Professor Chris Harty
Areas of interest
Chris's research focuses on the interactions between organisations, people and technology that constitutes socio-technical systems, and on understanding the ways that new practices and ways of using and working emerge and are shaped through engagement with new technologies.
At the centre of this approach is understanding current practice, as well as the potential of new technologies. His work draws on a range of sociological concepts and methodologies, especially the area of science and technology studies.
He has conducted studies of technology implementation and use on major construction projects, including the fifth terminal at Heathrow airport, and St Bartholemew's and Royal London hospitals in central London.
Chris is keen to develop new ideas and collaborations, and to discuss potential PhD projects, around the areas of the effects and consequences of information technology on practices and organisational forms in construction. He is also interested in the role of information and knowledge management in the sector and, more generally, qualitative and sociologically-oriented studies of engineering and construction practice.
- Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice, University of Reading. Merit, October 2012
- PhD, Department of Sociology, Lancaster University. Funded through an ESRC CASE award. Supervisors Prof Elizabeth Shove and Prof Luis Araujo. External examiner Prof Mike Bresnen, September 2000–May 2005
- MA in Contemporary Sociology, Department of Sociology, Lancaster University, September 1999–August 2000
- BA (Hons) in Combined Studies (first class honours); Sociology, History and English at University of Northumbria. Awarded the Tempest Prize for overall academic achievement, September 1996–June 1999.
Professional bodies/affiliationsFellow of the Higher Education Academy from December 2012.
- Jacobsen, P. , Tryggestad, K. , Harty, C. (2020) Design as redesign in the case of architectural competitions: the role of design visualisations and juries. Culture and Organization ISSN: 1477-2760 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14759551.2020.1778697
- Dowsett, R. , Green, M. , Sexton, M. , Harty, C. (2019) Projecting at the project-level: MMC supply chain integration roadmap for small housebuilders. Construction Innovation: Information, Process, Management , 19 (2). pp. 193-211. ISSN: 1471-4175 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/CI-07-2017-0059
- Dowsett, R. and Harty, C. (2019) Assessing the implementation of BIM – an information systems approach. Construction Management and Economics , 37 (10). pp. 551-566. ISSN: 0144-6193 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01446193.2018.1476728
- Dowsett, R. , Leicht, R. , Harty, C. (2018) Organisational implications of robotics in the management of engineering projects. pp. 897-910.
- Ofori-Darko, J. , Nikolic, D. , Harty, C. (2018) Team interactions in digitally-mediated design meetings. pp. 247-254.
- Maftei, L. , Roupé, M. , Johansson, M. , Harty, C. (2018) Power plays: designers, users and interactive digital technology. 34th Annual ARCOM Conference, 3-5 September 2018, Belfast, UK
- Dowsett, R. , Harty, C. , Davies, R. (2017) The complete robot? The human-machine interface in temporary off-site construction work. pp. 93-103.
- Green, M. , Dowsett, R. , Sexton, M. , Harty, C. (2017) Liquid integration and modern methods of construction: eddies of house-building in the UK. pp. 152-162.
- Dowsett, R. , Harty, C. , Davies, R. (2017) Epistemological differences and new technology in construction. pp. 714-723.
- Tryggestad, K. , Harty, C. , Jacobsen, P. (2017) The building as context and object: or how to design a new hospital building and healthcare organization.
- Orstavik, F. and Harty, C. (2017) The unexplored brutality of performance recipes. pp. 512-521.
- Leicht, R. and Harty, C. (2017) Influence of multiparty IPD contracts on construction innovation. pp. 164-173.
- Dainty, A. , Leiringer, R. , Fernie, S. , Harty, C. (2017) BIM and the small construction firm: a critical perspective. Building Research & Information , 45 (6). pp. 696-709. ISSN: 0961-3218 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09613218.2017.1293940
- Harty, C. and Leiringer, R. (2017) The futures of construction management research. Construction Management and Economics , 35 (7). pp. 392-403. ISSN: 1466-433X | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01446193.2017.1306089
- Alnaser, A. and Harty, C. (2016) The implications of BIM execution on communication channels in the design process.
- Harty, C. and Dainty, A. (2016) Opening up the sociological imagination: construction management as the enabler of society. (Working Paper Series, Proceedings of the Engineering Project Organization Conference, Cle Elum, WA, June 28-30, 2016)
- Jacobsen, P. , Harty, C. , Tryggestad, K. (2016) (Re)constructing the wicked problem through the visual and the verbal: the case of a dialogue based architectural competition. (Chan, P W (Ed.) and Neilson, C J (Ed.), Proceedings 32nd Annual ARCOM Conference, 5-7 September 2016, Manchester UK. Association of Researchers in Construction Management, 761-770.)
