Students who study abroad as part of their degree programme can be covered by the University of Reading's Insurance policy for the duration of their study period. This coverage is for legitimate academic activity only; for non-academic activity you will need to get extra additional insurance.

See (under 'Business travel' section) for more information. Reading will provide students with comprehensive details of the Insurance coverage prior to departure.

Insurance outside of Europe

Many universities insist that students purchase their mandatory insurance coverage in order to join their Study Abroad Programme. Make sure you are fully aware of any possible insurance related charges when considering possible destinations. This is certainly applicable for most partnerships in Australia, Canada, Republic of Korea, Taiwan and the USA.

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

For EU citizens studying in Europe health cover can be provided by the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). The EHIC card can provide you with access to reduced-cost, sometimes free, medical treatment that becomes necessary during a period living in most European countries.

Further information can be accessed from: EHIC Guidance (Studying Abroad). We advise that you read carefully the information carefully to ensure that you are covered, as students will need a different EHIC card compared to if visiting Europe on holiday.

Things to do now

Contact us

Follow us

Page navigation


Search Form

A-Z lists