Dr Katherine Hyde
- Lecturer in Environmental Sustainability, School of Built Environment
- School Director of Academic Tutoring
- Module Convenor for undergraduate module Sustainability (CE3CS) and postgraduate module Sustainable Design, Construction and Operation (CM303).
Areas of interestSustainable solutions for engineering, particularly in water efficiency, green infrastructure and anaerobic digestion for renewable energy; construction management.
- Urban Sustainability: Sustainable Urban Water Environments (CEM220)
- Urban Sustainable Development in Emerging Economies (CEM213)
- Sustainable Urban Systems: Water Supply and Energy Implications (CEM232).
Research centres and groups
- School of the Built Environment, Institute of Sustainable Technology
- Walker Institute for Climate Research.
- Postgraduate Certificate of Learning and Teaching in HE, University of Hertfordshire
- PhD Environmental Risk Assessment, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Manchester
- MSc Water Resources Technology, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Birmingham
- BSc (Hons) Applied Science (Resources Science), Kingston University.
- Gaze C, Griggs J and Hyde K, October 2008, in Applying the Code for Sustainable Homes on the BRE Innovation Park, ISBN 978-1-84806-056-2
- Griggs J and Hyde K, March 2007, in Conserving Energy and Water, and Minimising Waste – A Review of Drivers and Impacts on Housebuilding, ISBN 978-1-86081-960-5
- Henningsson S, Hyde K, Smith A and Smith M, 2004. The value of resource efficiency in the food industry: a waste minimisation project in East Anglia, UK. Journal of Cleaner Production, 12, Issue 5, pp 505–12;
- Hyde K, Miller L, Smith A and Tolliday J, 2003. Minimising waste in the food and drink sector: using the business club approach to facilitate training and organisational development. Journal of Environmental Management, 67, Issue 4, pp 327–38.
- Perrotti, D. , Hyde, K. , Peña, D. (2020) Can water systems foster commoning practices? Analysing leverages for self-organization in urban water commons as social-ecological systems. Sustainability Science , 15 (3). pp. 781-795. ISSN: 1862-4065 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11625-020-00782-1
- Smith, M. and Hyde, K. (2018) Evidence concerning the irrigation of urban green infrastructure using lightly loaded greywater.
- Richardson, S. , Hyde, K. , Connaughton, J. (2018) Uncertainty assessment of comparative design stage embodied carbon assessments: decision making under uncertainty. Embodied Carbon in Buildings: Measurement, Management and Mitigation. Springer , Cham, Switzerland. pp. 51-76. ISBN: 9783319727950 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-72796-7_3
- Hyde, K. and Smith, M. (2018) Greywater recycling and reuse. Urban Pollution: Science and Management. Wiley pp. 211-222. ISBN: 9781119260509 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/9781119260493
- Adeyeye, K. , Bairi, A. , Emmitt, S. , Hyde, K. (2018) Socially-integrated resilience in building-level water networks using smart microgrid+net. Procedia Engineering , 212 pp. 39-46. ISSN: 18777058 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2018.01.006
- Hyde, K. , Smith, M. , Adeyeye, K. (2017) Developments in the quality of treated greywater supplies for buildings, and associated user perception and acceptance. International Journal for Low Carbon Technologies , 12 (1). pp. 136-140. ISSN: 1748-1325 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/ijlct/ctw006
- Smith, M. and Hyde, K. (2016) Monitoring drainage water quality during green roof irrigation trials using synthetic greywater. British Journal of Environment and Climate Change , 6 (2). pp. 138-148. ISSN: 2231-4784 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.9734/BJECC/2016/18189
- Hyde, K. , Smith, M. , Adeyeye, K. (2014) Attributes of greywater reuse; well-controlled greywater treatment and user perception.
- Wymer, C. , Adeyeye, K. , Robinson, D. , Hyde, K. (2014) The effectiveness of awareness tools on water use efficiency in university halls of residence.
- Richardson, S. , Hyde, K. , Connaughton, J. , Merefield, D. (2014) Service life of UK supermarkets: origins of assumptions and their impact on embodied carbon estimates.
- Kevany, K. , Siebel, M. , Hyde, K. , Nazer, D. , Huisingh, D. (2013) Water, women, waste, wisdom and wealth: harvesting the confluences and opportunities. Journal of Cleaner Production , 60 pp. 4-10. ISSN: 0959-6526 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2013.07.018
- Hyde, K. and Maradza, E. (2013) An evaluation of the theoretical potential and practical opportunity for using greywater for domestic purposes in Ghana. Journal of Cleaner Production , 60 pp. 195-200. ISSN: 0959-6526 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2013.05.004
- Hyde, . , Griggs, . , Gaze, . (2009) Lessons learnt about water use, harvesting, recycling and drainage. Complying with the code for sustainable homes: Lessons learnt on the BRE Innovation Park. , 3. IHS-BRE pp. 17-22. ISBN: 9781848060647