Staff Profile:Dr. Daphne Halikiopoulou
- Dr Daphne Halikiopoulou
- Job Title:
- Associate Professor
- Convenor of PO2CGP
- Convenor of PO3NAT
Office hours: Monday 12:30-14:30
Dr Daphne Halikiopoulou (PhD LSE) is Associate Professor in Comparative Politics. She has written extensively on radical nationalism, the politics of exclusion as well as the cultural and economic determinants of far right party support. She is author of Patterns of Secularization: Church, State and Nation in Greece and the Republic of Ireland (Ashgate 2011); co- editor of Nationalism and Globalisation: Conflicting or Complementary (Routledge 2011 with Sofia Vasilopoulou); and co-author of The Golden Dawn's Nationalist Solution: Explaining the rise of the far right in Greece (Palgrave Macmillan, 2015, with Sofia Vasilopoulou). Her research appears in the European Journal of Political Research, Journal of Common Market Studies, Government and Opposition, Nations and Nationalism and South European Society and Politics among others. She is currently working on insecurity and far right party support in Europe.
Information on Dr Halikiopoulou's most recent book The Golden Dawn's 'Nationalist Solution': Explaining the Rise of the Far Right in Greece (Reform and Transition in the Mediterranean) can be found here.
Impact and Outreach
Dr Halikiopoulou frequently appears on the media. She has been interviewed by the BBC World Service, BBC Radio Berkshire, BBC Radio Scotland, BBC Radio 4, BBC Radio5Live, Channel 4 News, France24 TV Live News, Bloomberg and the US-based Point of Inquiry. She also frequently writes blog-posts and opinion pieces. Her work and ideas have appeared in the Independent, Newsweek, The Huffington Post, The Conversation, Open Democracy, La Revue Nouvelle (Belgium), Lifo (Greece), The Scotsman, The Times Higher Education, Belgium Express, EUROPP, the Greek Kathimerini, Counterpoint, Financial Times and the Dutch De Volkskrant.
Dr Halikiopoulou has recently completed a Hellenic Observatory/ National Bank of Greece funded project entitled: 'Radicalising the Mainstream? The Rise of the Golden Dawn and its Impact on Greek Party Politics' (with Kyriaki Nanou, University of Nottingham, and Sofia Vasilopoulou, University of York). The project, which is part of the broader Comparative Agendas Project (CAP), examines the extreme right Golden Dawn and its impact on the dynamics of party competition in Greece (http://www.comparativeagendas.info).
Best Paper Award (2016), American Political Science Association (APSA) European Politics and Society Section for 'Risks, Costs and Labour Markets: Explaining cross-national patterns of far right party success in European Parliament Elections' (with Tim Vlandas).
- Areas of Interest:
Comparative European politics; nationalism and radical politics; far right parties; comparative methods; far left parties; political mobilisation; sociology of religion.
- Research groups / Centres:
- Dr Halikipoulou is Vice President of the Association for the Study of Ethnicity and Nationalism (ASEN) She is also an editor of Nations and Nationalism (Wiley).
YNumber of items: 23.
- Halikiopoulou, D. and Vlandas, T. (2017) Voting to leave: economic insecurity and the Brexit vote. In: Leruth, B., Startin, N. and Usherwood, S. (eds.) The Routledge handbook of Euroscepticism. Routledge Handbooks. Routledge, Abindon. ISBN 9781138784741 (In Press)
- Halikiopoulou, D., Vasilopoulou, S. and Nanou, K., (2016) Changing the policy agenda? The impact of the Golden Dawn on Greek party politics. GreeSE ( Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe). 103. Discussion Paper. Hellenic Observatory, LSE, London.
