Our webinars, virtual taster sessions and online courses give you the chance to explore studying your chosen subject at university-level from the comfort of your own home.
PREPARING FOR UNIVERSITY SESSIONS (UK STUDENTS)
Our live sessions give you a great opportunity to hear from our staff and students on different aspects of choosing and applying to university. If you cannot attend our live webinars but would still like to hear the presentation, please sign up and we will send you a recording of the session.
If you are a teacher or adviser looking for a talk or workshop specifically for your school/college, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or see our Activities for schools pages for more information.
- Studying at university – Wednesday 25 November 16:30
- Finding the right university for you – Thursday 3 December 18:00
- Student finance for UK students – Wednesday 9 December 16:30
- Alternative Routes to Higher Education series: Student life – Thursday 10 December 13:30
Personal Statement workshops:
These online, interactive sessions are designed to help you create a personal statement to be proud of. We’ll be hearing from admissions tutors and flagging some common pitfalls, as well providing some examples and planning sheets to help you get started.
- What to include and writing an introduction, Tuesday 10 November 16:30
- How to structure ABC paragraphs and writing a conclusion, Tuesday 17 November 16:30
- Cutting down the wordcount, common ‘mistakes’ and what’s next, Tuesday 24 November 16:30
"Things I wish I had known about…" podcast
Every week we talk informally about the things we wish we could go back and tell our former selves when taking the next step to university.
- New sessions coming soon.
I really enjoyed the pre-virtual open day webinar about how to prepare. It was very useful, and it allowed me to develop a list of questions for the open day that I knew I wanted to find out about!
Parents and supporters
We recognise that as a parent or supporter of a young person going to University you will have lots of questions yourself about how the process works and how best to support your young person. Throughout the Autumn term we will be providing a series of webinars specifically for Parents and Supporters. In order to be kept informed about when these events are taking place and other usual information about the University process please sign up to receive our Parents and Supporters newsletter.
Virtual 1-2-1 Meetings (International Students)
In response to the global pandemic, the international recruitment team is pleased to offer international and EU students the opportunity to book a virtual 1-2-1 with a regional specialist.
What you can expect during your 1-2-1 session:
- information about your chosen academic programme, whether this be foundation, undergraduate or postgraduate
- advice on our application process and what you'll need to prepare to apply
- any further information you need about accommodation and life at Reading.
Our virtual taster events allow you to sample lectures and practical sessions, work alongside other students interested in the same subject, meet our enthusiastic staff and current students, and get a real feel for life at the University of Reading. We also run a range of one-hour long subject webinars which will give you a taste of what it’s like to study that subject at degree level with plenty of opportunities for questions.
For more details and to book a place on one of our upcoming sessions, see our subject taster pages.
Online Live Chat with Current Students
In our live chat sessions, our student ambassadors will be on hand to answer your questions and share their experiences, hints and tips on studying and living at the University of Reading. Our sessions are themed and relate to different aspects of applying to, or studying and life at the University.
- Ask the University's Global Recruitment & Admissions Team anything about perfecting your personal statement Thursday 5 November 16:00
- Ask a student anything about extra-curricular activities at university Thursday 12 November 16:00
- Ask a student anything about Student life at Reading Thursday 26 November 16:00
- Ask a student anything about budgeting and money at university Thursday 10 December 16:00
“Very friendly presenters, all questions answered honestly and in full. Possibly one of the most helpful webinars I've attended to date!”
General webinars (International students)
Our international team deliver a series of short webinars throughout the year to help international students prepare to study in the UK.
Topics covered include UCAS and applying, visas & immigration, accommodation and support for international students. All webinars include a live Q&A session.
If you are unable to attend one of our live sessions or webinars, please listen to our recorded sessions discussing some of the key university topics.
Free online courses
We have developed a wide range of free online courses which allow you to explore an exciting choice of topics in your own time.
- Live Smart: Your Essential Guide to Living at University
- University Smart: A Parent and Supporter’s Guide to University Entry
- A Level Study Boost: Unseen Poetry and the Creative Process
- Guides to Writing in English for University Study
- Range of subject specific topics from Robotics to Heart Health
Meet us at a virtual event
We regularly attend events across the UK and all over the world, giving you the opportunity to find out more about the University and our courses. Although it is not currently possible to meet us in person, we are attending a number of virtual events so that you can still get the information you need.