Dr Michiko Sakaki
- + 44 (0)118 378 7556
Areas of Interest
My research aims to understand how emotion affects cognitive processing, such as memory, attention and decision making, by combining behavioural and brain imaging techniques. I'm also interested in how the effects of emotion change across the adult lifespan.
Research groups / Centres
Psychopathology and Affective Neuroscience; Stats
PhD Educational Psychology
Personal Lab Page
- Clewett, D., Sakaki, M., Hyang, R., Nielsen, S. and Mara, M. (2017) Arousal amplifies biased competition between high and low priority memories more in women than in men: the role of elevated noradrenergic activity. Psychoneuroendocrinology, 80. pp. 80-91. ISSN 1873-3360 doi: 10.1016/j.psyneuen.2017.02.022 (In Press)
- Nashiro, K., Sakaki, M., Braskie, M. N. and Mather, M. (2017) Resting-state networks associated with cognitive processing show more age-related decline than those associated with emotional processing. Neurobiology of Aging. ISSN 0197-4580 (In Press)
- Mather, M., Clewett, D., Sakaki, M. and Harley, C. W. (2017) GANEing traction: the broad applicability of NE hotspots to diverse cognitive and arousal phenomena. Behavioral and Brain Sciences, 39. e228. ISSN 0140-525X doi: 10.1017/S0140525X16000017
- Clewett, D., Sakaki, M., Nielsen, S., Petzinger, G. and Mather, M. (2017) Noradrenergic mechanisms of arousal’s bidirectional effects on episodic memory. Neurobiology of Learning and Memory, 137. pp. 1-14. ISSN 1074-7427 doi: 10.1016/j.nlm.2016.10.017
- Sakaki, M., Yoo, H. J., Lin, N., Lee, T.-H., Thayer, J. F. and Mather, M. (2016) Heart rate variability is associated with amygdala functional connectivity with MPFC across younger and older adults. NeuroImage, 139. pp. 44-52. ISSN 1053-8119 doi: 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2016.05.076
- Barber, S. J., Opitz, P. C., Martins, B., Sakaki, M. and Mather, M. (2016) Thinking about a limited future enhances the positivity of younger and older adults’ recall: support for socioemotional selectivity theory. Memory & Cognition, 44 (6). pp. 869-882. ISSN 1532-5946 doi: 10.3758/s13421-016-0612-0
- Mather, M., Clewett, D., Sakaki, M. and Hearley, C. W. (2015) Norepinephrine ignites local hot spots of neuronal excitation: how arousal amplifies selectivity in perception and memory. Behavioral and Brain Sciences. ISSN 0140-525X doi: 10.1017/S0140525X15000667
- Lee, T.-H., Sakaki, M., Cheng, R., Velasco, R. and Mather, M. (2014) Emotional arousal amplifies the effects of biased competition in the brain. Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience, 9 (12). pp. 2067-2077. ISSN 1749-5024 doi: 10.1093/scan/nsu015
- Sakaki, M., Ycaza-Herrera, A. E. and Mather, M. (2014) Association learning for emotional harbinger cues: When do previous emotional associations impair and when do they facilitate subsequent learning of new associations? Emotion, 14 (1). pp. 115-129. ISSN 1931-1516 doi: 10.1037/a0034320
- Sakaki, M. (2014) Effects of emotion on memory. In: Kitagami , S. and Hayashi, H. (eds.) How the mind works. Nakanishiya, Kyoto. (In Press)
- Sakaki, M., Fryer, K. and Mather, M. (2014) Emotion strengthens high priority memory traces but weakens low priority memory traces. Psychological Science, 25 (2). pp. 387-395. ISSN 0956-7976 doi: 10.1177/0956797613504784
- Sakaki, M., Kuhbandner, C., Mather, M. and Pekrun, R. (2014) Memory suppression can help people “unlearn” behavioral responses—but only for nonemotional memories. Psychonomic Bulletin & Review, 21 (1). pp. 136-141. ISSN 1069-9384 doi: 10.3758/s13423-013-0480-6
- Sakaki, M. (2014) Research methods in social psychology. In: Shimoyama, H. (ed.) Handbook of Cognitive Psychology. Yuhikaku, Tokyo. (In Press)
- Murayama, K., Sakaki, M., Yan, V. X. and Smith, G. (2014) Type-1 error inflation in the traditional by-participant analysis to metamemory accuracy: a generalized mixed-effects model perspective. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory & Cognition, 40 (5). pp. 1287-1306. ISSN 0278-7393 doi: 10.1037/a0036914
- Mather, M., Nga, L., Sakaki, M. and Nashiro, K. (2013) Age-related similarities and differences in brain activity underlying reversal learning. Frontiers in Integrative Neuroscience, 7. ISSN 1662-5145 doi: 10.3389/fnint.2013.00037
- Sakaki, M., Nga, L. and Mather, M. (2013) Amygdala functional connectivity with medial prefrontal cortex at rest predicts the positivity effect in older adults’ memory. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, 25 (8). pp. 1206-1224. ISSN 0898-929X doi: 10.1162/jocn_a_00392
