Dr Alice Johnston
NERC Research Fellow
Areas of Interest
- Combining novel energy budget and individual-based simulation models to investigate how animal populations respond to spatially explicit land management scenarios.
- The use of mechanistic modelling approaches to better understand the relationships between soil organisms, management practices, and extreme weather events.
- Investigating how earthworms act as ecosystem engineers in soils by linking earthworm activities to soil functions and ecosystem services.
- Quantitative methods for integrating nutritional ecology in energy budget and individual-based models.
- I am also interested in the economic valuation of ecosystem services and the expansion of modelling approaches to include socio-economic interactions.
Impact, Enterprise and Outreach
- Invited participant to SETAC workshops
- Ecological modelling consultant for industry
- Awarded a NERC Research Fellowship
- Reviewer for 4 ISI journals
- Prof Volker Grimm, Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research, Leipzig
- Martin Holmstrup, Aarhus University, Denmark
- Thomas Preuss, Bayer CropScience, Germany
- Andre Gergs, Aachen University, Germany
- Elske van der Vaart, Tilburg University, Netherlands
- Prof Mark Hodson, University of York
- Dr Pernille Thorbek, Syngenta
Research groups / Centres
- Johnston, A. S. A. (2019) Land management modulates the environmental controls on global earthworm communities. Global Ecology and Biogeography, 28 (12). pp. 1787-1795. ISSN 1466-8238 doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/geb.12992
- Johnston, A. S.A., Boyd, R. J., Watson, J. W., Paul, A., Evans, L. C., Gardner, E. and Boult, V. (2019) Predicting population responses to environmental change from individual-level mechanisms: towards a standardized mechanistic approach. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, 286. 20191916. ISSN 1471-2954 doi: https://doi.org/10.1098/rspb.2019.1916
- Johnston, A. S. A., Sibly, R. M. and Thorbek, P. (2018) Forecasting tillage and soil warming effects on earthworm populations. Journal of Applied Ecology, 55 (3). pp. 1498-1509. ISSN 0021-8901 doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/1365-2664.13096
- Johnston, A. S. A. and Sibly, R. M. (2018) The influence of soil communities on the temperature sensitivity of soil respiration. Nature Ecology & Evolution, 2. pp. 1597-1602. ISSN 2397-334X doi: https://doi.org/10.1038/s41559-018-0648-6
- van der Vaart, E., Johnston, A. S. A. and Sibly, R. M. (2016) Predicting how many animals will be where: how to build, calibrate and evaluate individual-based models. Ecological Modelling, 326. pp. 113-123. ISSN 0304-3800 doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2015.08.012
- Reed, M., Alvarez, T., Chelinho, S., Forbes, V., Johnston, A., Meli, M., Voss, F. and Pastorok, R. (2016) A risk assessment example for soil invertebrates using spatially explicit agent-based models. Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management, 12 (1). pp. 58-66. ISSN 1551-3793 doi: https://doi.org/10.1002/ieam.1713
- Johnston, A. S. .A., Sibly, R. M., Hodson, M. E., Alvarez, T. and Thorbek, P. (2015) Effects of agricultural management practices on earthworm populations and crop yield: validation and application of a mechanistic modelling approach. Journal of Applied Ecology, 52 (5). pp. 1334-1342. ISSN 0021-8901 doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/1365-2664.12501
- van der Vaart, E., Beaumont, M. A., Johnston, A. S. A. and Sibly, R. M. (2015) Calibration and evaluation of individual-based models using Approximate Bayesian Computation. Ecological Modelling, 312. pp. 182-190. ISSN 0304-3800 doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2015.05.020
