Why Create an Open Online Course?
Share your expert teaching and research with a global audience of thousands, through carefully crafted online courses developed with expert advice and support from our online course developers.
"I found Nicky and her team exceptionally useful and helpful. They have an enthusiasm for these courses and could give plenty of advice about the structure and make useful comments about how we implemented the course"
- Professor Richard Mitchell, Cybernetics and University Teaching Fellow, Department of Computer Science, and Lead Educator, Begin Robotics.
WHat are the benefits of creating an online course?
An online course offers an exciting and interactive way to reach new audiences.
- Over 800,000 learners reached by University of Reading online courses
- Learners from 190 countries across the world
- Learners appreciate being able to access new subjects and pursue their passions in their own time. They can chat to other learners as they progress as well as seek advice from our trained mentors.
- FutureLearn courses are free for anyone to take but they also offer a paid-for 'upgrade' option for those learners who would like to purchase a certificate of completion as evidence of their learning/CPD.
- We provide a tailored solution for every online course we create, working with you to provide as much or as little support as you need. Our experience in designing and producing these popular courses means we can work with you to help you develop engaging online content led by your academic expertise.
Whilst developing an online course can be a fantastic way of showcasing excellent University research and teaching, there are also a number of more tangible benefits to academics and their Schools, such as recruitment, widening participation and enhancing research impact. University academics have seen applicants come to Reading courses from OOCs, and have used our track record of delivering university expertise to large audiences in their grant applications.
We'd be happy to discuss your requirements in further detail and how an online course might meet your needs.
Do you have an idea for a course?
Find out how to get started if you have an idea for a new course.