Areas of interestMy research mainly focuses on Macroeconomics and Labour Economics, with particular interests in understanding cyclical fluctuations, wage determination and issues of economic inequality. I also do research in Sports Economics and Prediction Markets, as well as a bit of football forecasting.
am interested in work at the intersection of macroeconomcis and labour markets. This could include: how wages are determined, wage inequality, and business cycle fluctuations. This could be theoretical (e.g. models with search frictions) or applied/empirical (e.g. measuring whether wages are sticky, or how much of wage inequality is driven by the differences between firms).
I will supervise other applied research so long as it relates to the role of labour markets. I also have a growing interest in Sports Economics and would supervise work in this area. (See my personal website for the latest versions of all my publications and working papers).
BackgroundI have been a Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in Economics at the University of Reading since 2018. Before that, I received my PhD from The University of Edinburgh, after a few years working in the Government Economic Service.
- MSc & PhD, University of Edinburgh
- BSc, London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE)
- Scarfe, R. , Singleton, C. ORCID: 0000-0001-8247-8830 , Telemo, P. (2021) Extreme wages, performance and superstars in a market for footballers. Industrial Relations , 60 (1). pp. 84-118. ISSN: 1468-232X | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/irel.12270
- Bryson, A. , Dolton, P. , Reade, J. ORCID: 0000-0002-8610-530X , Schreyer, D. , Singleton, C. ORCID: 0000-0001-8247-8830 (2021) Causal effects of an absent crowd on performances and refereeing decisions during Covid-19. Economics Letters , 198 ISSN: 0165-1765 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.econlet.2020.109664
- Reade, J. ORCID: 0000-0002-8610-530X and Singleton, C. ORCID: 0000-0001-8247-8830 (2020) Demand for public events in the COVID-19 pandemic: a case study of European football. European Sport Management Quarterly ISSN: 1618-4742
- Reade, J. ORCID: 0000-0002-8610-530X , Schreyer, D. , Singleton, C. ORCID: 0000-0001-8247-8830 (2020) Stadium attendance demand during the COVID-19 crisis: early empirical evidence from Belarus. Applied Economics Letters ISSN: 1466-4291 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13504851.2020.1830933
- Razzu, G. ORCID: 0000-0003-2640-8314 , Singleton, C. ORCID: 0000-0001-8247-8830 , Mitchell, M. (2020) On why the gender employment gap in Britain has stalled since the early 1990s. Industrial Relations Journal , 51 (6). pp. 476-501. ISSN: 0019-8692 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/irj.12309
- Reade, J. , Singleton, C. , Brown, A. (2020) Evaluating strange forecasts: the curious case of football match scorelines. Scottish Journal of Political Economy ISSN: 1467-9485 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/sjpe.12264
- Scarfe, R. , Singleton, C. , Telemo, P. (2020) Do high wage footballers play for high wage teams? The case of Major League Soccer. International Journal of Sport Finance , 15 (4). pp. 177-190. ISSN: 1930-076X | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.32731/IJSF.154.112020.03
- Jewell, S. , Reade, J. , Singleton, C. ORCID: 0000-0001-8247-8830 (2020) It’s just not cricket: the uncontested toss and the gentleman’s game. In: Butler, R. , (eds.) Advances in Sports Economics. Agenda Publishing , Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.
- Reade, J. and Singleton, C. ORCID: 0000-0001-8247-8830 (2020) European football after COVID-19. In: Billio, M. and Varotto, S. , (eds.) A new world post COVID-19: lessons for business, the finance industry and policy makers. Ca’ Foscari University Press , Venice, Italy. | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.30687/978-88-6969-442-4/028
- Reade, J. , Singleton, C. , Vaughan Williams, L. (2020) Betting markets for English Premier League results and scorelines: evaluating a forecasting model. Economic Issues , 25 (1). pp. 87-106. ISSN: 1363-7029
- Singleton, C. , Reade, J. , Brown, A. (2020) Going with your gut: the (in)accuracy of forecast revisions in a football score prediction game. Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics , 89 ISSN: 2214-8043 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.socec.2019.101502
- Elaad, G. , Reade, J. , Singleton, C. (2020) Information, prices and efficiency in an online betting market. Finance Research Letters , 35 ISSN: 1544-6123 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.frl.2019.09.006
- Jewell, S. , Razzu, G. , Singleton, C. (2020) Who works for whom and the UK gender pay gap. British Journal of Industrial Relations , 58 (1). pp. 50-81. ISSN: 0007-1080 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/bjir.12497
- Schaefer, D. and Singleton, C. (2020) Recent changes in British wage inequality: evidence from large firms and occupations. Scottish Journal of Political Economy , 67 (1). pp. 100-125. ISSN: 1467-9485 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/sjpe.12225
- Schaefer, D. and Singleton, C. (2019) Cyclical labor costs within jobs. European Economic Review , 120 ISSN: 0014-2921 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.euroecorev.2019.103317
- Singleton, C. (2019) The public-private sector wage differential in the UK: evidence from longitudinal employer-employee data. Economics Letters , 174 pp. 109-113. ISSN: 0165-1765 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.econlet.2018.11.005
- Singleton, C. (2018) Long-term unemployment and the great recession: evidence from UK stocks and flows. Scottish Journal of Political Economy , 65 (2). pp. 105-126. ISSN: 1467-9485 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/sjpe.12139
- Schaefer, D. and Singleton, C. (2018) Unemployment and econometric learning. Research in Economics , 72 (2). pp. 277-296. ISSN: 1090-9443 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.rie.2017.10.005
- Razzu, G. and Singleton, C. (2018) Segregation and gender gaps in the United Kingdom's great recession and recovery. Feminist Economics , 24 (4). pp. 31-55. ISSN: 1466-4372 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13545701.2018.1451907
- Razzu, G. and Singleton, C. (2016) Gender and the business cycle: an analysis of labour markets in the US and UK. Journal of Macroeconomics , 47 pp. 131-146. ISSN: 0164-0704 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jmacro.2015.12.006
- Razzu, G. and Singleton, C. (2014) The macroeconomic context: gender business cycles. In: Razzu, G. , (eds.) Gender inequality in the labour market in the UK. Oxford University Press , Oxford. ISBN: 9780199686483 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/acprof:oso/9780199686483.003.0002