Buckland Parish Library

The collection consists of the library of All Saints, Buckland, Oxfordshire (formerly Berkshire). It comprises around 70 works, mainly 18th century English, and is overwhelmingly theological and ecclesiastical in emphasis. It includes a copy of the 'Breeches Bible' (Geneva, 1560), and various editions of the works of John Rogers, DD, sometime curate of Buckland. Also present is an Oxford binding, probably by John Westall, on Casaubon De rebus sacris (1614). There are two STC, ten+ Wing, 35+ ESTC items, also five 16th century and nine 17th century continental works.

The early history of the library is not known. It is listed by T. Kelly in Early public libraries as an endowed library, probably founded in the 17th century, but three books have the plate of the Bray Trustees, and at least one other is uniformly bound. Other volumes were donated at various times. The collection was transferred to the Old Manor House, Buckland, in 1951, and to the University Library in 1969 on permanent deposit.

More information

  • The collection is catalogued and appears on Enterprise
  • A handlist is available at the Special Collections Service
  • T. Kelly Early public libraries, 1966, p245.
    Directory of parochial libraries: England and Wales. Rev. ed., Bibliographical Society, 2004.
church history & theology printed books (pre-1850) buckland

Page navigation

 

Search Form

A-Z lists