- Dowsett, R. and Harty, C. (2016) Making the link between BIM's benefits and implementation. (In: Chan, P W (Ed.) and Neilson, C J (Ed.), Proceedings 32nd Annual ARCOM Conference, 5-7 September 2016, Manchester UK. Association of Researchers in Construction Management, 35-44.)
- Maftei, L. and Harty, C. (2016) Challenging design perceptions in immersive virtual reality environments?.
- Harty, C. and Tryggestad, K. (2015) The hospital building as project and matter of concern: the role of representations in negotiating patient room designs and bodies. Engineering Project Organization Journal , 5 (2-3). pp. 95-105. ISSN: 2157-3735 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/21573727.2015.1046047
- Davies, R. , Crespin-Mazet, F. , Linne, A. , Pardo, C. , Havenvid, M. , Harty, C. , Ivory, C. , Salle, R. (2015) BIM in Europe: innovation networks in the construction sectors of Sweden, France and the UK. pp. 1135-1144.
- Ewart, I. and Harty, C. (2015) Provision of disability adaptations to the home: analysis of household survey data. Housing Studies , 30 (6). pp. 901-924. ISSN: 0267-3037 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02673037.2014.991379
- Maftei, L. and Harty, C. (2015) Designing in caves: using immersive visualisations in design practice. International Journal of Architectural Research: ArchNet-IJAR , 9 (3). pp. 53-75. ISSN: 1938-7806 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.26687/archnet-ijar.v9i3.693 (special issue “Design Creativity: "Future Integrated Visualisation Directions”)
- Shibeika, A. and Harty, C. (2015) Diffusion of digital innovation in construction: a case study of a UK engineering firm. Construction Management and Economics , 33 (5-6). pp. 453-466. ISSN: 0144-6193 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01446193.2015.1077982
- Young, B. , Harty, C. , Lu, S. , Davies, R. (2015) Developing temporary manufacturing facilities for residential building: a case of the modern flying factory. pp. 1033-1042.
- Maftei, L. and Harty, C. (2014) Designers' perspectives on the use of immersive virtual reality technology in practice. pp. 175-184.
- Davies, R. and Harty, C. (2014) Initial use of an idea capture app in a UK construction organisation. pp. 987-996.
- Collinge, W. and Harty, C. (2014) Stakeholder interpretations of design: Semiotic insights into the briefing process. Construction Management and Economics , 32 (7-8). pp. 760-772. ISSN: 0144-6193 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01446193.2014.894247
- Maftei, L. and Harty, C. (2013) Accounting for users: design team work in immersive virtual reality environments. pp. 157-166.
- Davies, R. and Harty, C. (2013) Measurement and exploration of individual beliefs about the consequences of building information modelling use. Construction Management and Economics , 31 (11). pp. 1110-1127. ISSN: 0144-6193 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01446193.2013.848994
- Davies, R. and Harty, C. (2013) Implementing ‘Site BIM’: a case study of ICT innovation on a large hospital project . Automation in Construction , 30 pp. 15-24. ISSN: 0926-5805 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2012.11.024
- Collinge, B. and Harty, C. (2012) Exploring the semiotic properties of design artefacts.
- Whyte, J. and Harty, C. (2012) Socio-material practices of design coordination: objects as plastic and partisan. In: Leonardi, P. , Nardi, B. , Kallinikos, Y. (eds.) Materiality and Organizing : Social Interaction in a Technological World. Oxford University Press , Oxford. pp. 196-216. ISBN: 9780199664054 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/acprof:oso/9780199664054.003.0010
- Harty, C. and Koch, C. (2011) Revisiting boundary objects: Enterprise Resource Planning and Building Information Modelling systems as multi-community artefacts. pp. 283-294. (Proceedings volume 2)
- Davies, R. and Harty, C. (2011) Building Information Modelling as innovation journey: BIM experiences on a major UK healthcare infrastructure project. pp. 233-245. (Proceedings volume 2)
- Harty, C. , Throssell, D. , Jeffrey, H. , Stagg, M. (2010) Implementing Building Information Modelling: a case study of the Barts and the London hospitals. (Paper 93)
- Harty, C. and Koch, C. (2010) The surprisingly orderly world of multi-community artefacts.
