (Qualified Teacher Status). Our Assessment Only route can help you with that.


We use Javascript to improve your experience on, but it looks like yours is turned off. Everything will still work, but it is even more beautiful with Javascript in action. Find out more about why and how to turn it back on here.
We also use cookies to improve your time on the site, for more information please see our cookie policy.

Back to top