Professor Jeanine Treffers-Daller
Member of the Leadership Group and the Steering Committee of the Centre for Literacy and Multilingualism
Member of the Editorial Board of Bilingualism, Language and Cognition, the International Journal of Bilingualism and Benjamin's series Impact: Studies in Language and Society
Vocabulary knowledge and assessment (M-level)
Areas of Interest
Jeanine is interested in a wide range of areas in the field of Multilingualism and Second Language Acquisition. Most recently she has worked on the relationship between cognitive control and different types of code-switching behaviour. She is also interested in measuring language dominance in bilinguals/heritage speakers and has published an edited volume on this topic with Cambridge. Furthermore, she has published on motion event construal, formulaic language, vocabulary learning and teaching, lexical richness, and automated assessment of vocabulary in bilinguals and second language learners. She has also worked on language, literacy and mathematics development among learners with English as an Additional Language (EAL) in the UK and among multilingual children in India.
Current and Recent Research Projects:
- Multilingualism and Multiliteracy: Raising learning outcomes in challenging contexts in primary schools across India. PI: Ianthi Tsimpli (Cambridge). Co-Is: Theo Marinis (Konstanz), Jeanine Treffers-Daller, Suvarna Alladi (Nizams Institute of Medical Sciences, Hyderabad), Lina Mukhopadyay (EFL-U, Delhi), Minati Panda (Jawarhal Nehru University, Delhi), Denes Szucs (Cambridge). Economics and Social Research Council/Department for International Development (£650k).
- Development of a vocabulary test (crosslinguistic lexical tasks) for five-year-old Malaysian children (Principal Investigator; Co-operation mit dr Ewa Haman, Warsaw University; Dr Yap Ngee Thai, University Putra Malaysia; Dr Rogayah Razak, University Kebangsaan Malaysien). Sponsored by the Centre for Literacy and Multilingualism, University of Reading)
- Development of a bilingual vocabulary test for English-Malay bilingual adults (Principal Investigator; Co-operation mit Dr Yap Ngee Thai, University Putra Malaysia and Shanthi Nadarajan (University Sarawak, Malaysia). Sponsored by the Centre for Literacy and Multilingualism, University of Reading)
Research groups / Centres
- Languages and Linguistics Research Division
- Centre for Literacy and Multilingualism
- Multimind: an international, multidisciplinary and multisectorial training network on multilingualism
- Treffers-Daller, J., Hofweber, J., Ongun, Z. and Korenar, M. (2020) Explaining individual differences in executive functions performance in multilinguals: the impact of code-switching and alternating between multicultural identity styles. Frontiers in Psychology. ISSN 1664-1078 (In Press)
- Brehmer, B., Treffers-Daller, J. and Berndt, D., eds. (2020) Lost in transmission: the role of attrition and input in heritage language development. Benjamins, Amsterdam. ISBN 9789027205391 doi: https://doi.org/10.1075/sibil.59
- Brehmer, B. and Treffers-Daller, J. (2020) Two sides of one coin? The relevance of first language attrition for the acquisition of heritage languages. In: Brehmer, B. and Treffers-Daller, J. (eds.) Lost in Transmission: The role of attrition and input in heritage language development. Studies in Bilingualism, 59. John Benjamins, pp. 2-13. ISBN 9789027205391 doi: https://doi.org/10.1075/sibil.59.int
- Treffers-Daller, J. and Huang, J. (2020) Measuring reading and vocabulary with the Test for English Majors Band 4: a concurrent validity study. In: Clenton, J. and Booth, P. (eds.) Vocabulary and the four skills- current issues future concerns. Taylor & Francis, Abingdon. (In Press)
- Hofweber, J., Marinis, T. and Treffers-Daller, J. (2020) How different code-switching types modulate bilinguals’ executive functions - a dual control mode perspective. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition. ISSN 1469-1841 doi: https://doi.org/10.1017/S1366728919000804
