Staff Profile:Dr Tim Vlandas
- Dr Tim Vlandas
- Job Title:
- Lecturer in Politics
- Co-convenor for graduate course on Quantitative Methods (PIM86)
- Convenor for Part 3 module 'International Political Economy' (PO3IPE)
- Convenor for Part 2 module 'Politics of the Welfare State' (PO2PWS)
Dr Tim Vlandas is a Lecturer in Politics, specialising in comparative political economy. He joined the department in September 2013 after working as a research officer in the government department at the London School of Economics.
His research has appeared in Socio-Economic Review, Journal of European Social Policy, Politics & Society, Journal of Common Market Studies, Comparative European Politics, European Journal of Industrial Relations, Political Quarterly, Journal of International and Comparative Labour Studies, Review of European Economic Policy, French Politics, and LSE Europe in Question. Tim is currently finishing a book (joint with Mark Thatcher) on Western policies towards Sovereign Wealth Funds' investments (under contract with Oxford University Press).
After an initial training in Economics (BSc, Southampton) and Development Economics (MSc with Distinction, SOAS), Tim specialised in European Political Economy (MSc with Distinction, LSE). His PhD, which was fully funded by the LSE in recognition for academic merit and research potential, analysed the political economy determinants of labour market policies in Western Europe.
Awards and Prizes:
- 2016: 2020 Research Fellowship (University of Reading)
- 2016: Award for best paper on European Politics&Society (American Political Science Association)
- 2015: Runner up prize in Best Research Output Competition (University of Reading)
- 2014: Celebrating Success Award (University of Reading)
- 2013: Doctoral researcher prize (European Network for Social Policy Analysis)
- 2012: Class Teaching Prize (London School of Economics and Political Science)
- 2009: PhD Scholarship (London School of Economics and Political Science)
- Areas of Interest:
- Comparative Political Economy
- Politics of macroeconomic policy
- Labour markets
- Sovereign Wealth Funds
- Welfare state policies
- Research groups / Centres:
YNumber of items: 17.
- Halikiopoulou, D. and Vlandas, T. (2017) Voting to leave: economic insecurity and the Brexit vote. In: Leruth, B., Startin, N. and Usherwood, S. (eds.) The Routledge handbook of Euroscepticism. Routledge Handbooks. Routledge, Abindon. ISBN 9781138784741 (In Press)
- Vlandas, T. (2016) Labour market developments and policy responses during and after the crisis in France. French Politics. ISSN 1476-3427 doi: 10.1057/s41253-016-0008-3
- Thatcher, M. and Vlandas, T. (2016) Overseas state outsiders as new sources of patient capital: government policies to welcome Sovereign Wealth Fund investment in France and Germany. Socio-Economic Review, 14 (4). pp. 647-668. ISSN 1475-1461 doi: 10.1093/ser/mww028
- Vlandas, T. (2016) The political effects of ageing on inflation. Intereconomics: Review of European Economic Policy, 51 (5). pp. 266-271. ISSN 1613-964X
- Vlandas, T. and Halikiopoulou, D., (2016) Why far right parties do well at times of crisis: the role of labour market institutions. Working Paper. European Trade Union Institute ISSN 1994-4446
- Vlandas, T. (2016) Coordination, inclusiveness and wage inequality between median and bottom income workers. Comparative European Politics. ISSN 1740-388X doi: 10.1057/cep.2016.25
- Vlandas, T. (2016) Explaining perceptions of the unemployed in Europe. E-journal of international and comparative labour studies, 5 (2). 365. ISSN 2280-4056
- Halikiopoulou, D. and Vlandas, T. (2016) Risks, costs and labour markets: explaining cross-national patterns of far right party success in European Parliament elections. Journal of Common Market Studies, 54 (3). pp. 636-655. ISSN 1468-5965 doi: 10.1111/jcms.12310
- Vlandas, T. (2016) The impact of the elderly on inflation rates in developed countries. LSE Europe in Question, March (107). pp. 1-66.
- Benassi, C. and Vlandas, T. (2016) Union inclusiveness and temporary agency workers: the role of power resources and union ideology. European Journal of Industrial Relations, 22 (1). pp. 5-22. ISSN 0959-6801 doi: 10.1177/0959680115589485
- Vlandas, T. (2016) Labour market performance and deregulation in France during and after the crisis. In: Myant , M. and Piasna , A. (eds.) Myths of employment deregulation. European Trade Union Institute, Brussels. (In Press)
- Halikiopoulou, D. and Vlandas, T. (2015) The rise of the far right in debtor and creditor European countries: the case of European Parliament elections. The Political Quarterly, 86 (2). pp. 279-288. ISSN 1467-923X doi: 10.1111/1467-923X.12168
- Vlandas, T. (2013) Essays on labour market dualisation in Western Europe: active labour market policies, temporary work regulation and inequality. PhD thesis, The London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE).
- Vlandas, T. (2013) The politics of temporary work deregulation in Europe: solving the French puzzle. Politics and Society, 41 (3). pp. 425-460. ISSN 1552-7514 doi: 10.1177/0032329213493754
- Vlandas, T. (2013) Mixing apples with oranges? Partisanship and active labour market policies in Europe. Journal of European Social Policy, 23 (1). pp. 3-20. doi: 10.1177/0958928712463161
- Vlandas, T. (2013) The politics of in-work benefits: The case of the ‘active income of solidarity’ in France. French Politics, 11 (2). pp. 117-142. ISSN 1476-3427 doi: 10.1057/fp.2013.6
- Vlandas, T., (2011) The dependent variable problem in quantitative studies of Active Labour Market Programmes: uncovering hidden dynamics? Working Paper. Working Papers on the Reconciliation of Work and Welfare in Europe , Edinburgh. pp32.
Selected Publications not cited on Centaur
Halikiopoulou, Daphne and Vlandas, Tim (2015) Austerity brings extremism: why the welfare state is the key to understanding the rise of Europe's far right. Huffington post. September 2015.
Vlandas, Tim (2014) Why Cameron is wrong on the 'cost' of migrants . New European Trade Unions Forum at LSE (17th December 2014) Blog Entry.
Vlandas, Tim (2013) Debunking the myth that keeps coming back: Excessive spending on labour market policies and benefit fraud in the UK New European Trade Unions Forum at LSE (1st May 2013) Blog Entry.
Vlandas, Tim (2013) Book Review: "The Political Economy of Collective Skill Formation " edited by Marius R. Busemeyer and Christine Trampusch. Oxford University Press, 2011. British Journal of Industrial Relations, Volume 51, Issue 1, pages 210-212.
Vlandas, Tim (2011) Dissecting the unions: the differences between unions and Labour's 'third way' agenda are not as great as they might seem . British Politics and Policy at LSE (30 Sep 2011) Blog Entry.
For more on Tim's background and current research, you can visit his personal website and his LinkedIn Profile. You can access Tim's publications on Research Gate and citations in Google Scholar Citations.
PhD. European Political Economy (LSE)
MSc. European Political Economy (LSE)
MSc. Development Economics (SOAS)
BSc. Economics (University of Southampton)