- Collinge, W. , Harty, C. , Liu, K. , Tang, Y. (2010) Assessing organizational semiotics for IT systems design: improving information exchange processes across construction project stakeholders. pp. 239-247.
- Liu, K. , Nakata, K. , Harty, C. (2010) Pervasive informatics: theory practice and future directions. Intelligent Buildings International , 2 (1). pp. 5-19. ISSN: 1750-8975 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.3763/inbi.2009.0041
- Bresnen, M. and Harty, C. (2010) Editorial: Objects, knowledge sharing and knowledge transformation in projects. Construction Management and Economics , 28 (6). pp. 549-555. ISSN: 0144-6193 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01446193.2010.495850
- Schweber, L. and Harty, C. (2010) Actors and objects: A socio-technical networks approach for construction management research. Construction Management and Economics , 28 (6). pp. 657-674. ISSN: 0144-6193 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01446191003702468
- Harty, C. (2010) Implementing innovation: designers, users and actor-networks. Technology Analysis & Strategic Management , 22 (3). pp. 297-315. ISSN: 1465-3990 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09537321003647339
- Harty, C. and Whyte, J. (2010) Emerging hybrid practices in construction design work: role of mixed media. Journal of Construction Management and Engineering , 136 (4). pp. 468-476. ISSN: 1943-7862 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CO.1943-7862.0000146
- Larsen, . and Harty, . (2009) Regulations and innovations across the UK construction sector: Social shaping in action. In: Atkin, . (eds.) pp. 3-12.
- Harty, C. and Collinge, W. (2009) Improving information sharing across construction stakeholders: an organizational semiotics approach. pp. 348-357.
- Harty, . and Collinge, . (2009) Using organizational semiotics theory and analysis for IT systems design: improving information exchange processes amongst construction project stakeholders.
- Harty, . (2009) Foucault, surveillance and the ‘dark side’ of BIM.
- Harty, C. and Araujo, L. (2009) Aligning user practices in innovation: The case of Heathrow's Terminal 5 project. In: Hakansson, H. , Waluszewski, A. , Prenkert, F. , Baraldi, E. (eds.) Use of science and technology in business: Exploring the impact of using activity for systems, organizations and people. Emerald , Bingley UK. pp. 271-290. ISBN: 9781848554740
- Whyte, . and Harty, . (2008) What is the object? Coordinating design work across a large construction project.
- Harty, . and Leiringer, . (2008) Construction management researchers as agents of change: balancing academic priorities and industry impact.
- Harty, . (2008) Enacting digital coordination: Developing and implementing data management practices in construction work.
- Harty, . (2008) Implementing innovation in construction: Contexts, relative boundedness and actor-network theory. Construction Management and Economics , 26 (10). pp. 1029-1041. ISSN: 0144-6193 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01446190802298413
- Harty, . and Whyte, . (2008) The role of media in construction design work and ecologies of practice.
- Harty, . (2008) Sociology and construction management research: Issues, approaches and implication. ISBN: 9780955239014
- Green, . and Harty, . (2008) Towards a co-production research agenda for construction competitiveness.
- Green, . , Harty, . , Elmualim, . , Larsen, . , Kao, . (2008) On the discourse of construction competitiveness. Building Research and Information , 36 (5). pp. 426-435. ISSN: 0961-3218 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09613210802076666
- Harty, . and Leiringer, . (2007) Social science research and construction: Balancing rigour and relevance.
- Harty, . , Goodier, . , Soetanto, . , Austin, . , Dainty, . , Price, . (2007) The futures of construction: A critical review of construction future studies. Construction Management and Economics , 25 (5). pp. 477-493. ISSN: 0144-6193 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01446190600879117
- Harty, . (2007) Objects and subjects: The role of technology in the production of construction practice.
- Harty, . (2007) Implementing innovation: Transforming practices and technologies in construction work.
- Harty, . , Goodier, . , Soetanto, . , Austin, . , Dainty, . , Price, . , Thorpe, . (2006) Scenario development: a methodology for aligning contemporary practices with the potential futures of UK construction. In: Boyd, . (eds.) Association of Researchers in Construction Management pp. 601-610. ISBN: 955239001
- Harty, . (2006) The role of users and contexts in innovation. In: Pietroforte, . , Angelis, . , Polverino, . (eds.) Joint 2006 CIB Working Commissions: W65, W55 and W86
- Harty, C. (2005) Innovation in construction: a sociology of technology approach. Building Research and Information , 33 (6). pp. 512-522. ISSN: 1466-4321 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09613210500288605