About us

Introduction to the Museum of English Rural Life and Special Collections

Playback: High | Low 

Download: High | Low (right-click to save)

Special Collections are part of University Museums and Special Collections Services (UMASCS), which brings together the museums with the University's collections of rare books, archives and manuscripts.

UMASCS is part of University Library Collections Services (ULCS) headed by Julia Munro.

The Special Collections Services are housed in a Grade II listed building, which was originally known as East Thorpe, the home of Sir Alfred Palmer of the Huntley and Palmers biscuit company.

East Thorpe was designed and built by the architect Alfred Waterhouse between 1880–1882. This building was later acquired by the University, and was extended to form St. Andrews Hall, a University hall of residence. The hall closed in 2001.

This online exhibition provides more information on the history of the building.

Things to do now

Page navigation

 

Search Form

A-Z lists