- Trakulphadetkrai, N. V., Courtney, L., Clenton, J., Treffers-Daller, J. and Tsakalaki, A. (2020) The contribution of general language ability, reading comprehension and working memory to mathematics achievement among children with English as additional language (EAL): an exploratory study. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism, 23 (4). pp. 463-487. ISSN 1367-0050 doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/13670050.2017.1373742
- Łuniewska, M., Wodniecka, Z., Miller, C. A., Smolík, F., Butcher, M., Chondrogianni, V., Hreich, E. K., Messarra, C., A. Razak, R., Treffers-Daller, J., Yap, N. T., Abboud, L., Talebi, A., Gureghian, M., Tuller, L. and Haman, E. (2019) Age of acquisition of 299 words in seven languages: American English, Czech, Gaelic, Lebanese Arabic, Malay, Persian and Western Armenian. PLoS ONE, 14 (8). e0220611. ISSN 1932-6203 doi: https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0220611
- Treffers-Daller, J. (2019) What defines language dominance in bilinguals? Annual Reviews of Linguistics, 5. pp. 375-393. ISSN 011817-045554 doi: https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-linguistics-011817-045554
- Hofweber, J., Marinis, T. and Treffers-Daller, J. (2019) Effects of dense code-switching on executive control. In: Sekerina, I. A., Spradlin, L. and Valian, V. (eds.) Bilingualism, Executive Function, and Beyond: Questions and insights. Studies in Bilingualism (57). John Benjamins, pp. 161-180. ISBN 9789027262745 doi: https://doi.org/10.1075/sibil.57.11hof
- Tsimpli, I., Mukhopadhyay, L., Treffers-Daller, J., Alladi, S., Marinis, T., Panda, M., Balasubramanian, A. and Sinha, P. (2019) Multilingualism and multiliteracy in primary education in India: a discussion of some methodological challenges of an interdisciplinary research project. Research in Comparative & International Education, 14 (1). pp. 54-76. ISSN 17454999 doi: https://doi.org/10.1177/1745499919828908
- Treffers-Daller, J., Alkhudiry, R. and Laws, J. (2019) Using the YARC Secondary with adult Arabic L1 learners of English: an exploration of L2 learners’ reading comprehension and their ability to learn new words. Language Studies Working Papers, 10. pp. 3-16. ISSN 2040-3461
- Treffers-Daller, J., Parslow, P. and Williams, S. (2018) Back to basics: how measures of lexical diversity can help discriminate between CEFR levels. Applied Linguistics, 39 (3). pp. 302-327. ISSN 1477-450X doi: https://doi.org/10.1093/applin/amw009
- Hofweber, J., Marinis, T. and Treffers-Daller, J. (2018) Predicting executive functions in bilinguals using ecologically valid measures of code-switching behavior. In: Miller, D., Bayram, F., Rothman, J. and Serratrice, L. (eds.) Bilingual Cognition and Language. The State of the Science Across its Subfields. Studies in Bilingualism (54). John Benjamins, Amsterdam, pp. 181-205. ISBN 9789027264541 doi: https://doi.org/10.1075/sibil.54
- Treffers-Daller, J. (2018) The measurement of bilingual abilities: central challenges. In: De Houwer, A. and Ortega, L. (eds.) The Cambridge Handbook of Bilingualism. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, pp. 289-306. ISBN 9781316831922 doi: https://doi.org/10.1017/9781316831922.016
- Wang, Y. and Treffers-Daller, J. (2017) Explaining listening comprehension among L2 learners of English: the contribution of general language proficiency, vocabulary knowledge and metacognitive awareness. System, 65. pp. 139-150. ISSN 0346-251X doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.system.2016.12.013
- Yap, N. T., Razak, R. A., Haman, E., Łuniewska, M. and Treffers-Daller, J. (2017) Construction of the Malay Cross-linguistic Lexical Task: a preliminary report. Language Studies Working Papers, 8. pp. 47-61. ISSN 2040-3461
- Hofweber, J., Marinis, T. and Treffers-Daller, J. (2016) Effects of dense code-switching on executive control. Linguistic Approaches to Bilingualism, 6 (5). pp. 648-668. ISSN 1879-9272 doi: https://doi.org/10.1075/lab.15052.hof
