- Specialist Areas:
This page provides links to training materials, project reports, guidelines, and other publications of the SSC.
- Understanding statistics: information to encourage good statistical practice
- Consultancy and research: reports resulting from projects/work involving SSC staff
- Publicity: brochures, flyers etc. advertising SSC activities
The material is for your personal use only. If you wish to make copies or redistribute the information, due acknowledgement should be given. Contact us for clarification.
1. Understanding statistics: information and resources to encourage good statistical practice
- Statistical Guidelines - covering a series of topics, originally written as part of a contract with the UK Government's Department for International Development (DFID) to give guidance to research and support staff working on DFID Natural Resources Projects. Rewritten and published in 2004 as a book.
- Two guides on Competent Data Management, produced under the Research Into Use Programme managed by NR International and funded by DFID:
- Guides on using Excel for statistics, for good statistical graphics (pdf) and for good tables (pdf).
- Writing Research Protocols - a statistical perspective (pdf)
- Writing Up Research - a statistical perspective (pdf)
- Analysis of Designed Experiments - a complete set of training notes for a course on the analysis of experimental data. The notes were produced in collaboration with the World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF), part supported by DFID. Earlier versionswere used on training courses in Tanzania, Kenya, Benin and Guinea.
- Research Data Management - a training course organised by the World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF).
- Integrating Qualitative and Quantitative Approaches - a methological framework for combining qualitative and quantitative methods in socio-economic survey work. A DFID-funded collaborative project with the Social and Economic Development Department, Natural Resources Institute.
- Diversity Indices - used in the analysis of multi-species ecological data.
- A printable booklet of Statistical Tables (PDF).
- Free software - GenStat - for African researchers (PDF).
2. Consultancy and research: reports resulting from projects/work involving SSC staff
Chapters from a publication (currently in press) of the Statistics Division, UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs: Household Surveys in Developing and Transition Countries: Design, Implementation and Analysis ...
- Chapter 18: Multivariate methods for index construction (S.Abeyasekera)
- Chapter 19: Statistical analysis of survey data (J.Chromy & S.Abeyasekera)
3. Publicity: materials advertising SSC activities
Last updated 2 December, 2009