Staff Profile:Dr Mary Dyson
- Dr Mary Dyson
- Job Title:
- Sessional Lecturer
Programme Director MA by Research in Typography & Graphic Communication, School and Department Director of Research, Department Director of Postgraduate Studies.
- Areas of Interest:
Mary Dyson has a background in psychology which has influenced her work within typography and graphic communication in a number of ways. Appointed to teach and research within an area once known as Electronic Publishing, she has focused on users and their interactions with documents, not the technology. One of her primary research interests is empirical investigations of how changes in the design of documents affect performance. In particular, Mary has done experiments with screen-based material and published work on reading and interacting on screen alongside reviews of other research in this area.
More recently, Mary has drawn on her PhD in perception and started looking at the perception of typefaces by typography students, in comparison to non-designers. This explores a specific perceptual phenomenon called categorical perception. She is currently writing and researching into how typefaces are processed when reading.
Mary continues to enjoy supervising research students on topics relating to her own research, but also more broadly within the field. This work is presented at conferences and articles submitted to journals for publication.
- Research groups / Centres:
YNumber of items: 28.
- Dyson, M. C. and Beier, S. (2016) Investigating typographic differentiation: italics are more subtle than bold for emphasis. Information Design Journal, 22 (1). pp. 3-18. ISSN 0142-5471 doi: 10.175/idj.22.1.02dys
- Dyson, M. C. and Suen, C. Y., eds. (2016) Digital fonts and reading. Series on Language Processing, Pattern Recognition, and Intelligent Systems: Volume 1. World Scientific. ISBN 9789814759533
- Dyson, M. C., Tam, K., Leake, C. and Kwok, B. (2016) How does expertise contribute to the recognition of Latin and Chinese characters? In: Dyson, M. C. and Suen, C. Y. (eds.) Digital fonts and reading. World Scientific , Singapore, pp. 193-208. ISBN 9789814759533
- Dyson, M. C. (2014) Applying psychological theory to typography: is how we perceive letterforms special? In: Machin, D. (ed.) Visual communication. Handbooks of communication science (4). De Gruyter Mouton, Berlin, pp. 215-242. ISBN 9783110255492
- Beier, S. and Dyson, M. C. (2014) The influence of serifs on 'h' and 'i': useful knowledge from design-led scientific research. Visible Language, 47 (3). pp. 74-95. ISSN 0022-2224
- Dyson, M. C. and Jennings, E. M. (2014) Examining the interfaces to e-journal articles: what do users expect? In: DUXU 2014, June 2014, Creta Maris, Heraklion, Crete, Greece, pp. 164-173.
- Dyson, M. C. (2013) Where theory meets practice: a critical comparison of research into identifying letters and craft knowledge of type design. Design Journal, 16 (3). pp. 271-294. ISSN 1460-6925 doi: 10.2752/175630613X13660502571741
- Sioki, N. and Dyson, M. C. (2012) Serving the reader : typography and layout in early Greek alphabet books (1771-1830). In: Proot, G. (ed.) Jaarboek voor Nederlandse Boekgeschiedenis. Dutch Book Historical Society, Den Haag, pp. 101-116. ISBN 9789460040948
- Dyson, M. and Stott, C. (2012) Characterizing typographic expertise: do we process typefaces like faces? Visual Cognition, 20 (9). pp. 1082-1094. ISSN 1464-0716 doi: 10.1080/13506285.2012.722568
- Sanocki, T. and Dyson, M. C. (2012) Letter processing and font information during reading: beyond distinctiveness, where vision meets design. Attention, Perception, & Psychophysics, 74 (1). pp. 132-145. ISSN 1943-3921 doi: 10.3758/s13414-011-0220-9
- Dyson, M. C. (2011) Do designers show categorical perception of typefaces? Visible Language, 45.3 (15.3). pp. 193-220. ISSN 0022-2224
- Thiessen, M. and Dyson, M. C. (2010) 'Clearer and better’: preferences of children with reading difficulties for the typography and illustration in literacy materials. The International Journal of Learning, 16 (12). pp. 365-384. ISSN 1447-9494
- Fadel, L. M. and Dyson, M. C. (2010) Interface design for social interaction in e-learning environments. In: Tzanavari, A. and Tsapatsoulis, N. (eds.) Affective, interactive and cognitive methods for e-learning design: creating an optimal education experience. IGI Global, pp. 72-93. ISBN 9781605669403 doi: 10.4018/978-1-60566-940-3.ch004