- Treffers-Daller, J., Daller, M., Furman, R. and Rothman, J. (2016) Ultimate attainment in the use of lexical collocations among heritage speakers of Turkish in Germany and Turkish-German returnees. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition, 19 (3). pp. 504-519. ISSN 1469-1841 doi: https://doi.org/10.1017/S1366728915000139
- Treffers-Daller, J. and Xu, Z. (2016) Can classroom learners use statistical learning? A new perspective on motion event construal in a second language. In: Alonso Alonso, R. (ed.) Crosslinguistic Influence in Second Language Acquisition. Second Language Acquisition. Multilingual Matters, Bristol, pp. 121-146. ISBN 9781783094813
- Tang, C. and Treffers-Daller, J. (2016) Assessing incidental vocabulary learning by Chinese EFL learners: a test of the Involvement Load Hypothesis. In: Yu, G. and Jin, Y. (eds.) Assessing Chinese learners of English: language constructs, consequences and conundrums. Palgrave, London, pp. 121-149. ISBN 9781137449771 doi: https://doi.org/10.1057/9781137449788
- Silva-Corvalan, C. and Treffers-Daller, J., eds. (2016) Language dominance in bilinguals: issues of measurement and operationalization. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. ISBN 9781107044494
- Treffers-Daller, J. and Korybski, T. (2015) Using lexical diversity measures to operationalise language dominance in bilinguals. In: Silva-Corvalan, C. and Treffers-Daller, J. (eds.) Language dominance in bilinguals: issues of measurement and operationalization. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, pp. 106-123. ISBN 9781107044494
- Treffers-Daller, J. (2015) The construct of language dominance, its operationalization and measurement. In: Silva-Corvalan, C. and Treffers-Daller, J. (eds.) Language Dominance in Bilinguals: Issues of Measurement and Operationalization. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, pp. 235-265. ISBN 9781107044494
- Treffers-Daller, J. and Tidball, F. (2015) Can L2 learners learn new ways to conceptualise events? Evidence from motion event construal among English-speaking learners of French. In: Guijarro-Fuentes, P., Schmitz, K. and Müller, N. (eds.) The acquisition of French in multi-lingual contexts. Multilingual Matters, Bristol, pp. 145-184. ISBN 9781783094523
- Treffers-Daller, J. and Calude, A. (2015) The role of statistical learning in the acquisition of motion event construal in a second language. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism, 18 (5). pp. 602-623. ISSN 1367-0050 doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/13670050.2015.1027146
- Daller, M. H. and Treffers-Daller, J. (2014) Moving between languages: Turkish returnees from Germany. In: Menzel, B. and Engel, C. (eds.) Rückkehr in die Fremde? Ethnische Remigration russlanddeutscher Spätaussiedler. Ost-West-Express. Kultur und Übersetzung (21). Frank & Timme, Berlin, pp. 185-212. ISBN 9873865964663
- Rothman, J. and Treffers-Daller, J. (2014) A prolegomenon to the construct of the native speaker: heritage speaker bilinguals are natives too! Applied Linguistics, 35 (1). pp. 93-98. ISSN 1477-450X doi: https://doi.org/10.1093/applin/amt049
- Treffers-Daller, J. (2013) Measuring lexical diversity among L2 learners of French: an exploration of the validity of D, MTLD and HD-D as measures of language ability. In: Jarvis, S. and Daller, M. (eds.) Vocabulary knowledge: human ratings and automated measures. Benjamins, Amsterdam, pp. 79-104. ISBN 9789027241887
- Treffers-Daller, J. and Milton, J. (2013) Vocabulary size revisited: the link between vocabulary size and academic achievement. Applied Linguistics Review, 4 (1). pp. 151-172. ISSN 1868-6311 doi: https://doi.org/10.1515/applirev-2013-0007
- Treffers-Daller, J. (2012) Thinking for speaking and linguistic relativity among bilinguals: towards a new research agenda. Language, Interaction and Acquisition, 3 (2). pp. 288-300. ISSN 1879-7873 doi: https://doi.org/10.1075/lia.3.2.06tre
- Treffers-Daller, J. and Sakel, J., eds. (2012) New perspectives on transfer among bilinguals and L2 users. International Journal of Bilingualism, 16 (1). SAGE, London, pp174.
