What is Live Events?
Microsoft Live Events is a powerful production tool for virtual events. This service allows users to broadcast video and meeting content to large online audiences, and is suitable for large-scale, non-discussion events such as All-Staff briefings, Virtual Open Days, conference sessions.
Benefits of Live Events
- Up to 10,000 participants.
- Suits live video streaming as core content
- Extension of Teams, so all staff, students and guests have access
- Q&A functionality
- Support available
Things to consider before using Live Events
- Only one presenter can be on screen at any time, this does not suit panel events
- Live Events is a relatively new product and so training may be required
- Less collaboration involved, Q&As but not suited to interactive presentations
Further details of Live Events functionality is available via the Microsoft webpages.
Where can I learn more?
We recently hosted a session to share information and guidance about Live Events functionality with the University. One of the great features of Live Events is that these can be recorded into Stream and shared with groups, individuals and the whole University, and our recording can be found here:
How do I access Live Events?
Our University of Reading Microsoft License currently allows for 50 concurrent Live Events sessions to run at any time. Due to this, DTS need to manage Live Events requests and permissions to create and run virtual events to ensure that events proceed without interruption and to provide the best customer experience. Priority will be given to events held by the University's MCE department.
To request access to create and run a Microsoft Live Events event, please complete the online Virtual Events form to capture your requirements. A member of our Customer Experience & Service Delivery team may contact you to discuss the functionality you require, and whether you require support. As well as capturing the dates and number of sessions you require to ensure licenses are available.
If Microsoft Live Events is suitable for your event, DTS will request access via our Operations team for you to create and run Live Events and agree a support model for your sessions.
Training, Guidance & Advice
Our colleagues in the Events team have put together some great training presentations:
- Producers presentation
- Training video for Presenters
- Microsoft Teams recording - step by step guide
- Presenter Microsoft Teams Live guide
- Producing a live session with a pre-recorded PowerPoint presentation
- Producing a live session with a live PowerPoint presentation
- Attend a live event
- Producing/Presenting a live event
Further information & questions
For any other questions and advice, please log a ticket via the IT Self-Service Portal and our teams would be happy to help.