Our PhD by Distance programme is designed to support students who need to study for most of their registration period at another (normally overseas) site.
This may apply when:
- the nature of the research project requires substantial access to resources and facilities located away from Reading
- you have employment commitments relevant to your research that prevent you from being based in Reading
- it has been agreed as part of a specific partnership/sponsorship arrangement.
Candidates can apply to study on a full-time or part-time basis.
In addition to meeting the standard academic and language eligibility requirements, you must be able to demonstrate that you:
- can successfully conduct your research with the resources available to you at your off-campus study site
- have access to appropriate IT facilities so that you can engage in supervision and training from your off-campus study site
- have the necessary time, commitment and appropriate attitude towards studying off-campus.
What the programme offers
You will receive:
- supervision from one or more leading University of Reading academics working at the forefront of their field
- access to high quality training, delivered on-campus and/or via bespoke online packages
- a reduced tuition fee rate – half the standard full-time or part-time tuition fee for periods when studying off-campus.
During my PhD by Distance, I undertook my research in the field in South Africa. This experience enabled me to develop a much deeper and intricate understanding of my research topic, which would not have been possible if I had been based in Reading for most of the time.
How to apply
Contact the relevant academic School or Department at the University of Reading to make an initial enquiry.
Once it has been agreed that you have the appropriate academic background, the proposed research topic is acceptable to the School/Department, and that the PhD can be carried out at a distance, you will need to make a formal application through the University’s online application system, highlighting that you wish to study for a PhD by Distance.
8th in the world for support
In the latest International Student Barometer (autumn 2015, i-graduate), a global study which assesses the satisfaction of international students, the University of Reading Graduate School ranked 2nd in the UK and 8th in the world for support with a satisfaction level of 96%.
We offer a wide range of postgraduate research opportunities.