Dr Izabela Wieczorek
Dr Izabela Wieczorek
Lecturer in Architecture
Studio teaching and developing the second year studio design curriculum.
- M.Sc. Arch (with honours) Wydział Architektury Politechniki Krakowskiej, Poland
- Ph.D. (Cum Laude) Escuela Técnica Superior de Arquitectura Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (ETSAM UPM), Spain
- Founding Partner and lead designer of
- Member, Spanish Architects Association in Madrid (COAM).
- Associate member of the international research platform
- Associate member of the
- Associate member of the
- Referee for the scholarly peer-reviewed Journal Uppercut at Escuela Técnica Superior de Arquitectura Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (ETSAM UPM), Spain.
Areas of Interest
- Transdisciplinary research and research by design.
- Academic teaching and learning environments in higher education.
- Design methodologies and representation.
- The notion of atmosphere from architectural and philosophical perspectives.
- New technologies, supporting both design processes and teaching methodologies.
- Email: i.z.wieczorek
- Telephone: 3814
- Building: L46, School of Architecture, London Road campus
I qualified as an architect in 1999. I worked professionally as architect and interior designer in London and in practices across Hampshire. My research interests include a multi-disciplinary approach to architecture at various scales, through understanding ideas of interior detail to urban concepts. I lead the Masters in Architecture Urban design studio, which has made mixed use and housing proposals for European sites in Dublin, Paris, Amsterdam, Vienna, Venice, Rotterdam, London, Dublin and also locally on regional sites.
As an architect my own completed projects range from the interior fit-out of bars and restaurants and retail design through to individual house design, school design and public spaces. I have written books across a range of subjects from Representation and drawing, Urban investigation and analysis to Materials and Interior space.
I am Chair of the South Coast Design review advising on strategic masterplanning projects regionally.
- Wieczorek, Izabela. 'Materialized Immaterialization.' In A+T 47, Interior Matters, Series SOLID Harvard GSD, edited by Aurora Fernández Per and Javier Mozas. A+t Architecture Publishers, 2017, pp. 60-65. ISBN 978-84-608-9261-8.
- Wieczorek, Izabela; Carbone, Claudia (eds.) Constructing an Archive. Yearbook 2015/2016. Aarhus: Aarhus School of Architecture, 2016, 190 pages. ISBN: 978-87-90979-57-7. Also available at: https://issuu.com/arkitektskolenaarhus/docs/yearbook-2015_16
- Wieczorek, Izabela. 'Constructing Situations or Phenomeno-praxis.' In Ambiances, demain | Ambiances, tomorrow | Ατμόσφαιρες, Αύριο Proceedings of the 3rd International Congress on Ambiances, edited by Nicolas Rémy and Nicolas Tixier. International Ambiances Network & University of Thessaly, 2016, pp. 719-724. ISBN: 978-2-9520948-6-3.
- Wieczorek, Izabela. 'Atmospheric Materiality. Towards an Aesthetic Engagement and a Phenomenological Manifestation.' In Passpartout 37, Materialitet, 2016, pp.147-163, ISSN: 0908-5351.
- Wieczorek, Izabela. 'From Atmospheric Awareness to Active Materiality.' In Practising Aesthetics, edited by Lilianna Bieszczad. Kraków: Wydawnictwo LIBRON-Filip Lohner, 2015, pp. 255-264. ISBN 978-83-65148-42-1.
- Wieczorek, Izabela. 'From Perceptual Apparatus to Immersive Field of Experience. Notes on Atmospheric Perception.' In PERCEPTION in Architecture. HERE and NOW, edited by Claudia Perren, and Miriam Mlecek. Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2015, pp. 152-162. ISBN: 1-4438-7256-3.
- Wieczorek, Izabela; Gálvez Peréz, Mª Auxiliadora, G+W Excepto 21. Cartografías activas/Active cartographies, Madrid: FUCOAM, ea! Ediciones de arquitectura, 2008, 80 pages. ISBN: 978-84-96656-52-9.
After training as an architect in Poland and Spain, I worked for a few years as both a freelance and associate architect for several architecture firms in Spain. In 2003 I co-founded an independent practice-based research laboratory , called
I have more than ten years experience in the development and delivery of studio teaching within undergraduate and postgraduate programmes, both in architecture and interior design. In Spain I worked at the Universidad Pontificia de Salamanca UPSAM, the Universidad Francisco de Vitoria UFV, the Instituto Europeo di Design IEDM, the Departamento de Arquitectura Universidad de Alcalá UAH (Alcalá de Henares), and more recently in Denmark at the Arkitektskolen Aarhus, where I was a teaching associate professor prior to joining the University of Reading.
My research explores relational aspects of architecture and disciplinary cross-fertilisation, particularly links between architecture, philosophy and the arts and sciences, focusing, among other aspects, on urban ecology of the senses inextricably related with the concept of atmosphere. My work shows how these areas of relationality define theoretical frameworks and practical vocabularies for architectural, critical and collaborative practice, further examining technological, societal, political and environmental concerns implicit in such relations.
Building locationL46, School of Architecture, London Road campus
- Wieczorek, I. , Usman, H. , Percs, M. (2020) The cabinet of [atmospheric]curiosities. A journey in search of the origins of atmospheric practice. The Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts, Schools of Architecture, Design and Conservation (KADK)
- Wieczorek, I. (2019) Atmosphères en formation : seuils affectifs, champs immersifs et limites actives [atmospheres in formation: affective thresholds, immersive fields, and active boundaries]. L’usage des ambiances. Éditions Hermann , France.
- Wieczorek, I. (2019) Dispositivos atmosféricos, tecnologías de la inmersión y acumulaciones de espumas, o las paradojas de la burbuja (Atmospheric devices, technologies of immersion and foam accumulations, or the bubble paradox). José Miguel de Prada Poole. La arquitectura perecedera de las pompas de jabón. Recolectores Urbanos Editorial , Málaga, Spain. pp. 59-64. ISBN: 9788494966316
- Izabela, W. (2018) Active materiality. The agency of matter from the phenomenological perspective. ISBN: 9788409017485 (Collective Exhibition)
- Gálvez Pérez, M. and Wieczorek, I. (2017) Kindergarten 'El Caracol' and Kindergarten 'La Corita'.
- Wieczorek, I. (2017) Materialized immaterialization. Interior Matters (47). pp. 60-65. ISSN: 1132-6409 (SOLID Harvard GSD series)
- Izabela, W. (2016) Atmospheric materiality. Towards an aesthetic engagement and a phenomenological manifestation. Passepartout, Materialitet , 20 årg (37). pp. 147-163. ISSN: 0908-5351
- Wieczorek, I. (2016) Constructing situations or phenomeno-praxis. pp. 719-724.