Staff Profile:Dr Fiona Ross
- Dr Fiona Ross
- Job Title:
- Associate Professor
Lecturer in non-Latin typeface design on MA Typeface Design programme; Lecturer in research methodology and academic writing skills for postgraduates; supervision of PhD students and KTP students.
Curator of the Non-Latin Type Collection including its maintenance as a growing resource for researchers and students, including the digital capture of original artefacts and the development of digital databases to form on-line resources.
- Areas of Interest:
Fiona has a background in languages and from 1978 to 1989 worked for Linotype Limited (UK) and was responsible for the design of Linotype's non-Latin fonts and typesetting schemes. Since 1989 she has worked as a consultant, type designer, art director, and lecturer, and in 2003 joined the Department of Typography & Graphic Communication at the University of Reading.
Her recent work as type designer has been in collaboration with Tim Holloway and John Hudson (as Associate Designer of Tiro Typeworks), notably on Adobe Arabic (TDC award 2006), Adobe Thai, Vodafone Hindi (TDC award 2008) and Adobe Devanagari (2009), Nirmala UI Devanagari (2011), Aldhabi (Perso-Arabic script, 2012) and Sarkar (Bengali script, 2012).
In addition to presenting conference papers and running workshops, Ross has co-curated six international exhibitions, written and contributed to books and numerous articles; her work and research is focused on (1) non-Latin typeface design: theory, history, practice; (2) design approaches to multi-script typeface design; (3) the relationship of tools and typefounding methods to the visible appearance of non-Latin typeforms.
- Research groups / Centres:
YNumber of items: 19.
- Ross, F. (2015) The Murty Classical Library of India – a collaborative design project for Harvard University Press. In: Kudrnovska, L. (ed.) 365 Typo. Étapes, Paris, pp. 258-259. ISBN 9791095254003
- Ross, F. (2013) Digital typeface design and font development for twenty-first century Bangla language processing. In: Karim, M. A., Kaykobad, M. and Murshed, M. (eds.) Technical Challenges and Design Issues in Bangla Language Processing. IGI Global, Pennsylvania U.S.A., pp. 1-15. doi: 10.4018/978-1-4666-3970-6.ch001
- Ross, F., Luna, P., Shaw, G. and Berry, J. (2012) Non-Latin scripts: from metal to digital type. St Bride Library, London, UK, pp160. ISBN 9780950416182
- Ross, F. (2012) Non-Latin scripts: key issues in type design. In: Ross, F. and Singh, V. (eds.) Non-Latin scripts: from metal to digital type. St Bride Library, London, UK, pp. 125-153.
- Ross, F., Holloway, T., Kshetrimayum, N. and Hudson, J. (2012) Sarkar Bengali typeface. Anandabazar Patrika, Kolkata, India.
- Ross, F. (2010) Indian type. In: Suarez, S.J., M. F. and Woudhuysen, H. R. (eds.) The Oxford Companion to the Book. Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780198606536 doi: 10.1093/acref/9780198606536.001.0001
- Ross, F. G., Holloway, T. and Hudson, J. (2009) Adobe Devanagari typeface. Adobe Inc, USA.
- Ross, F. (2009) The printed Bengali character and its evolution. Shishu Sahitya Samsad, Kolkata, India, pp251. ISBN 9788179551849
- Ross, F. (2008) The Linotype Non-Latin Collection, University of Reading. In: Banham, R. and Ross, F. (eds.) Non-Latin typefaces: at St Bride Library, London and Department of Typography & Graphic Communication, University of Reading. St Bride Library, London, UK, pp. 32-62.
- Banham, R. and Ross, F. (2008) Non-Latin typefaces at St Bride Library, London and Department of Typography & Graphic Communication, University of Reading. St Bride Library, London, pp64. ISBN 0950416150
- Ross, F. (2005) Beyond Latin: a glimpse into the subject of Arabic and Indic lettershapes and digital typeforms. Circular, 13.
- Ross, F. and Shaw, G. (2003) An unexpected legacy and its contribution to early Indian typography. In: Randle, J. and Berry, J. (eds.) Type and typography: highlights from Matrix. Mark Batty Publisher, New Jersey, pp. 169-181. ISBN 9780971568761
- Ross, F. (2002) Non-Latin typesetting in the digital age. In: Sassoon, R. (ed.) Computers and Typography. Intellect Books, Bristol, UK, pp. 42-53. ISBN 1-84150-049-6
- Ross, F. (2002) An approach to non-Latin type design. In: Berry, J.D. (ed.) Language, culture, type: international type design in the age of unicode. ATypI, New York, NY, pp. 67-75. ISBN 9781932026016
- Ross, F. (1999) The Printed Bengali character and its evolution. Curzon Press, Richmond, pp244. ISBN 0-7007-1135 X (First edition)
- Ross, F. (1989) From metal type to digital letterforms – a straightforward transition for Indian scripts? Matrix (9). pp. 129-136.
Ross, Fiona and Singh, Vaibhav (eds) Non-Latin scripts: from hot-metal to digital type. London: St Bride Library (2012) 160 pages
Ross, F. 'Digital typeface design and font development for twenty-first century Bangla language processing', in Karim, M.A., Kaykobad, M. and Murshed, M. (eds) Pennsylvania: Information Science Reference (an imprint of IGI Global: http://www.igi-global.com/chapter/digital-typeface-design-font-development/78468 ) (2013) pp. 1-15
Ross, F. 'Non-Latin scripts: key issues in type design' in Ross, Fiona and Singh, Vaibhav (eds.) Non-Latin scripts: from hot-metal to digital type. London: St Bride Library (2012) pp. 125-153
Ross, F. 'The Linotype Non-Latin Collection, University of Reading', in Banham, R. and Ross, F. (eds) Non-Latin typefaces: at St Bride Library, London and Department of Typography & Graphic Communication, University of Reading, London: St Bride Library (2008) pp. 32-62
Ross, F. and Shaw, G. 'An unexpected legacy and its contribution to early Indian typography'. Matrix, 7 (Winter, 1987); reprinted (with revisions) in Type and typography: highlights from Matrix, New Jersey: Mark Batty Publisher (2003) pp. 169-181
Ross, F. 'An approach to non-Latin type design' in Berry, J. (ed), Language Culture Type, New York: Association Typographique Internationale (2002) pp. 65-75
Ross, F. 'Non-Latin typesetting in the digital age' in Computers and Typography 2, compiled by Rosemary Sassoon, Bristol: Intellect Books (2002) pp. 42-53
Ross, F. 'Collaborative typeface design: Adobe Devanagari', in Briem, Gunnlauger , SE. (ed), The Briem Report: Letterforms 2012 (E-book publication: http://operina.com/) (2012) p. 175
Ross, F. The Oxford companion to the book, headword entry for 'Indian type' Oxford University Press, volume 2 (2010) p. 817t
Ross. F. 'Tamil PHS project: a brief report', Printing History News, Number 26, Birmingham: National Printing Heritage Trust, Printing Historical Society & the Friends of St Bride Library, (2010) p. 3
Certificate in Sanskrit, University of Tubingen; German BA Hons, University of Kent at Canterbury; Postgraduate Diploma Sanskrit with Pali, School of Oriental and African Studies;
PhD Indian Palaeography, SOAS.
Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts