Staff Profile:Mr Eric Kindel
- Professor Eric Kindel
- Job Title:
- Head of Department
In addition to my role as Head of Department, I teach studio-based design practice and lecture on topics across the undergraduate programme, supervise BA and MA dissertations, and supervise research students. I also serve as curator of the Otto and Marie Neurath Isotype Collection.
I am a member of the Arts & Humanities Research Council Peer Review College.
- Areas of Interest:
My research takes in several areas of interest: the graphic design of information, with an emphasis on aspects of Isotype; informal and alternative print methods, with a specialism in the history of stencils and stencilling; and the inventive intersection of design and print production.
Graphic information. Between 2007 and 2011 I served as Principal Investigator for the AHRC-funded project 'Isotype revisited' (together with Co-Investigator Prof. Sue Walker). The project's main outcomes included Otto Neurath's From hieroglyphics to Isotype: a visual autobiography (Hyphen Press, 2010), the exhibition 'Isotype: international picture language' (V&A, 2010-11), and the multi-authored Isotype: design and contexts, 1925-1971 (Hyphen Press, 2013). During the project my own research focused on Isotype activities in British colonial West Africa. This research is summarised in 'Isotype in Africa: Gold Coast, Sierra Leone, and the Western Region of Nigeria, 1952-8', a chapter in Isotype: design and contexts.
Research in this area is presently focused on Isotype contributions to British publishing in the context of postwar reconstruction and economic development, with an emphasis on 'Future Books' and Future magazine (1946-52). The research encompasses a comparative study of graphic information made by leading designers for other mid-century periodicals, most notably Fortune magazine in the USA.
Stencils and stencilling. Research into the history of stencils and stencilling as used principally for lettering and marking out texts has been in progress since 1999 and is wide-ranging. My aim is to establish a reliable account of such work across a wide expanse of time, context and location. I regularly publish investigations into individual episodes of stencil work that will eventually form a summary history. The research has extended to collecting artefacts and reconstructing techniques to support historical and physical interpretation. Aspects of the research have been funded by the Arts & Humanities Research Council, American Philosophical Society, Printing Historical Society and University of Reading's Research Endowment Trust Fund, and has involved long-term collaborations with Prof. James Mosley and Prof. Fred Smeijers.
Research in this area is presently focused on two topics: the development of stencil making in Europe in the 17th and 18th centuries, highlighting the work of Jean Gabriel Bery, a maker active in Paris in the 1780s; and the emergence of the stencilled poster in France in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. For a presentation on early stencil makers in Europe, see here.
- Research groups / Centres:
YNumber of items: 26.
- Kindel, E. (2016) Future, Fortune, and the graphic design of information. In: Black, A., Luna, P., Lund, O. and Walker, S. (eds.) Information Design: Research and Practice. Routledge, pp. 127-146. ISBN 9781472430700 (In Press)
- Kindel, E. (2014) Stencil dies: new tools for an old trade. In: Blume, J., Pané-Farré, P. and Smeijers, F. (eds.) Vom Buch auf die Strasse: Grosse Schrift im öffenlichen Raum (Journal der HGB #3). Hochschule für Grafik und Buchkunst, Leipzig, pp. 41-61, 127–145 (colour images); 193–210 (English text).
- Kindel, E. (2013) The description of stencilling by Gilles Filleau des Billettes: transcription and translation. In: Kindel, E. and Luna, P. (eds.) Typography papers 9. Hyphen Press, London, pp. 66-86. ISBN 9780907259480
- Kindel, E. and Luna, P., eds. (2013) Typography papers, 9. Hyphen Press, London. ISBN 9780907259480
- Kindel, E. (2013) A tradition with breaks. Eye Magazine, 22 (86). pp. 38-55. ISSN 0960-779X
- Kindel, E. (2013) A reconstruction of stencilling based on the description by Gilles Filleau des Billettes. In: Kindel, E. and Luna, P. (eds.) Typography papers 9. Hyphen Press, London, pp. 28-65. ISBN 9780907259480
- Kindel, E. (2013) Isotype in Africa, 1952–58. In: Burke, C., Kindel, E. and Walker, S. (eds.) Isotype: design and contexts, 1925–1971. Hyphen Press, London. ISBN 9780907259473
- Burke, C., Kindel, E. and Walker, S., eds. (2013) Isotype: design and contexts 1925–1971. Hyphen Press, London, pp554. ISBN 9780907259473
- Kindel, E., ed. (2012) Typeform dialogues. Hyphen Press, London, pp48. ISBN 9780907259152
- Kindel, E. (2012) User's manual. In: Kindel, E. (ed.) Typeform dialogues. Hyphen Press, London, pp. 5-36, 48 p.. ISBN 9780907259152
- Kindel, E. and Smeijers, F. (2012) Between writing and type: the stencil letter. [Show/Exhibition]
- Kindel, E. (2011) Reaching the people: Isotype beyond the West. In: Heinrich, R., Nemeth, E., Pichler, W. and Wagner, D. (eds.) Image and Imaging in Philosophy, Science and the Arts. Publications of the Austrian Ludwig Wittgenstein Society, new series, vol. 17, 2 (17). Ontos Verlag, Frankfurt, Paris, Lancaster, New Brunswick, pp. 175-193. ISBN 9783868381160
- Kindel, E. (2010) Fit to be seen: stencils for architects, engineers and surveyors. AA Files, 61. pp. 100-109. ISSN 0261-6823
- Kindel, E. and Walker, S. (2010) Isotype revisited. Il progetto sugli aspetti meno conosciuti di Isotype. Progetto grafico, 18. pp. 48-57. ISSN 1824-1301
- Burke, C., Kindel, E. and Walker, S. (2010) Isotype: international picture language. [Show/Exhibition]
- Kindel, E. (2009) Delight of men and gods: Christiaan Huygens's new method of printing. Journal of the Printing Historical Society, 14 (new se. pp. 5-40.
- Kindel, E. (2007) The 'Plaque Decoupee Universelle': a geometric sanserif in 1870s Paris. In: Typography Papers 7. Hyphen Press, pp. 71-80. ISBN 9780907259336
- Kindel, E. (2006) Cheap Jack Flash. Eye, 60. pp. 46-51.
- Kindel, E. (2006) Patents progress: the Adjustable Stencil. Journal of the Printing Historical Society, 9 (new ser. pp. 65-92.
- Kindel, E. (2003) Hoofdletters, tweeling- en meerlingdruk. Eye, 47. pp. 30-37. ISSN 0950-222X
- Kindel, E. (2003) Recollecting stencil letters. In: Typography Papers 5. University of Reading, Reading, pp. 65-101.
- Kindel, E. (2002) Stencil work in America, 1850–1900. Baseline (38). pp. 5-12. ISSN 0954-9226
- Kindel, E. (2002) When 1+1=3. Eye Magazine, 11 (43). pp. 36-45. ISSN 0960-779X