Special Collections Services
Special Collections Services give access to the University of Reading's collections of rare books, archives and manuscripts, and the Museum of English Rural Life (MERL) library and archives.
The collections are located in the same building as the Museum of English Rural Life on Redlands Road adjacent to the London Road Campus of the University. They can be consulted in the Reading Room.
- Opening hours
- How to find us
- Using the Reading Room
- Requesting items in advance
- Teaching and research facilities
- Open Access book collections
The Special Collections Services and the are housed in a Grade II listed building, which was originally known as East Thorpe, the home of Sir Alfred Palmer of the Huntley and Palmers biscuit company.
East Thorpe was designed and built by the architect Alfred Waterhouse between 1880–1882. This building was later acquired by the University, and was extended to form St. Andrews Hall, a University hall of residence. The hall closed in 2001.
This online exhibition provides more information about the history of the building.