Dr Izabela Wieczorek
Dr Izabela Wieczorek
Lecturer in Architecture
Studio teaching and developing the second year studio design curriculum.
- M.Sc. Arch (with honours) Wydział Architektury Politechniki Krakowskiej, Poland
- Ph.D. (Cum Laude) Escuela Técnica Superior de Arquitectura Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (ETSAM UPM), Spain
- Founding Partner and lead designer of G+W Galvez & Wieczorek arquitectura.
- Member, Spanish Architects Association in Madrid (COAM).
- Associate member of the international research platform Atmospheric Spaces: Aura, Stimmung, Ambiance.
- Associate member of the International Ambiances Network.
- Associate member of the International Association for Aesthetics.
- Referee for the scholarly peer-reviewed Journal Uppercut at Escuela Técnica Superior de Arquitectura Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (ETSAM UPM), Spain.
Areas of Interest
- Transdisciplinary research and research by design.
- Academic teaching and learning environments in higher education.
- Design methodologies and representation.
- The notion of atmosphere from architectural and philosophical perspectives.
- New technologies, supporting both design processes and teaching methodologies.
- Wieczorek, Izabela. 'Materialized Immaterialization.' In A+T 47, Interior Matters, Series SOLID Harvard GSD, edited by Aurora Fernández Per and Javier Mozas. A+t Architecture Publishers, 2017, pp. 60-65. ISBN 978-84-608-9261-8.
- Wieczorek, Izabela; Carbone, Claudia (eds.) Constructing an Archive. Yearbook 2015/2016. Aarhus: Aarhus School of Architecture, 2016, 190 pages. ISBN: 978-87-90979-57-7. Also available at: https://issuu.com/arkitektskolenaarhus/docs/yearbook-2015_16
- Wieczorek, Izabela. 'Constructing Situations or Phenomeno-praxis.' In Ambiances, demain | Ambiances, tomorrow | Ατμόσφαιρες, Αύριο Proceedings of the 3rd International Congress on Ambiances, edited by Nicolas Rémy and Nicolas Tixier. International Ambiances Network & University of Thessaly, 2016, pp. 719-724. ISBN: 978-2-9520948-6-3.
- Wieczorek, Izabela. 'Atmospheric Materiality. Towards an Aesthetic Engagement and a Phenomenological Manifestation.' In Passpartout 37, Materialitet, 2016, pp.147-163, ISSN: 0908-5351.
- Wieczorek, Izabela. 'From Atmospheric Awareness to Active Materiality.' In Practising Aesthetics, edited by Lilianna Bieszczad. Kraków: Wydawnictwo LIBRON-Filip Lohner, 2015, pp. 255-264. ISBN 978-83-65148-42-1.
- Wieczorek, Izabela. 'From Perceptual Apparatus to Immersive Field of Experience. Notes on Atmospheric Perception.' In PERCEPTION in Architecture. HERE and NOW, edited by Claudia Perren, and Miriam Mlecek. Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2015, pp. 152-162. ISBN: 1-4438-7256-3.
- Wieczorek, Izabela; Gálvez Peréz, Mª Auxiliadora, G+W Excepto 21. Cartografías activas/Active cartographies, Madrid: FUCOAM, ea! Ediciones de arquitectura, 2008, 80 pages. ISBN: 978-84-96656-52-9.
After training as an architect in Poland and Spain, I worked for a few years as both a freelance and associate architect for several architecture firms in Spain. In 2003 I co-founded an independent practice-based research laboratory , called G+W Galvez & Wieczorek arquitectura. G+W's work focuses on civic ecologies, alternative modes of inhabitation, learning environments, and performative and somatic practices. Our projects range from interior design and building design, to landscape and urban planning. G+W has been awarded prizes in national and international competitions, as well as being published and exhibited widely.
I have more than ten years experience in the development and delivery of studio teaching within undergraduate and postgraduate programmes, both in architecture and interior design. In Spain I worked at the Universidad Pontificia de Salamanca UPSAM, the Universidad Francisco de Vitoria UFV, the Instituto Europeo di Design IEDM, the Departamento de Arquitectura Universidad de Alcalá UAH (Alcalá de Henares), and more recently in Denmark at the Arkitektskolen Aarhus, where I was a teaching associate professor prior to joining the University of Reading.
My research explores relational aspects of architecture and disciplinary cross-fertilisation, particularly links between architecture, philosophy and the arts and sciences, focusing, among other aspects, on urban ecology of the senses inextricably related with the concept of atmosphere. My work shows how these areas of relationality define theoretical frameworks and practical vocabularies for architectural, critical and collaborative practice, further examining technological, societal, political and environmental concerns implicit in such relations.
- Email: i.z.wieczorek
- Telephone: 3814
- Building: L46, School of Architecture, London Road campus