- Module Convenor for Behavioural Economics (EC343), Experimental Economics (EC321) and Industrial Organization (EC347)
- Study Abroad Coordinator
- Member of the Grant Review College
Areas of interest
Behavioural Economics, Environmental Economics, Development Economics.
My research interests are in behavioural economics with a particular focus on how human behaviour interacts with environmental conservation and development issues, using both lab and field experiments. I am involved in research studying the mechanisms of behavioural adaptation and the design of incentives schemes from a general standpoint as well as in research with a more applied approach. Some of my recent projects deal with the effect of moral self-licensing on pro-environmental behaviour as well as the impacts of time preferences and framing on environmental conservation programmes.
I welcome inquiries from research students interested in the application of behavioural economics to environmental and/or development issues.
Before joining the University, I worked for several years as a consultant for international organisations in the field of microfinance and natural resources management across various countries in Africa and Latin America.
- PhD in Behavioural Economics
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Awards and honours
- ESRC. Relative poverty and decision-making: Investigating the impact of incentivised conservation programmes'
- EIT Food4Health 2020. Co-creating and evaluating strategies to help people change behaviour with respect to nutrition and physical activity
- Horizon 2020 Societal Challenges. Visionary and integrated solutions to improve well-being and health in cities
- Snuggs, S. ORCID: 0000-0001-5191-9517 , Clot, S. ORCID: 0000-0002-4964-825X , Lamport, D. ORCID: 0000-0002-4592-0439 , Sah, A. , Forrest, J. , Helme Guizon, A. , Kaur, A. , Iqbal, Z. , Caldara, C. , Wilhelm, M. , Anin, C. , Vogt, J. ORCID: 0000-0002-3178-2805 (2023) A mixed-methods approach to understanding barriers and facilitators to healthy eating and exercise from five European countries: highlighting the roles of enjoyment, emotion and social engagement. Psychology & Health ISSN: 1476-8321 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08870446.2023.2274045
- Mahmoodi Kahriz, B. , Snuggs, S. , Sah, A. , Clot, S. ORCID: 0000-0002-4964-825X , Lamport, D. ORCID: 0000-0002-4592-0439 , Forrest, J. , Helme - Guizon, A. , Wilhelm, M. , Caldara, C. , Anin, C. , Vogt, J. ORCID: 0000-0002-3178-2805 (2023) Unveiling consumer preferences and intentions for co-created features of a combined diet and physical activity app: a cross-sectional study in four European countries. JMIR Human Factors ISSN: 2292-9495 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.2196/44993
- Clot, S. ORCID: 0000-0002-4964-825X , Grolleau, G. , Ibanez, L. (2022) A reference point bias in judging cheaters. Journal of Economic Psychology , 89 ISSN: 0167-4870 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.joep.2022.102485
- Clot, S. ORCID: 0000-0002-4964-825X , Grolleau, G. , Ibanez, L. (2022) Projection bias in environmental beliefs and behavioural intentions - an application to solar panels and eco-friendly transport. Energy Policy , 160 ISSN: 0301-4215 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2021.112645
- Clot, S. , Della Giusta, M. ORCID: 0000-0003-3959-4451 , Jewell, S. ORCID: 0000-0002-4413-6618 (2022) Once good, always good? Testing nudge’s spillovers on pro environmental behavior. Environment and Behavior , 54 (3). pp. 655-669. ISSN: 1552-390X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1177/00139165211060524
- Clot, S. , Grolleau, G. , Ibanez, L. (2018) Shall we pay all? An experimental test of Random Incentivized Systems. Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics , 73 pp. 93-98. ISSN: 2214-8043 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.socec.2018.01.004
- Clot, S. , Grolleau, G. , Ibanez, L. (2018) Moral self-licencing and social dilemmas: an experimental analysis from a taking game in Madagascar. Applied Economics , 50 (27). pp. 2980-2991. ISSN: 1466-4283 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00036846.2017.1412083
- Clot, S. , Grolleau, G. , Méral, P. (2017) Payment vs. compensation for ecosystem services: do words have a voice in the design of environmental conservation programs?. Ecological Economics , 135 pp. 299-303. ISSN: 0921-8009 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolecon.2016.12.028
- Clot, S. , Stanton, C. , Willinger, M. (2017) Are impatient farmers more risk-averse? Evidence from a lab-in-the-field experiment in rural Uganda. Applied Economics , 49 (2). pp. 156-169. ISSN: 1466-4283 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00036846.2016.1192277
- Clot, S. , Andriamahefazafy, F. , Grolleau, G. , Ibanez, L. , Méral, P. (2015) Compensation and Rewards for Environmental Services (CRES) and efficient design of contracts in developing countries. Behavioral insights from a natural field experiment. Ecological Economics , 113 pp. 85-96. ISSN: 0921-8009 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolecon.2015.02.021
- Clot, S. and Stanton, C. (2014) Present bias predicts participation in payments for environmental services: evidence from a behavioral experiment in Uganda. Ecological Economics , 108 pp. 162-170. ISSN: 0921-8009 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolecon.2014.07.026
- Clot, S. , Grolleau, G. , Ibanez, L. (2014) Smug alert! Exploring self-licensing behaviour in a cheating game. Economics Letters , 123 (2). pp. 191-194. ISSN: 0165-1765 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.econlet.2014.01.039
- Clot, S. , Grolleau, G. , Ibanez, L. (2013) Self-licensing and financial rewards: is morality for sale?. Economics Bulletin , 33 (3). pp. 2298-2306. ISSN: 1545-2921
- Clot, S. , Grolleau, G. , Ibanez, L. , Ndodjang, P. (2013) L'effet de compensation morale ou comment les 'bonnes actions' peuvent aboutir à une situation indésirable. Revue Economique , 65 (3). ISSN: 0035-2764