- Halikiopoulou, D. and Vasilopoulou, S. (2016) Political instability and the persistence of religion in Greece. The policy implications of the cultural defence paradigm. In: González, F. and D'Amato, G. (eds.) Multireligious Society Dealing with Religious Diversity in Theory and Practice. Ashgate, Abingdon. ISBN 9781472488022 (In Press)
- Vlandas, T. and Halikiopoulou, D., (2016) Why far right parties do well at times of crisis: the role of labour market institutions. Working Paper. European Trade Union Institute ISSN 1994-4446
- Halikiopoulou, D. and Vlandas, T. (2016) Risks, costs and labour markets: explaining cross-national patterns of far right party success in European Parliament elections. Journal of Common Market Studies, 54 (3). pp. 636-655. ISSN 1468-5965 doi: 10.1111/jcms.12310
- Halikiopoulou, D. and Vasilopoulou , S. (2016) Breaching the social contract: crises of democratic representation and patterns of extreme right party support. Government and Opposition. ISSN 1477-7053 doi: 10.1017/gov.2015.43
- Halikiopoulou, D. and Vasilopoulou, S. (2015) Η εθνικιστική λύση της Χρυσής Αυγής. Κρίση του έθνους κράτους και άνοδος της Ακρας δεξιάς στην Ελλάδα. Εκδόσεις Επίκεντρο, Thessaloniki. ISBN 9789604586233
- Vasilopoulou, S. and Halikiopoulou, D. (2015) Greek politics: economic crisis or crisis of democracy? World Affairs, 178 (3).
- Vasilopoulou, S. and Halikiopoulou, D. (2015) The Golden Dawn's 'nationalist solution': explaining the rise of the far right in Greece. Reform and Transition in the Mediterranean. Palgrave Pivot, London, pp96. ISBN 9781137487124
- Halikiopoulou, D. and Vasilopoulou, S. (2015) The rise of the Golden Dawn in Greece. In: Charalambous, G. (ed.) The European Far Right: Historical and Contemporary Perspectives. PRIO Cyprus Centre Report (2/2015). PRIO Cyprus Centre / Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung, Cyprus, pp. 23-28. ISBN 9788272886607
- Halikiopoulou, D. and Vlandas, T. (2015) The rise of the far right in debtor and creditor European countries: the case of European Parliament elections. The Political Quarterly, 86 (2). pp. 279-288. ISSN 1467-923X doi: 10.1111/1467-923X.12168
- Halikiopoulou, D. (2014) Radical left-wing Euroscepticism in the 2014 elections: a cross-European comparison. In: Is Europe afraid of Europe? An Assessment of the result of the 2014 European Elections. Wilfried Martens Centre for European Studies / Karamanlis Foundation, Athens, pp. 112-126.
- Halikiopoulou, D. and Vasilopoulou, S. (2014) Support for the far right in the 2014 European Parliament Elections: a comparative perspective. The Political Quarterly, 85 (3). pp. 285-288. ISSN 1467-923X doi: 10.1111/1467-923X.12102
- Vasilopoulou, S., Halikiopoulou, D. and Exadaktylos, T. (2014) Greece in crisis: austerity, populism and the politics of blame. Journal of Common Market Studies, 52 (2). pp. 388-402. ISSN 1468-5965 doi: 10.1111/jcms.12093
- Vasilopoulou, S. and Halikiopoulou, D. (2013) In the shadow of Grexit: the Greek election of 17 June 2012. South European Society and Politics , 18 (4). pp. 523-542. ISSN 1743-9612 doi: 10.1080/13608746.2013.779784
- Halikiopoulou, D., Mock, S. and Vasilopoulou, S. (2013) The civic zeitgeist: nationalism and liberal values in the European radical right. Nations and Nationalism, 19 (1). pp. 107-127. ISSN 1469-8129 doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8129.2012.00550.x
- Halikiopoulou, D. and Vasilopoulou, S. (2013) Political instability and the persistence of religion in Greece: the policy implications of the cultural defence paradigm. RECODE working paper series (18). ISSN 2242-3559
