Staff Profile:Mr Richard Sherwood
- Mr Richard Sherwood
- Job Title:
- Areas of Interest:
- Research groups / Centres:
Richard has been working at the University since 1990 in the Infrared Multilayer Laboratory at the School of Systems Engineering. During his time at the Laboratory he has worked on many international space and astronomy projects and been co-author of a number of journal publications.
His primary role in the laboratory is to be responsible for all quality assurance activities, including spectral and environmental testing, overseeing the QA system as well as various health and safety activities. He is also responsible for a number of administrative duties including purchasing and project budgeting.
Richard also works as the School of Systems Engineering website administrator. He is responsible for maintaining all the pages on the SSE website as well as administering the SSE Facebook page.
Richard Sherwood has been presented with an award from the European Space Research and Technology Centre (ESTEC) for his extraordinary contributions to the Mid-Infrared Instrument (MIRI) on the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) Observatory. The James Webb Space Telescope Significant Achievement Award award is in recognition of their extraordinary contribution to the JWST mission.
During my time working in the Infrared Multilayer Laboratory, I have worked on many international space and astronomy projects - a selection of which are listed below.
- Gimballed Limb Observer for Radiance Imaging of the Atmosphere (GLORIA)
- UKSA TechDemoSat-1 Compact Modular Sounder (CMS)
- EUMETSAT Infrared Atmospheric Sounding Interferometer - Next Generation
- ESA Exoplanet Characterisation Observatory (EChO)
- ESO VLT Imager and Spectrometer for mid Infrared (VISIR) Upgrade
- NASA/DLR Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy (SOFIA)
- NASA/ESA ExoMars Climate Sounder (EMCS) Development Study
- ESA Living Planet EarthCARE Multi-Spectral Imager (MSI)
- ESA Copernicus Sea and Land Surface Temperature Radiometer (SLSTR)
- NASA Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO)
- NASA/ESA JWST Mid-Infrared Instrument (MIRI)
- ISRO SAC Indian National Satellite (INSAT-3D) Radiometer
- NASA Mars Climate Sounder (MCS)
- ESO VISIR Astronomical Filter Consortium
- GTC CanariCam Imaging Spectrograph Filters
- UKIRT/Gemini Michelle, Mid-Infrared Spectrometer and Imager
- ISRO INSAT-2 Very High Resolution Radiometer (VHRR)
- ESA ENVISAT Advanced Along Track Scanning Radiometer (AATSR)
- NASA CASSINI Composite Infrared Spectrometer (CIRS)
- NASA EOS-AURA High Resolution Dynamics Limb Sounder (HIRDLS)
Hawkins, G., Woods, D., Sherwood, R. and Djotni, K. (2014) Infrared optical coatings for the EarthCARE Multispectral Imager. Applied Optics, 53 (30). pp. 6983-6992. ISSN 0003-6935 doi: 10.1364/AO.53.006983
Hawkins, G., Sherwood, R., Djotni, K., Coppo, P. M., Höhnemann, H. and Belli, F. (2013) Cooled infrared filters and dichroics for the sea and land surface temperature radiometer (SLSTR). Applied Optics Journal, 52 (10). pp. 2125-2135. ISSN 2155-3165 doi: 10.1364/AO.52.002125
Hawkins, G. and Sherwood, R. E. (2008) Cooled infrared filters and dichroics for the James Webb Space Telescope Mid-Infrared Instrument. Applied Optics, 47 (13). C25-C34. ISSN 0003-6935 doi: 10.1364/AO.47.000C25
Hawkins, G. J., Sherwood, R. E., Barrett, B. M., Wallace, M., Orr, H. J. B., Matthews, K. and Bisht, S. (2008) High-performance infrared narrow-bandpass filters for the Indian National Satellite System meteorological instrument (INSAT-3D). Applied Optics, 47 (13). pp. 2346-2356. ISSN 0003-6935 doi: 10.1364/AO.47.002346
Hawkins, G. J., Sherwood, R. and Djotni, K. (2008) Mid-infrared filters for astronomical and remote sensing instrumentation. In: Kaiser, N., Lequime, M. and Mcleod, H. A. (eds.) Advances in optical thin films III. Proceedings of the Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers (SPIE), 7101. SPIE, 10114 -10114. ISBN 9780819473318 doi: DOI:10.1117/12.796635
Hawkins, G. J., Sherwood, R. E. and Barrett, B. M. (2007) Cooled Infrared Dichroic Beamsplitters and Filters for the MIRI Spectrometer and Imager (5-29µm). In: Optical Interference Coatings, OSA Technical Digest (CD). Optical Society of America. ISBN 1557528411
Hawkins, G.J., Sherwood, R. E., Barratt, B.M. and Wakeham, S.J. (2007) Mid-infrared filters for the diviner radiometer experiment on the lunar reconnaissance orbiter (7-40um). In: OSA Optical Interference Coatings Topical Meeting and Tabletop Exhibit, Tuscon, USA.
Hawkins, G., Hunneman, R., Sherwood, R. E. and Barrett, B. M. (2002) Interference filters and coatings for mid-infrared astronomy (8-30µm). In: AtadEttedgui, E. and Dodorico, S. (eds.) Specialized Optical Developments in Astronomy. Proceedings of the Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers (Spie), 4842. Spie-Int Soc Optical Engineering, Bellingham, pp. 43-55. ISBN 0277786X0819446211
Hawkins, G., Hunneman, R., Sherwood, R. and Barrett, B. (2000) Infrared filters and coatings for the High Resolution Dynamics Limb Sounder (6-18µm). Applied Optics, 39 (28). pp. 5221-5230. ISSN 0003-6935 doi: 10.1364/AO.39.005221
Hunneman, R., Sherwood, R., Deeley, C. and Spragg, R. (1998) Achieving accurate FTIR measurements on high performance bandpass filters. In: deHaseth, J.A. (ed.) Fourier Transform Spectroscopy. AIP Conference Proceedings (430). American Institute of Physics, pp. 435-438. ISBN 1563967464