- Sakaki, M. and Murayama, K. (2013) Automatic ability attribution after failure: a dual process view of achievement attribution. PLoS ONE, 8 (5). e63066. ISSN 1932-6203 doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0063066
- Nashiro, K., Sakaki, M., Huffman, D. and Mather, M. (2013) Both younger and older adults have difficulty updating emotional memories. The Journals of Gerontology Series B: Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences, 68 (2). pp. 224-227. ISSN 1079-5014 doi: 10.1093/geronb/gbs039
- Sakaki, M. and Mather, M. (2012) How reward and emotional stimuli induce different reactions across the menstrual cycle. Social and Personality Psychology Compass, 6 (1). pp. 1-17. ISSN 1751-9004 doi: 10.1111/j.1751-9004.2011.00415.x
- Nashiro, K., Sakaki, M. and Mather, M. (2012) Age differences in brain activity during emotion processing: reflections of age-Related decline or increased emotion regulation? Gerontology, 58 (2). pp. 156-163. ISSN 0304-324X doi: 10.1159/000328465
- Sakaki, M., Niki, N. and Mather, M. (2012) Beyond arousal and valence: the importance of the biological versus social relevance of emotional stimuli. Cognitive, Affective, & Behavioral Neuroscience, 12 (1). pp. 115-139. ISSN 1531-135X doi: 10.3758/s13415-011-0062-x
- Nashiro, K., Sakaki, M., Nga, L. and Mather, M. (2012) Differential brain activity during emotional versus nonemotional reversal learning. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, 24 (8). pp. 1794-1805. ISSN 0898-929X doi: 10.1162/jocn_a_00245
- Lighthall, R. N., Sakaki, M., Vasunilashorn, S., Nga, L., Somayajula, S., Chen, E. Y., Samii, N. and Mather, M. (2012) Sex differences in reward-related decision processing under stress. Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience, 7 (4). pp. 476-484. ISSN 1749-5024 doi: 10.1093/scan/nsr026
- Sakaki, M., Gorlick, M. A. and Mather, M. (2011) Differential interference effects of negative emotional states on subsequent semantic and perceptual processing. Emotion, 11 (6). pp. 1263-1278. ISSN 1931-1516 doi: 10.1037/a0026329
- Sakaki, M. and Niki, K. (2011) Effects of the brief viewing of emotional stimuli on understanding of insight solutions. Cognitive, Affective, & Behavioral Neuroscience, 11 (4). pp. 526-540. ISSN 1531-135X doi: 10.3758/s13415-011-0051-0
- Sakaki, M., Niki, K. and Mather, M. (2011) Updating existing emotional memories involves the frontopolar/orbitofrontal cortex in ways that acquiring new emotional memories does not. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, 23 (11). pp. 3498-3514. ISSN 0898-929X doi: 10.1162/jocn_a_00057
- Sakaki, M. (2010) Self-knowledge and its function. In: Murata, K. (ed.) Advances in cognitive psychology. Vol 6: Social affective cognitive sciences. Kitaoji press, Kyoto.
- Sakaki, M. (2007) Mood and recall of autobiographical memory: the effect of focus of self-knowledge. Journal of Personality, 75 (3). pp. 421-450. ISSN 1467-6494 doi: 10.1111/j.1467-6494.2007.00444.x
- Sakaki, M. (2007) Semantic self-knowledge and episodic self-knowledge: Independent or interrelated representations? Memory, 15 (1). pp. 1-16. ISSN 0965-8211 doi: 10.1080/09658210601055750
- Sakaki, M. (2007) The organization of emotionally autobiographical memories: How emotional knowledge for personal events is represented in autobiographical knowledge base? Japanese Journal of Educational Psychology (55). pp. 184-196.
- Sakaki, M. (2006) Distinction between semantic and episodic memory: The underlying mechanisms for autonoetic consciousness. Japanese Psychological Review, 49. pp. 627-643.
- Sakaki, M. (2006) Effects of structure of self-knowledge on mood-incongruent effect. Japanese Journal of Psychology, 77. pp. 217-226.
- Sakaki, M. (2006) Emotion and memory. In: Kitamura , H. and Kimura, H. (eds.) Advances in research on emotion. Nakanishiya, Kyoto, pp. 93-111.
- Kimura, H., Sakaki, M. and Kitamura, H. (2006) Research methods for emotion studies. In: Kitamura , H. and Kimura, H. (eds.) Advances in research on emotion. Nakanishiya, Kyoto, pp. 43-64.
- Sakaki, M. (2006) The measurement of self-complexity: A comparison of H and SC measures. Japanese Journal of Personality, 15. pp. 58-60.
- Sakaki, M. (2005) Nature of autobiographical memory that facilitates improvement of negative moods. Japanese Journal of Psychology, 76. pp. 169-175.