- Halikiopoulou, D. and Vasilopoulou, S. (2013) The Rise of the Golden Dawn. In: Giusto, H., Kitching, D. and Rizzo, S. (eds.) The Changing Faces of Populism: Systemic Challengers in Europe and the U.S. Foundation for European Progressive Studies, Brussels , pp. 107-124. ISBN 9782930769011
- Halikiopoulou, D., Nanou, K. and Vaslopoulou, S. (2012) The paradox of nationalism: the common denominator of radical right and radical left euroscepticism. European Journal of Political Research, 51 (4). pp. 504-539. ISSN 0304-4130 doi: 10.1111/j.1475-6765.2011.02050.x
- Halikiopoulou, D. and Vasilopoulou, S., eds. (2011) Nationalism and globalisation: conflicting or complementary. Routledge, pp208. ISBN 9780415581974
- Halikiopoulou, D. (2010) Patterns of secularization: church, state and nation in Greece and the Republic of Ireland. Ashgate , pp202. ISBN 9781409403456
- Halikiopoulou, D. and Vasilopoulou, S. (2010) Towards a ‘civic’ narrative: British national identity and the transformation of the British National Party. Political Quarterly, 81 (4). pp. 583-592. ISSN 1467-923X doi: 10.1111/j.1467-923X.2010.02129.x
- Asari, E. M., Halikiopoulou, D. and Mock, S. (2008) British national identity and the dilemmas of multiculturalism. Nationalism and Ethnic Politics, 14 (1). pp. 1-28. ISSN 1557-2986 doi: 10.1080/13537110701872444
Links to Book Publications
- (2010) Patterns of Secularization ashgate-patternsofsecularization
- (2011) Nationalism and globalisation routledge-nationalismandglobalisation
(2015) The Golden Dawn's Nationalist Solution http://www.palgrave.com/page/detail/the-golden-dawns-nationalist-solution-sofia-vasilopoulou/?isb=9781137487124
Selected Publications not cited on Centaur
Blog articles, Newspapers and other news sites:
07/07/15 The No Vote threatens democracy in Greece, Newsweek, with Sofia Vasilopoulou (http://www.newsweek.com/no-vote-threatens-democracy-greece-351044)
06/07/15 Greek crisis: As Greece spirals towards disaster, a new era of extremist politics begins, The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/greek-referendum-as-greece-spirals-towards-disaster-a-new-era-of-extremist-politics-begins-10368012.html)
02/07/15 How Greece crisis sparked a new era of extremist politics, The Conversation, with Sofia Vasilopoulou (https://theconversation.com/how-greece-crisis-sparked-a-new-era-of-extremist-politics-44193)
23/06/15 Why the Golden Dawn is a Neo-Nazi Party, Huffington Post (http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/daphne-halikiopoulou/golden-dawn_b_7643868.html)
12/05/15 Golden Dawn's Nationalist Solution: Explaining the Rise of the Far Right in Greece, LSE EUROPP Blog, with Sofia Vasilopoulou (http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2015/05/12/golden-dawns-nationalist-solution-explaining-the-rise-of-the-far-right-in-greece/)
09/02/15 'Mandagsanalyse: Det græske valg om frygt og håb', Politiken (Denmark)
05/02/15 'Élections grecques, l'espoir en chemin ?', La Revue Nouvelle (Belgium), with Sofia Vasilopoulou http://www.revuenouvelle.be/Elections-grecques-l-espoir-en-chemin
28/01/15 'The Significance of the Golden Dawn as third party in parliament', Lifo Newspaper (Greece) with Sofia Vasilopoulou http://www.lifo.gr/mag/features/4677
28/01/15 LSE EUROPP Blog 'Syriza won with a radical left programme, but keeping the middle class on side may be key to retaining power' (with Sofia Vasilopoulou) http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2015/01/28/syriza-won-the-greek-elections-on-a-radical-left-platform-but-keeping-the-middle-class-on-side-may-be-key-to-retaining-power/
04/06/14 Scapegoating Europe? How discontent with domestic politics determined the EU vote (with Sofia Vasilopoulou), Open Democracy, https://www.opendemocracy.net/can-europe-make-it/daphne-halikiopoulou-sofia-vasilopoulou/scapegoating-europe-how-discontent-with-d
