Collections and archives
The University's Lettering, Printing and Graphic Design Collections are housed in and maintained by Typography. These include the Maurice Rickards collection of ephemera; the Otto and Marie Neurath Isotype collection; the Hans Schmoller and Mycroft collections of type specimens; the Edward Wright collection; the Soulby collection of printed ephemera from the 1820s; and the Non-Latin Type Collection.
The importance of these collections was recognized by AHRB in 2001 with a grant from the Project Fund for Higher Education Museums, Galleries and Collections, and by HEFCE's CETL scheme in which Typography is a partner in Reading's Applied Undergraduate Research Skills Centre.
This initiative has provided funding to enhance access to and use of these collections for research and teaching.
Recent acquisitions include:
- archival papers arising from the 'Optimism of modernity' research project;
- the Non-Latin Type Collection
- the Association Typographique Internationale publications archives
- the Banks and Miles graphic design archives
- the Elizabeth Greig collection of 20th century ephemera