Areas of interestInternational finance, banking, empirical finance, big data analytics, online prices, and emerging market economies.
Postgraduate supervisionI am interested in supervising research in line with my areas of interest.
BackgroundI joined the Department of Economics at the University of Reading in September 2018. My research interests are in applied economics, media economics and empirical finance. I am particularly interested in the implications of big data/big data analytics for economic research as well as macroeconomic measurement and policies. My research has been covered in a number of media outlets including The Guardian, BBC, The Times and The Economist among others.
- PhD Finance, Swansea University
- MSc Banking and Finance, Coventry University
- BA (Hons) International Economics, Diplomatic Academy of Vietnam
Awards and honours
- Newton Fund Research Environmental Links UK/Vietnam Grant (2017)
- UNU-WIDER Research Project Grant (2016)
- Gorodnichenko, Y. , Pham, T. , Talavera, O. (2021) Social media, sentiment and public opinions: evidence from #Brexit and #USElection. European Economic Review , 136 ISSN: 0014-2921 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.euroecorev.2021.103772
- Faryna, O. , Pham, T. , Talavera, O. , Tsapin, A. (2021) Wage and unemployment: evidence from online job vacancy data. Journal of Comparative Economics ISSN: 0147-5967 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jce.2021.05.003
- Gorodnichenko, Y. , Pham, T. , Talavera, O. (2021) Conference presentations and academic publishing. Economic Modelling , 95 pp. 228-254. ISSN: 0264-9993 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.econmod.2020.12.017
- Caglayan, M. , Pham, T. , Talavera, O. , Xiong, X. (2020) Asset mispricing in peer-to-peer loan secondary markets. Journal of Corporate Finance , 65 ISSN: 0929-1199 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jcorpfin.2020.101769
- Pham, T. , Talavera, O. , Tsapin, A. (2020) Shock contagion, asset quality and lending behaviour: the case of war in Eastern Ukraine. Kyklos ISSN: 1467-6435 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/kykl.12261
- Pham, T. , Talavera, O. , Junhong, Y. (2020) Multimarket competition and profitability: evidence from Ukrainian banks. Oxford Economic Papers , 72 (2). pp. 517-545. ISSN: 1464-3812 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/oep/gpz041
- Caglayan, M. , Pham, T. , Talavera, O. (2019) Dollarization, pass-through, and domestic lending: evidence from Turkish banking. Emerging Markets Finance and Trade pp 12. ISSN: 1540-496X | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1540496x.2019.1678146
- Pham, T. and Talavera, O. (2018) Discrimination, social capital, and financial constraints: the case of Viet Nam. World Development , 102 pp. 228-242. ISSN: 0305-750X | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.worlddev.2017.10.005
- Pham, T. , Talavera, O. , Zhang, M. (2018) Self-employment, financial development and well-being: evidence from China, Russia and Ukraine. Journal of Comparative Economics , 46 (3). pp. 754-769. ISSN: 0147-5967 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jce.2018.07.006