Areas of interest
- Experimental economics, particularly studying decision making within groups
- Agricultural commodity markets and food security
Research projectsThe project I am currently working on explores decision-making within groups and its application to environmental valuation. My doctoral research focused on price formation on agricultural commodity markets, particularly on the role of financial markets and of stockholding in grains price formation.
BackgroundI previously worked as a statistician and economist for the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) where my work areas included the economic accounts for agriculture, the Expenditure and Food Survey, agricultural policy impact assessments, the assessment of agricultural market impacts of biofuel policies and the UK food security assessment.
Academic qualificationsDiplom Romanistik (Wirtschaftswissenschaften), Justus-Liebig- Universität, Gießen, Germany
BSc in Technology, Open University, UK
MSc in Economics, University of York, UK
MSc in Official Statistics, University of Southampton, UK
PhD in Economics and Management, Università degli Studi di Trento, Italy
- Pfuderer, S. , Bennett, R. , Brown, A. , Collins, L. (2022) A flexible tool for the assessment of the economic cost of pig disease in growers and finishers at farm level. Preventive Veterinary Medicine , 208 ISSN: 0167-5877 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.prevetmed.2022.105757
- Bardsley, N. , Ceddia, M. , McCloy, R. , Pfuderer, S. (2021) Why economic valuation does not value the environment: climate policy as collective endeavour. Environmental Values ISSN: 1752-7015 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3197/096327121X16081160834740
- Bennett, R. and Pfuderer, S. (2020) The potential for new donkey farming systems to supply the growing demand for hides. Animals , 10 (4). ISSN: 2076-2615 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3390/ani10040718
- Cicognani, S. , D'Ambrosio, A. , Güth, W. , Pfuderer, S. , Ploner, M. (2015) Community projects: an experimental analysis of a fair implementation process. Social Choice and Welfare , 44 (1). pp. 109-132. ISSN: 1432-217X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00355-014-0822-y
- Gilbert, C. and Pfuderer, S. (2014) The financialization of food commodity markets. In: Jha, R. , Gaiha, R. , Deolalikar, A. , (eds.) Handbook on food: Demand supply, sustainability and security. Edward Elgar Publishing , Cheltenham, UK. pp. 122-148. ISBN: 9781781004289
- Gilbert, C. and Pfuderer, S. (2014) The role of index trading in price formation in the grains and oilseeds markets. Journal of Agricultural Economics , 65 (2). pp. 303-322. ISSN: 1477-9552 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/1477-9552.12068
- Higgins, N. , Jones, C. , Munday, M. , Balmforth, H. , Holmes, W. , Pfuderer, S. , Mountford, L. , Harvey, M. , Charnock, T. (2008) COCO-2: a model to assess the economic impact of an accident. Health Protection Agency ISBN: 978-0-85951-628-0
- Karlsson, J. , Kingombe, C. , Pfuderer, S. , Naman, K. (2007) Inventory of national approaches to rural development statistics. 9789211169676. United Nations , New York and Geneva. pp. 69-99.