Dr John Harding
Dr John Harding
Lecturer in Architecture
- Module lead: Year 3 - Construction & Technology
- Module lead: Year 2 - Design Studio
- 2017 - PGCert. Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (Distinction). Includes HEA Fellowship.
- 2015 - EngD, The University of Bath and Ramboll UK. Thesis title: 'Meta-Parametric Design'.
- 2011 - BA (Hons) Mathematics, The Open University, UK.
- 2008 - MSc Architecture: Computing and Design, University of East London, UK.
- 2002 BSc (Hons) General Architectural Studies, University of Bath, UK.
Areas of Interest
- Computational/parametric design.
- Architectural Structures.
- Machine learning/ AI in architecture.
- Evolutionary design.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 2565
- Building: L46, School of Architecture, London Road campus
I qualified as an architect in 1999. I worked professionally as architect and interior designer in London and in practices across Hampshire. My research interests include a multi-disciplinary approach to architecture at various scales, through understanding ideas of interior detail to urban concepts. I lead the Masters in Architecture Urban design studio, which has made mixed use and housing proposals for European sites in Dublin, Paris, Amsterdam, Vienna, Venice, Rotterdam, London, Dublin and also locally on regional sites.
As an architect my own completed projects range from the interior fit-out of bars and restaurants and retail design through to individual house design, school design and public spaces. I have written books across a range of subjects from Representation and drawing, Urban investigation and analysis to Materials and Interior space.
I am Chair of the South Coast Design review advising on strategic masterplanning projects regionally.
Harding, J. and Brandt-Olsen, C. (2018) Biomorpher: Interactive Evolution for Parametric Design. In: International Journal of Architectural Computing
Heinrich, M.K., Zahadat, P., Harding, K. et al. (2018) Using Interactive Evolution to Design Behaviours for Non-deterministic Self-organized Construction. In: Proceedings of the Symposium on Simulation for Architecture and Urban Design (SimAUD) 2018
Harding J., Hills, S., Brandt-Olsen, C. and Melville, S. (2017) The UWE research pavilion. In: Bögle, A. and Grohmann, M., M. ed, eds. Proceedings of the IASS Symposium 2017, Hamburg, 2017, Hamburg, Germany 25-28 September 2017.
Harding, J. and Shepherd, P. (2017) Meta-parametric design. Design Studies 52. pp. 73-95
Melville, S., Brandt-Olsen, C., and Harding, J. (2017) Calibrated modelling of form-active structures. IABSE Symposium Report 108(1) pp.155-156.
Harding, J. (2016) Evolving parametric models using genetic programming with artificial selection. In: Proceedings of the 34th eCAADe Conference, 2016, Oulu, Finland, 22-26 August 2016., pp. 423-432
Harding, J. (2016) Dimensionality reduction for parametric design exploration. In: Adriaenssens, S., Gramazio, F., Kohler, M., Menges, A., and Pauly, M. eds. (2016) Advances in Architectural Geometry 2016. Zurich, Switzerland: vdf Hochschulverlag AG an der ETH Zurich, pp. 274-287
Harding, J. Nielsen, K., Pearson, W. and Gmachl, M. (2015) Engineering Archilace. In: Proceedings of the International Association for Shell and Spatial Structures (IASS) Symposium 2015, Amsterdam, Amsterdam, Netherlands, August 17-3- 2015.
Harding, J. (2014) Meta-parametric design: Developing a computational approach for early stage collaborative practice. EngD thesis, University of Bath.
Harding, J., Joyce, S., Shepherd, P., and Williams, C. (2013) Thinking Topologically at Early Stage Parametric Design. In Hesselgren, L., Sharma, S., Wallner. J., Baldassini, N., Bompas, P. and Raynaud, J., eds (2013) Advances in Architectural Geometry 2012. Springer, pp. 67-76
2018 - present: University of Reading, UK (Lecturer in Architecture).
2015-2018: The University of the West of England (UWE), UK (Senior Lecturer in Architecture).
2013-2015: Ramboll UK, formally Whitbybird (Principle Engineer).
2013-2014: The University of Nottingham, UK (Visiting Lecturer).
2012-2013: The University of East London (UEL), UK (Visiting Lecturer).
2006-2009: Whitbybird Engineers, London, UK (Bridge Designer).
2003-2006: CPMG Architects, Nottingham, UK (Architectural Assistant).
2002-2003: Bennetts Associates Architects, London, UK (Architectural Assistant).
Building locationL46, School of Architecture, London Road campus
- Heinrich, M. , Zahadat, P. , Harding, J. , Brandt, M. (2018) Using interactive evolution to design behaviors for non-deterministic self-organized construction.
- Harding, J. and Brandt-Olsen, C. (2018) Biomorpher: interactive evolution for parametric design. International Journal of Architectural Computing , 16 (2). pp. 144-163. ISSN: 2048-3988 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1478077118778579
- Melville, S. , Brandt-Olsen, C. , Harding, J. (2017) Calibrated modelling of form-active structures. IABSE Symposium Report , 108 pp. 155-156. ISSN: 2221-3783
- Harding, J. , Hills, S. , Melville, S. , Brandt-Olsen, C. (2017) The UWE Research Pavilion 2016.
- Phillips-Jones, M. , Lithgo, R. , Dinu, V. , Gillis, R. , Harding, J. , Adams, G. , Harding, S. (2017) Full hydrodynamic reversibility of the weak dimerization of vancomycin and elucidation of its interaction with VanS monomers at clinical concentration. Scientific Reports , 7 (1). ISSN: 2045-2322 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41598-017-12620-z
- Harding, J. and Shepherd, P. (2017) Meta-parametric design. Design Studies , 52 pp. 73-95. ISSN: 0142694X | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.destud.2016.09.005