Professor of Public Engagement with History
NERC Research Fellow
- Combining novel energy budget and individual-based simulation models to investigate how animal populations respond to spatially explicit land management scenarios.
- The use of mechanistic modelling approaches to better understand the relationships between soil organisms, management practices, and extreme weather events.
- Investigating how earthworms act as ecosystem engineers in soils by linking earthworm activities to soil functions and ecosystem services.
- Quantitative methods for integrating nutritional ecology in energy budget and individual-based models.
- I am also interested in the economic valuation of ecosystem services and the expansion of modelling approaches to include socio-economic interactions.
Impact, Enterprise and Outreach
- Invited participant to SETAC workshops
- Ecological modelling consultant for industry
- Awarded a NERC Research Fellowship
- Reviewer for 4 ISI journals
- Prof Volker Grimm, Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research, Leipzig
- Martin Holmstrup, Aarhus University, Denmark
- Thomas Preuss, Bayer CropScience, Germany
- Andre Gergs, Aachen University, Germany
- Elske van der Vaart, Tilburg University, Netherlands
- Prof Mark Hodson, University of York
- Dr Pernille Thorbek, Syngenta
Clerk A; Cullingford TE; Fuller SJ; Giraldo A; Sugden PH. Endothelin-1 regulation of immediate early gene expression in cardiac myocytes: negative feedback regulation of interleukin 6 by Atf3 and Klf2. 49th International Symposium on Regulation of Enzyme Activity and Synthesis in Normal and Neoplastic Tissues, 22 Sep 2008 - 23 Sep 2008. 49:30-42. ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV (2009).
Sugden P; Pikkarainen S; Tham EL; Cullingford T; Molkentin J; Cornils H; Hemmings B; Clerk A; et al. Nuclear Dbf2-related protein kinases (NDRs) in isolated cardiac myocytes and the isolated heart: activation by cellular stresses and by phosphoprotein serine-threonine-phosphatase inhibitors. Joint Conference of the 33rd FEBS Congress/11th IUBMB Conference, 28 Jun 2008 - 3 Jul 2008. 275:95-95. BLACKWELL PUBLISHING (Jun 2008).
Sugden PH; Fuller SJ; Weiss SC; Clerk A. Glycogen synthase kinase 3 (GSK3) in the heart: a point of integration in hypertrophic signalling and a therapeutic target? A critical analysis. Joint Life Science Meeting of the British-Pharmacological-Society/Physiological-Society/Biochemical-Society. 153:S137-S153. (Mar 2008).
Clerk A; Giraldo A; Sugden PH. Chemotherapeutic agents and gene expression in cardiac myocytes. 47th International Symposium on Regulation of Enzyme Activity and Synthesis in Normal and Neoplastic Tissue. 47:140-153. (2007).
Markou T; Sugden PH; Clerk A. Regulation of protein kinase Cd (PKCd) in rat cardiomyocytes. IUBMB 50th Anniversary Symposium. 272:310-310. (Jul 2005).
Zoumpoulidou G; Kemp T; Aggeli I; Clerk A. Regulation of p21(CIP1/WAF1) mRNA and protein in cardiac myocytes. IUBMB 50th Anniversary Symposium. 272:49-49. (Jul 2005).
Giraldo A; Pikkarainen S; Sugden PH; Clerk A. Regulation of the expression of ATF3 in cardiac myocytes in response to hypertrophic and apoptotic stimulation. 19th World Congress of the ISHR, 22 Jun 2007 - 25 Jun 2007. 42:S84-S84. ACADEMIC PRESS LTD ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD (Jun 2007). DOI.
Zoumpoulidou G; Kemp T; Aggeli I; Clerk A. Regulation of p21(Cip1/Waf1) mRNA and protein in cardiac myocytes. Annual Autumn Meeting of the British-Society-for-Cardiovascular-Research, 15 Sep 2005 - 16 Sep 2005. 92. B M J PUBLISHING GROUP (Feb 2006).