Professor Hilary Footitt
Member of the Steering Committee (Modern Languages)
Professor Hilary Footitt's UoR Staff Profile >>>
Research Interests in Literacy and Multilingualism:
- Language policy
- Role of multilinguals in war and conflict situations.
Current Projects in Literacy and Multilingualism:
- Speaking aid and development: foreign languages and the humanitarian space. This project aims to help to reconceptualise the humanitarian space of NGO activity as a multilingual space, and to embed foreign languages in the chronological path of humanitarian aid and development. It is exploring the following questions:
What are the foreign language policies (explicit/implicit) of NGOs working in aid and development, and what is the practice in using foreign languages on the ground of intervention?
How have these policies and practices been affected by contextual changes including:
conceptual challenges to the humanitarian space
Past Projects in Literacy and Multilingualism:
- Languages in war
- HE Modern Languages Strategy
Research Grants in Literacy and Multilingualism:
- Languages at War: Policies and Practices of Language Contacts in Contact. AHRC Project (2008- 2011) £ 513,839 ( www.reading.ac.uk/languages-at-war/)
- Languages and International NGOs: Cultural Knowledge in Communities in Crisis. AHRC Translating Cultures Development Grant (2012) £ 14,586 (www.reading.ac.uk/modern-languages-and-european-studies/research/LINGOS.aspx)
Publications in Literacy and Multilingualism:
(2005) HE and the Modern Languages Strategy, Research Report 625, Dfes.
2012 (with M. Kelly). Languages at war: Policies and Practices of Language Contacts in Conflict, Palgrave Studies in Languages at War, Palgrave Macmillan: Basingstoke.
2012 (with M. Kelly) eds. Languages and the Military: alliances, occupation and peacebuilding, Palgrave Studies in Languages at War: Basingstoke.
2012 ' Incorporating languages into histories of war: a research journey', Translation Studies, 5(2), 217-231.