The FLAIR CPD scheme is an internal peer-review process to enable experienced staff members to gain professional recognition for their work in teaching and learning. The scheme is accredited by the Higher Education Academy (HEA) and allows us to award all four categories of HEA Fellowship (Associate Fellow, Fellow, Senior Fellow and Principal Fellow).
Who can apply?
All colleagues with experience of teaching and/or supporting learning in higher education can apply for professional recognition through the scheme. The CPD scheme also supports colleagues who already have Fellowship in reapplying for a new category of Fellowship in recognition of experience gained since the initial award.
The scheme is for experienced staff, so how much experience do I need?
To meet the assessment requirements (the relevant Descriptors of the UKPSF) applicants need to demonstrate sustained impact on teaching and learning within a Higher Education context. It is, therefore, expected that applicants will usually have been teaching or supporting learning in HE for a period of three years or more. However, it is the applicant's impact that is most important, not simply the period of service or number of contact hours with learners.
What support will I receive?
- regular writing workshops and retreats where experienced FLAIR CPD tutors will support you with writing your application
- a growing community of people with Fellowship across the institution who can provide informal support.
- A dedicated webpage including useful resources, examples and screencasts for each category of fellowship.
What to do next
- watch the screencasts and look at the relevant handbook to learn more about what is involved (select from menu below)
- begin planning the timeline for your application by looking at the key dates.
- book a place on a writing workshop by visiting Employee Self-Service
Learn more about the CPD Route and the different resources available
Should you experience any difficulty accessing the webpages (for example, being redirected to the University homepage), please visit the IT support page.
Applying for Associate fellowship
Resources for those working towards Associate Fellowship
Applying for Fellowship
Resources for those working towards Fellowship
applying for senior fellowship
Resources for those working towards Senior Fellowship
applying for principal fellowship
Resources for those working towards Principal Fellowship