- Johnston, A. S. A., Holmstrup, M., Hodson, M. E., Thorbek, P., Alvarez, T. and Sibly, R. M. (2014) Earthworm distribution and abundance predicted by a process-based model. Applied Soil Ecology, 84. pp. 112-123. ISSN 0929-1393 doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsoil.2014.06.001
- Grimm, V., Augusiak, J., Focks, A., Frank, B. M., Gabsi, F., Johnston, A. S. A., Liu, C., Martin, B. T., Meli, M., Radchuk, V., Thorbek, P. and Railsback, S. F. (2014) Towards better modelling and decision support: Documenting model development, testing, and analysis using TRACE. Ecological Modelling, 280. pp. 129-139. ISSN 0304-3800 doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2014.01.018
- Johnston, A. S. A., Hodson, M. E., Thorbek, P., Alvarez, T. and Sibly, R. M. (2014) An energy budget agent-based model of earthworm populations and its application to study the effects of pesticides. Ecological Modelling, 280. pp. 5-17. ISSN 0304-3800 doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2013.09.012
- Sibly, R. M., Grimm, V., Martin, B. T., Johnston, A. S. A., Kulakowska, K., Topping, C. J., Calow, P., Nabe-Nielsen, J., Thorbek, P. and DeAngelis, D. L. (2013) Representing the acquisition and use of energy by individuals in agent-based models of animal populations. Methods in Ecology and Evolution, 4 (2). pp. 151-161. ISSN 2041-210X doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/2041-210x.12002
Clerk A; Cullingford TE; Fuller SJ; Giraldo A; Sugden PH. Endothelin-1 regulation of immediate early gene expression in cardiac myocytes: negative feedback regulation of interleukin 6 by Atf3 and Klf2. 49th International Symposium on Regulation of Enzyme Activity and Synthesis in Normal and Neoplastic Tissues, 22 Sep 2008 - 23 Sep 2008. 49:30-42. ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV (2009).
Sugden P; Pikkarainen S; Tham EL; Cullingford T; Molkentin J; Cornils H; Hemmings B; Clerk A; et al. Nuclear Dbf2-related protein kinases (NDRs) in isolated cardiac myocytes and the isolated heart: activation by cellular stresses and by phosphoprotein serine-threonine-phosphatase inhibitors. Joint Conference of the 33rd FEBS Congress/11th IUBMB Conference, 28 Jun 2008 - 3 Jul 2008. 275:95-95. BLACKWELL PUBLISHING (Jun 2008).
Sugden PH; Fuller SJ; Weiss SC; Clerk A. Glycogen synthase kinase 3 (GSK3) in the heart: a point of integration in hypertrophic signalling and a therapeutic target? A critical analysis. Joint Life Science Meeting of the British-Pharmacological-Society/Physiological-Society/Biochemical-Society. 153:S137-S153. (Mar 2008).
Clerk A; Giraldo A; Sugden PH. Chemotherapeutic agents and gene expression in cardiac myocytes. 47th International Symposium on Regulation of Enzyme Activity and Synthesis in Normal and Neoplastic Tissue. 47:140-153. (2007).
Markou T; Sugden PH; Clerk A. Regulation of protein kinase Cd (PKCd) in rat cardiomyocytes. IUBMB 50th Anniversary Symposium. 272:310-310. (Jul 2005).
Zoumpoulidou G; Kemp T; Aggeli I; Clerk A. Regulation of p21(CIP1/WAF1) mRNA and protein in cardiac myocytes. IUBMB 50th Anniversary Symposium. 272:49-49. (Jul 2005).
Giraldo A; Pikkarainen S; Sugden PH; Clerk A. Regulation of the expression of ATF3 in cardiac myocytes in response to hypertrophic and apoptotic stimulation. 19th World Congress of the ISHR, 22 Jun 2007 - 25 Jun 2007. 42:S84-S84. ACADEMIC PRESS LTD ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD (Jun 2007). DOI.
Zoumpoulidou G; Kemp T; Aggeli I; Clerk A. Regulation of p21(Cip1/Waf1) mRNA and protein in cardiac myocytes. Annual Autumn Meeting of the British-Society-for-Cardiovascular-Research, 15 Sep 2005 - 16 Sep 2005. 92. B M J PUBLISHING GROUP (Feb 2006).