Quarantine Support Package 2021/22
The University understands the significant disruption that the coronavirus pandemic has caused, particularly to international travel. To help international students with some of the additional costs that they may face, we are pleased to confirm that we have put in place the University of Reading Quarantine Support Package 2021/22.
This support is offered to students resident outside the UK and Republic of Ireland who are travelling to Reading for the 2021/22 academic year, whether as new or returning students. It is based on the UK Government’s current travel guidance and, specifically, the requirements in relation to quarantine and mandatory COVID-19 testing.
The package consists of two separate sources of financial assistance for eligible students:
Quarantine hotel costs
- If you are travelling from, or via, a country or territory on the UK Government’s red list you, are currently required to undertake 10 full days of ‘managed quarantine’ in hotel accommodation on immediate arrival in the UK.
- The cost of managed quarantine is £1,750 for bookings made on or before 11 August 2021 or £2,285 for bookings made on or after 12 August 2021. This includes COVID-19 tests.
- The University of Reading will reimburse the £1,750 or £2,285 cost for eligible students, applying the refund as a credit against your tuition fees for the academic year 2021/22.
- We are unable to pay towards the cost of hotel quarantine for spouses, parents/guardians or dependents.
Travel COVID-19 tests
- Arrival in the UK before 0400 4 October 2021 – If you are travelling from, or via, a country or territory on the UK Government's green or amber list, you are required to go through a process of COVID-19 testing: one test for green list arrivals or fully vaccinated people from certain amber list countries and 2 tests for all other amber list arrivals (with a voluntary third test, if you participate in the Test to Release scheme).
- Arrival in the UK from 04:00 4 October 2021 – The green and amber system of classifying countries and territories ends on 4th October 2021 (the red list arrangements will stay in place). Travellers who qualify as 'fully vaccinated' by the UK government will only be required to take a single COVID-19 test on or before day 2 after their arrival in England. Travellers who do meet the definition of fully vaccinated must follow the testing schedule for amber list arrivals detailed above.
- COVID-19 tests are arranged through private providers and the cost varies. The University of Reading will contribute to the cost of up to three mandatory COVID-19 tests undertaken upon arrival in the UK up to a limit of £70 per test (£210 in total), applying the refund as a credit against your tuition fees for the academic year 2021/22.
- We are unable to pay towards the cost of any mandatory COVID-19 tests taken in your home country before departure to the UK.
The University has been working hard to support students through this difficult period. We hope that this Quarantine Support Package, combined with the other measures around teaching and the safe return to campus, will offer you reassurance and support. For full details of the measures we have in place to manage coronavirus please refer to our dedicated webpages.
Read the full Quarantine Support Package guidelines, terms and conditions.
Apply for the Support Package. (This form is only accessible once fully enrolled.)
We look forward to welcoming our new and returning international students back on campus.