- Thiessen, M. and Dyson, M. C. (2009) Typography for children with reading difficulties: preferences for type in reading books. International Journal of the Book, 6 (2). pp. 115-122. ISSN 1447-9516
- de Souza, J. M. B. and Dyson, M. (2008) Are animated demonstrations the clearest and most comfortable way to communicate on-screen instructions? Information Design Journal, 16 (2). pp. 107-124. ISSN 0142-5471 doi: 10.1075/idj.16.2.03bez
- Fadel, L. M. and Dyson, M. C. (2007) Enhancing interactivity in an online learning environment. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 4663. pp. 332-344. ISSN 0302-9743 doi: 10.1007/978-3-540-74800-7_27
- Lonsdale, M. d. S., Dyson, M. C. and Reynolds, L. (2006) Reading in examination-type situations: the effects of text layout on performance. Journal of Research in Reading, 29 (4). pp. 433-453. ISSN 1467-9817 doi: 10.1111/j.1467-9817.2006.00317.x
- Fadel, L. M. and Dyson, M. C. (2006) Comparing a text- and visual-based interface presenting social information in an online environment. In: Visual Languages and Human-Centric Computing, 2006. VL/HCC 2006. IEEE Symposium o, 4-8 September 2006, Brighton, UK, pp. 143-146. doi: 10.1109/VLHCC.2006.15
- Dyson, M., Lonsdale, M. and Papaefthimiou, M. (2006) Student perspectives on a virtual learning environment: lessons for einstructors. Blended learning: promoting dialogue in innovation and practice. pp. 137-144.
- Fadel, L. and Dyson, M. C. (2006) The effect of interface design on the enhancement of social presence in online courses. In: ICL2006, 27-29 September 2006, Villach, Austria.
- Dyson, M. C. (2005) How do we read text on screen. In: Oostendorp, H. V., Breure, L. and Dillon, A. (eds.) Creation, use and deployment of digital information. Routledge, London, pp. 279-306. ISBN 9780805845877
- Simão, M. F. F., Dyson, M. C. and Assunção, M. (2004) Enhancing social interaction in an online educational environment. In: IV Congresso Brasileiro de Computação, 2004, Itajaí, Santa Catarina, Brasil.
- Dyson, M. C. (2004) How physical text layout affects reading from screen. Behaviour and Information Technology, 23 (6). pp. 377-393. ISSN 1362-3001 doi: 10.1080/01449290410001715714
- Souto, V. T. and Dyson, M. C. (2004) Location of the table of contents in web documents: same screen or separate screen. In: IADIS International Conference WWW/Internet, 6-9 October 2004, Madrid, Spain.
- Dyson, M. and Campello, S. B. (2003) Evaluating virtual learning environments: what are we measuring? Electronic Journal of eLearning, 1 (1). pp. 11-20. ISSN 1479-4403
- Dyson, M. C. (2003) Developing, exploring and evaluating tools and resources. Digital Creativity, 14 (4). pp. 193-194. ISSN 1744-3806 doi: 10.1076/digc.18.104.22.168878
- Dyson, M. C. (2003) Digital creativity. Taylor and Francis.
- Dyson, M. C. (2003) Readers' navigation of electronic documents: how do we find our way around the research? In: 1st Information Design International Conference, 2003, Recife, Brazil.
Dyson, M.C. (2013) Does typography work? Ways of researching. Typography Day 2013, 7-9 March 2013, IIT Guwahati, India
Dyson, M.C. (2012) Exploring the contribution of information design to effective e-learning.International Conference of the Taiwan Association for Educational Communications and Technology held at National Chiayi University, Taiwan, 30 November -1 December 2012.
Other recent conference presentations
These have explored the perception of typefaces by designers, and also looked at how readers more generally make use of typefaces in reading.
Dyson, M.C. and Beier, S. (2013) Let's talk about it. What is the way forward for typographic research? ATyPI conference, Amsterdam, 9-13 October 2013
Dyson, M.C. and Beier, S. (2013) What can we learn from the disputes between designers and scientists? The fruits of collaboration. 5th International Conference on Typography and Visual Communication, Nicosia, Cyprus, 6-8 June 2013
Dyson, M.C., Tam, K., Kwok, B. (2012) Reading expertise: what does it have to do with typefaces? Between black and white, ATyPI conference, Hong Kong, 10-14 October 2012
Suen, C. Y., Dumont, N., Dyson, M., Tai, Y.-C., Lu, X. Evaluation of Fonts for Digital Publication and Display. 11th International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition (ICDAR), Beijing, China, 18-21 September 2011.