- Treffers-Daller, J. (2012) Grammatical collocations and verb-particle constructions in Brussels French: a corpus-linguistic approach to transfer. International Journal of Bilingualism, 16 (1). pp. 53-82. ISSN 1367-0069 doi: https://doi.org/10.1177/1367006911403213
- Larrañaga, P., Treffers-Daller, J., Tidball, F. and Gil Ortega, M.-c. (2012) L1 transfer in the acquisition of manner and path in Spanish by native speakers of English. International Journal of Bilingualism, 16 (1). pp. 117-138. ISSN 1756-6878 doi: https://doi.org/10.1177/1367006911405577
- Treffers-Daller, J. (2011) Chercher pour or chercher après: arguing the case for contact-induced linguistic innovation in different varieties of French. In: Martineau, F. and Nadasdi, T. (eds.) Le francais en contact. Hommages a Raymond Mougeon. Universite de Laval, Canada, pp. 375-392. ISBN 9782763793177
- Treffers-Daller, J. (2011) Operationalising and measuring language dominance. International Journal of Bilingualism, 15 (2). pp. 147-163. ISSN 1756-6878 doi: https://doi.org/10.1177/1367006910381186
- Daller, M. H., Treffers-Daller, J. and Furman, R. (2011) Transfer of conceptualisation patterns in bilinguals: the construal of motion events in Turkish and German. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition, 14 (1). pp. 95-119. ISSN 1469-1841 doi: https://doi.org/10.1017/S1366728910000106
- Treffers-Daller, J. (2010) Borrowing. In: Fried, M., Östman, J.-O. and Verschueren, J. (eds.) Variation and change: pragmatic perspectives. Handbook of pragmatics highlights (6). John Benjamins, Amsterdam / Philadelphia, pp. 17-35. ISBN 9789027289179
- Treffers-Daller, J. (2009) Language dominance and lexical diversity: how bilinguals and L2 learners differ in their knowledge and use of French lexical and functional items. In: Richards, B., Daller, H. M., Malvern, D. D., Milton, J. and Treffers-Daller, J. (eds.) Vocabulary studies in first and second language acquisition. The interface between theory and application. Palgrave, Basingstoke, UK, pp. 74-90. ISBN 9780230206687
- Tidball, F. and Treffers-Daller, J. (2008) Analysing lexical richness in French learner language: what frequency lists and teacher judgements can tell us about basic and advanced words. Journal of French Language Studies, 18 (3). pp. 299-313. ISSN 0959-2695 doi: https://doi.org/10.1017/S0959269508003463 (Special issue: knowledge and use of the lexicon in French as a second language)
- Treffers-Daller, J., Daller, M. H., Malvern, D., Richards, B., Meara, P. and Milton, J., eds. (2008) Knowledge and use of the lexicon in French as a second language. Journal of French Language Studies, 18 (3). Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, pp112. (Special issue 03)
- Milton, J., Daller, H., Malvern, D., Meara, P., Richards, B. and Treffers-Daller, J., eds. (2008) Vocabulary. Language Learning Journal (special issue), 36 (2). Routledge, pp. 135-265.