27/05/14 Golden Dawn's success in the European elections shows the party now has a stable support base among Greek voters (with Sofia Vasilopoulou), LSE European Politics and Policy (EUROPP) blog, http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2014/05/27/golden-dawns-success-in-the-european-elections-shows-the-party-now-has-a-stable-support-base-among-greek-voters/
22/05/14 Review of Revolt on the Right: Explaining Support for the Radical Right in Britain, by Robert Ford and Matthew J. Goodwin, The Times Higher Education, (http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/books/revolt-on-the-right-explaining-support-for-the-radical-right-in-britain-by-robert-ford-and-matthew-j-goodwin/2013387.article)
24/09/13 The Rise of the Golden Dawn casts a Shadow on Greek Politics, Huffington post, http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/daphne-halikiopoulou/golden-dawn-casts-a-shadow_b_3974742.html
15/10/12 Greece's response to austerity has been to say "no to the Fourth Reich" but yes to the neo-Nazism of the Golden Dawn (with Sofia Vasilopoulou), LSE European Politics and Policy (EUROPP) blog http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2012/10/15/greece-golden-dawn/
24/06/12 Kathimerini newspaper, 'Τα «ατυχήματα» που απειλούν την οικονομία' (The accidents that threaten Greek economy) (http://news.kathimerini.gr/4dcgi/_w_articles_economy_2_24/06/2012_486714
21/06/12 The recent elections may have only postponed Greece's default and Eurozone exit (with Sofia Vasilopoulou), LSE European Politics and Policy (EUROPP) Blog (http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2012/06/21/greece-elections-postponed-eurozone-exit/
15/06/12 Golden Dawn, SYRIZA or a pro-memorandum party? Counterpoint (http://counterpoint.uk.com/publications/golden-dawn-syriza-or-a-pro-memorandum-party/)
01/06/12 Interview with Dutch newspaper 'De Volksrant' on clientelism in Greece (http://www.volkskrant.nl/vk/nl/2844/Archief/archief/article/detail/3272013/2012/06/16/Bedriegen-en-uitmelken-hoort-er-gewoon-bij.dhtml)
10/05/12 New elections in Greece seem increasingly likely, further damaging the country's credibility (with Sofia Vasilopoulou), LSE European Politics and Policy (EUROPP) Blog (http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2012/05/10/greek-election-result-new-elections-june/)
07/05/12 Financial Times article 'Franco-German relations faces early Test', http://twitter.com/#!/LSEGovernment/status/199871981393428480
30/04/12 Socio-economic volatility and the rise of anti-establishment politics will characterise Greece's most important election in nearly 40 years. The likely outcome is a coalition government, but will it be able to undertake the substantive reforms Greece badly needs?(with Sofia Vasilopoulou), LSE European Politics and Policy (EUROPP) Blog (http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2012/04/30/socio-economic-volatility-and-the-rise-of-anti-establishment-politics-will-characterise-greeces-most-important-election-in-nearly-40-years-the-likely-outcome-is-a-coalition-government-but-will-it/)
07/03/12 As long as cartelisation, patronage, and corruption dominate Greek politics, economic reforms will be doomed to failure (with Sofia Vasilopoulou), LSE European Politics and Policy (EUROPP) Blog (http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2012/03/07/greek-politics-corruption-cartelisation/)
17/12/10 Moving from a race-based agenda to a focus on civic virtue has aided the BNP's resurgence in the last decade (with Sofia Vasilopoulou), British Politics and Policy at LSE (http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/2010/12/17/moving-from-a-race-based-agenda-to-a-focus-on-civic-virtue-has-aided-the-bnp%E2%80%99s-resurgence-in-the-last-decade/