Object number
2007/10
Collection
Exhibition
Creator
Description
This is a hinged metal box, made by Huntley and used for carrying seed at Suttons Seeds Ltd. It has a paper label which reads ‘Suttons’ Vegetable Seeds’ and the top and insides of the box are covered with contemporary transfer prints relating to Suttons Seeds. The box is part of a large collection of objects relating to Suttons Seeds Ltd., as well as other rural artefacts, compiled by John Cox, who worked at Suttons from 1931 to 1976, starting as an office boy and finishing as Company Secretary.
Physical description
1 box with hinged lid: metal
Label Text
Seed tin. Suttons Seeds Ltd. was founded in 1806 by John Sutton (1777-1863) and traded as a corn merchant. It was known as the 'House of Sutton' and had premises on King Street, Reading. John's two sons joined the business in 1832 and in 1836 it was renamed 'Sutton & Son'. In 1837 the company moved to the Market Place, Reading, and expanded into seeds and acquired nursery grounds in Queens Road, Reading. In 1840 they established a testing laboratory and in 1873 new buildings replaced those in Market Place. These included various offices, separate storerooms for different types of seeds and bulbs, recreation rooms, residences and a fire station. In 1962 Suttons moved to new grounds and premises on the eastern outskirts of Reading, before moving to Torquay, Devon, in 1976 and then Paignton, Devon, in 1998. The MERL holds records for the company, plus over 100 objects made by Suttons including sacks, signs and seeds.
Archival history
MERL miscellaneous note, Greta Bertram, 2 August 2012 – Suttons Seeds Ltd. was founded in 1806 by John Sutton (1777–1863) and traded as a corn merchant. It was known as the ‘House of Sutton’ and had premises on King Street, Reading. John’s two sons joined the business in 1832 and in 1836 it was renamed ‘Sutton & Son’. In 1837 the company moved to the Market Place, Reading, and expanded into seeds and acquired nursery grounds in Queens Road, Reading. In 1840 they established a testing laboratory and in 1873 new buildings replaced those in Market Place. These included various offices, separate store rooms for different types of seeds and bulbs, recreation rooms, residences and a fire station. In 1962 Suttons moved to new grounds and premises on the eastern outskirts of Reading, before moving to Torquay, Devon, in 1976 and then Paington, Devon, in 1998.
Object name
Material
Associated subject