- Treffers-Daller, J., Ozsoy, A. S. and van Hout, R. (2007) (In)Complete acquisition of Turkish among Turkish German bilinguals in Germany and Turkey: an analysis of complex embeddings in narratives. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism, 10 (3). pp. 248-276. ISSN 1367-0050 doi: https://doi.org/10.2167/beb443.0
- Treffers-Daller, J. (2005) Brussels French une fois: Transfer-induced innovation or system-internal development? Bilingualism: Language and Cognition, 8 (2). pp. 145-157. ISSN 1469-1841 doi: https://doi.org/10.1017/S1366728905002166
- Treffers-Daller, J. (2005) Evidence for insertional codemixing: mixed compounds and French nominal groups in Brussels Dutch. International Journal of Bilingualism, 9 (3-4). pp. 477-506. ISSN 1756-6878 doi: https://doi.org/10.1177/13670069050090030901
- Treffers-Daller, J. and Mougeon, R. (2005) The role of transfer in language variation and change: Evidence from contact varieties of French. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition, 8 (2). pp. 93-98. ISSN 1469-1841 doi: https://doi.org/10.1017/S1366728905002191
- Treffers-Daller, J. (1999) Borrowing and shift-induced interference: contrasting patterns in French-Germanic contact in Brussels and Strasbourg. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition, 2 (1). pp. 1-22. ISSN 1469-1841
- Treffers-Daller, J. (1991) Towards a uniform approach to code-switching and borrowing. In: ESF Network on Codeswitching and language contact, g. (ed.) Papers for the workshop on constraints, conditions and models. European Science Foundation, Strasbourg, pp. 259-279.
- Brussels (Belgium). April 2016. Invited speaker at the Symposium on Translanguaging in Multilingual Urban Settings.
- Sheffield (UK). January 2016. Invited speaker at the Workshop Perspectives on making language meaningful in the language learning context".
- Aix-en-Provence (France). August 2015. Eurosla. Discussant at the Language Learning Round Table on Second Language Acquisition and Pidginization / Creolization: Processes and Models.
- Nijmegen (the Netherlands), 11-13 September, 2015. Invited keynote speaker at the Third Learner Corpus Research Conference.
- Trondheim (Norway), August 2015. Invited keynote speaker at SALC5 (The Fifth Conference of the Scandinavian Association for Language and Cognition, Trondheim (Norway).
- Essex (UK). July 2015. At home in more than two languages. Communication strategies and language practices of multilingual families. Thinking home Symposium.
- Swansea (UK). July 2015. How does vocabulary knowledge affect academic achievement among HE students? Vocabulary SIG, British Association for Applied Linguistics.
- Thessaloniki (Greece), 24-26 April 2015. Invited plenary speaker at the 22nd Symposium on Theoretical and Applied Linguistics.
- Yangling (China). April 2015. What's in a word? Invited speaker, Foreign Language Department of Northwest A&F University, Yangling (Xian Province).
- Bristol University, Graduate School of Education, 5th December 2014. Evaluating vocabulary usage in student essays written for the Pearson Test of English Academic: Can we predict CEFR levels?.
- Trondheim (Norway), 6th November 2014. Learning out of the corner of your ear: the role of statistical learning in L2 acquisition.
- Lille, 20-21 June 2014, Aspectual markers in motion event constuals among English and Italian monolinguals and Italian-English bilinguals. Langacross conference (with Jacqueline Laws and Eliana Mastrantuono).
- Amsterdam, 21 February 2014. ACLC. The impact of reading and vocabulary on academic achievement.
- Brussels, 10th January 2014.Contact-induced change in grammatical collocations in Brussels French. Workshop French as spoken in Brussels. Facultés Universitaires St Louis in Brussels.
Any Further Information:
Enterprise Activity, External Roles and Consultancy:
- Member of the ESRC peer review College.
- Treasurer of the University Council for General and Applied Linguistics.